It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yikes - Krakatau volcano - level raised to three - showing major activity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Yikes, krakatoa is showing increased activity - 175 tremors since Weds. Authorities have raised the alert status to "level three". For those of you not familiar with Krakatoa - here is a little info.

The last big eruption was in 1883 - equivalent to 200 megatons or 13000 Hiroshimas.

More information about the eruption:
www.drgeorgepc.com...

Over a century ago, on August 26,1883, the island volcano of Krakatau ("Krakatoa") in Indonesia, a virtually unknown volcanic island with a history of violent volcanic activity, exploded with devastating fury. The eruption was one of the most catastrophic natural disasters in recorded history. The effects were experienced on a global scale. Fine ashes from the eruption were carried by upper level winds as far away as New York City. The explosion was heard more than 3000 miles away. Volcanic dust blew into the upper atmosphere affecting incoming solar radiation and the earth's weather for several years.

A series of large tsunami waves generated by the main explosion, some reaching a height of nearly 40 meters (more than 120 feet) above sea level, killed more than 36,000 people in the coastal towns and villages along the Sunda Strait on Java and Sumatra islands. Tsunami waves were recorded or observed throughout the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the American West Coast, South America, and even as far away as the English Channel.

Krakatau from all information I have found, is the largest volcanic eruption in man's history on Earth.

If krakatau erupted, our weather would be affected for years on a global basis.

It is not a good thing, Krakatau is showing major activity right now.

Link to article about recent activity:

www.thejakartapost.com...

Meanwhile, the number of eruptions of Mt. Anak Krakatau, an active volcano on the Sunda Strait, reached 175 as of Wednesday, enough to raise its alert status to level three.

Jumono, an official of the Mt. Anak Karakatau monitoring team in Cinangka district, Serang, West Java, said that it is currently too dangerous to visit the mountain.

The article is primary about another volcano that has awoken there, Krakatau is mentioned in passing.

But even as small of a mention it got, it sure did raise my eyebrows.

I know I have watched many shows about it before on the Discovery and History channels.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9151961a1e21.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 27-4-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yikes.. What else is in the cards for us? This is just too much..>When is the next train off this planet? Seriously though. Volcanoes scare the crap out of me.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I clearly remember that documentary and it was one horrible event in our history. I have not been following volcanic activity but did notice there was a fairly good sized one in Mexico, like they need any more trouble now.

Is that considered as big a threat as Yellowstone blowing? I have read about that and I hope I am long gone before that one blows.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What's next? A nuclear terrorist attack?

We already have:

- Possible pandemic
- Economic collapse

... that's already enough for me.

There was an earthquake of 5.0 about 200 km west of the volcano earlier today...

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I hope Iran doesn't see all this as a signal to bring in the apocalypse. ugh.

(I thought Iwas the only one who used the word yikes!)

Volcanoes, geesh, all I can hear in my mind is "Lions, tigers and bears, oh my!"

except more or less, (Economic Depression, Climate change, disease pandemic, volcanoe catastrophe, war, OH MY!"

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Actually Yellowstone would be much worst. Yellowstone could be an "extinction" event, Krakatoa is only half civilzation die off event. I remember that from a documentary I watched about it. But that does seem to actually be right I wouldn't think, really the history would have to be looked at, after the 1883 event, to how many people died over the years afterwards and what type of crop failures there were.

I hate to say it that way, but if Krakatoa blows then ash would be in our atomsphere for years - which would cause cold weather and crops not to grow etc. In other words - it is not as bad as Yellowstone - but... it is not completely apples and oranges either there is an inbetween.

This would definitely not be a good thing - it would be life changing for everyone on Earth in one way or another.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Should Krakatau blow, it would not necessarily do so as large as before, could be larger, then again, maybe a hiccup.

What is more, there is nothing to be done about it, so no cause for panic...yet.

IF it does prove to be a major event, we would not have to be so concerned about being overwhelmed by cap and trade legislation. We'd have to concern ourselves with keeping warm.

There is sufficient power generation to grow food in-doors, at least for a good while, and for some, but not all of the population. Sure glad we have the nukes
to supply that power, France is in an enviable position, should this occur.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I can think of something worst:

Lets say Krakatau and Yellowstone went boom at the same time.

Nowhere would be safe, it would probably trigger every last volcano in the ring of fire to go boom the amount of shaking in the earths crust would probably make Cape Verde sink into the ocean giving you an tsunami in the Atlantic wiping out the Americas, Europe, Africa and one in the Indian from Krakatau wiping out India, Southeast Asia, Australia, Southwestern Asia, East Africa.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I wonder if overall cooling trends can cause enough contraction of the earth's crust to widen the gaps in it, causing increased earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Yes, a strange idea probably with little basis in reality.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A few pictures with info

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95b1ddcfa069.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8214dde8fc6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a10fb432dd1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99535c9de0d6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56d820eaf8bf.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff7c61a182b6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c70bcb32823d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14b58e6bacaa.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28facef530b6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You seems to know a lot about this volcano and volcanoes in general...

Do you think it will erupt?
When do you think it would erupt if it does? Next week or in 3 months?
Is the volcano under the water... from the graphic it looks like that, but from the pictures no....

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I hope Iran doesn't see all this as a signal to bring in the apocalypse. ugh.

(I thought Iwas the only one who used the word yikes!)

Volcanoes, geesh, all I can hear in my mind is "Lions, tigers and bears, oh my!"

except more or less, (Economic Depression, Climate change, disease pandemic, volcanoe catastrophe, war, OH MY!"

Hmmm, lets all hope that Christians don't see this as a sign for the rapture and the start of revelations and use it as a signal to bring in the apocalypse.

I must admit, it does look like the earth is getting a little pressurized and is ready to blow it's top

and Republican08, Climate change, disease pandemics and volcanoes are all natural, ecenomics and war are not however, we can do something about the last 2 but not the first 3.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
Yikes, krakatoa is showing increased activity - 175 tremors since Weds. Authorities have raised the alert status to "level three". For those of you not familiar with Krakatoa - here is a little info.

Interesting, one to watch for sure. we really don't need a repeat of 1883, but I doubt it will be big enough yet. Then again, the real limit is more on the magma chamber, which may well be large still. Without knowledge of the shape of the undersea area, it is difficult to tell. Whether or not [old] Krakatoa's caldera is a result of large explosion entirely or collapse into the chamber, will likely limit how large the chamber is, and presumably the size of an explosion. (entirely guesses, but it sounds right in my mind).

Krakatau from all information I have found, is the largest volcanic eruption in man's history on Earth.

If krakatau erupted, our weather would be affected for years on a global basis.

I think you might be confusing it with Tambora, 1815. That was the one that caused the so called year without a summer, and associated cooling. Krakatoa's 1883 eruption wasn't as large as that, and didn't have quite the same amount of destruction.

From Wikipedia:

The [Tambora 1815] explosion is estimated to have been at scale seven on the Volcanic Explosivity Index.[17] It had roughly four times the energy of the 1883 Krakatoa eruption.

And if we were to go further back, technically the most powerful eruption that humans have witnessed (not historically recorded) would be Toba's VEI 8 (larger than Yellowstone's 2.1 mya VEI 8) about 76,000 years ago.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

Yes, and Yellowstone erupted 640000 years ago, but as I said and you clarified (man's history) it is another whole subject on if man was actually on the Earth longer than what is reported. So we won't go there.

To answer the other question from Vitchilo - no I do not know a lot about volcanos - I am just very interested in them and have begun watching what is happening with them everyday.

This is one to keep a close eye on.

OH - if something does happen, and if it creates big tsunami's as it has in the past, remember this link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The above are live webcams throughout the Pacific - I had put together the thread last month.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
No matter how bad a volcano is, they are just beautiful to see in the darkness of night. Of course that is only if you are a safe distance away or seeing them in images.

All I know is the planet is in some deep doo doo right now.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

But for pictures, I've not had the opportunity to see a volcano at night. The pictures, while very beautiful, lack the essence of realism...sounds, aromas, etc.

While it may seem that the planet is in "deep doo-doo", it is really just a matter of perception. The Earth is dynamic, constantly changing. If it were not, then I think we would be bored out of our gourds.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

I LIKE Boring!! No - I LOVE Boring!!! I much PERFER Boring over non-boring Earth Shaking Events.

I like non-boring Personal Events!!

I DO NOT LIKE - Big Earth moving / Govt. B.S/ Bailout/Global meltdown etc. Events!!

I could do without all the immediately above events!! I would not be on ATS if we were not having the above events, but since we are, I am here!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I like the fact that this planet still has some life left in her yet, and it shows man is not the dominant prescence on this planet. Like it or not Krakatoa going boom is not going to herald in the downfall of society. Volcanoes are a common occurance and part of the world we live, we should not be suprised that the place is not stable, its the same as it has been for millions of years and mankind has done just fine. I do however feel for the people in the immediate area and the surrounding areas that could be affected by the fallout, i cant imagine that beeing buried under tonnes of ash is pleasant.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I understand from where your statement arises...I do not care to be in the middle of such events either.

However, a static Earth... nothing changes, think about it...change, the ONLY constant. The bird flies from limb to limb. The ant prepares its hole, one grain of dirt at a time. Flowers bloom. The tide rises and falls.

All very simple, day in and out things...dynamics. Some, like quakes and volcanoes, effect our immediate existence, but, we can only experience them, like it or not, we can not stop, nor change them. We may be able to prepare ourselves to lessen the effects of the events, or adjust, adapt, after the event. But, can not prevent them.

This is Her way of keeping us on our toes, and providing topics for conversation, and controversy. What we do, we do to ourselves...

Build a dam across the river to harness the power, recreation, whatever...
in time that dam will fail.
Build dwellings, cities, on the slopes of volcanoes...in known earthquake zones, etc., are tragedies waiting to happen, not a matter of IF, rather WHEN.
What is to blame? Just something we have to face, adapt to...the forces, dynamics, if you will, of the earth. And be cognizant of the fact that She is not going to change to suit a human population.

I thoroughly enjoy your threads, I applaud your efforts to alert US to the events. Keep up the good work.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

Thank you,

Here is another site for updates on Krakatau

news.indahnesia.com...

JAKARTA, 22 April 2008 - Indonesian authorities on Tuesday raised the alert status for the offspring of the Krakatoa volcano in the Strait of Sunda, and Mount Ibu in eastern province of North Maluku, after both showed increased activity.

Anak Krakatau, or the "Child of Krakatoa," in the Sunda Straits between Java and Sumatra, and Ibu on the Halmahera island of the North Maluku province, have began spewing ash and sending out volcanic tremors in recent days. Volcanology experts raised the alert status to level two.

No evacuation order was given, but volcanologists appealed the villagers living nearby Ibu volcano to wear face-masks to protect against ash. The directorate general of volcanology said in its website that people had been ordered to stay outside a radius of two kilometres from the volcanoes' craters.

Anak Krakatau's latest big eruption in June 1994 killed one US tourist and injured three Britons and two Indonesians. The 1,340-metre Mount Ibu volcano, about 2,700 kilometres north-east of Jakarta, had a small explosive eruption in 1911. No human casualties were reported.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/deec5735918b.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 28-4-2009 by questioningall]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join