It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: Hostages held after 'multiple' shootings Binghamton, New York

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Official: Hostages held after

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Authorities are at the scene of a building in Binghamton, New York, where there are "multiple" shooting victims and hostages are being held, a county spokesman said.

Broome County Director of Emergency Services Brett Chellis said there is an "active" shooting situation at the American Civic Association, and that several law enforcement agencies are at the scene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-4-2009 by mandroid]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is concerning given the Mumbai terrorist attacks and the possibility that htis is a sick new way for these twisted people to wreck carnage for their selfish demands.

More thoughts on this would be that it is breaking news and there are not so many details so I could make up stuff or I could wait for more news and update with facts.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
According to the website of The American Civic Association:

Assists immigrants and refugees with immigration and personal counseling, resettlement, citizenship, family reunification, interpreters, and translators. Fosters cross cultural understanding for the entire community

Their street address is:
American Civic Association, Inc.
131 Front Street, Binghamton, NY 13905-3193

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here is a link to the picture of the front of what apperas to be a smallish building:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3b27467bc10.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3201f72e7d3f.jpg[/atsimg]

The local newspaper, the Press & Sun-Bulletin, said on its Web site that at least four people were shot and 41 people had been taken hostage.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroid

This is concerning given the Mumbai terrorist attacks and the possibility that htis is a sick new way for these twisted people to wreck carnage for their selfish demands.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the terrorist band-wagon yet. There are a lot of unstable Americans out there well capable of this. Maybe it's one of those anti-immigrants.

Is it just one confirmed gunman? Someone in there needs to get brave if its just one guy.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by NateNute]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here is the map of Binghampton, NY and it's location in respect to major highways:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/45afa7823752.jpg[/atsimg]

According to CNN update:

The newspaper said the incident began around 10:30 a.m. ET. Nearby apartments were being evacuated, it said.

So it appears the incident was going on for an hour and a half or so befoer the news broke which is pretty amazing. Seems to be a lot of shootings going on after being quiet for years. Are people more anxious and feel the need to take matters into their own hands with a Democrat in the White House? Just asking..... I do not know.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NateNute

I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the terrorist band-wagon yet. There are a lot of unstable Americans out there well capable of this. Maybe it's one of those anti-immigrants.

Is it just one confirmed gunman? Someone in there needs to get brave if its just one guy.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by NateNute]

I am not jumping on any bandwagon. The ATS news submission form demands that the submitter share their thoughts which is hard when the story is breaking. It is probably just another person that snapped from domestic stress if I had to make a bet.

EDIT: The shooter has a "high powered rifle". What does that mean?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
According to WNBF Radio, at least 13 people have been killed.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroid

Sorry didnt see your thread... I like the pics but mine is better... lol I got Opinion!!!

So like I said 40 hostages 1 Tango... two rooms, basement and a storage closet... Stairwell are fatal funnels, I would look for a service elevator... get 6 shooters down.... bound and cover to the door and kill the scumbag. I dont care if he is an asian dressed like Tequila, hes going to die

Semper Fi

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Was the site down? I couldn't access it or BTS for about 30 minutes!???

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
2 men brought out in handcuffs believed to be gun men, another guy is thought to remain but word that it may be over is also rumoured,

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
12 dead, 6 injured
2 Asian males taken into custody
Still have hostages spread throughout the building (SWAT going room to room)

Check ScanAmerica.us / Broome County for live Sheriff EMS FIRE feed...still have a few calls coming in from people inside the building.

2:02pm CNN saying an unconfirmed report says the National Guard is being called in to assist.

EDIT: number count / NG comment

[edit on 4/3/2009 by thomasblackraven]

[edit on 4/3/2009 by thomasblackraven]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

EDIT: The shooter has a "high powered rifle". What does that mean?

What that probably means is an "Assault Rifle" which would be real handy right now for the government, giving impetus to the proposed ban.

Of course, anything can be classed as an assault weapon - are not all weapons designed for assault? - but this could be another nail in the coffin for those owning military spec carbines / rifles, even if they are semi-auto only.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Just to follow up on an intensely CT theory that was proposed in an earlier unrelated thread...,

Do you suppose the local politician in the area is for or against gun control?

These shootings seem to happen wherever there is a public servant who has stated he or she was against gun-control. Or in a place where gun ownership is not regarded in a negative light.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Police confirm there looking for a 3rd man,

News conference in 2hours,

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well, it is in NYC, so a good guess is that the local politicians are anti-gun. Edit: Or not. For some reason, I was thinking it was in NYC, but Binghamton is a good distance away, so politically, it could possibly play either way.

At the same time, I also think its *very* interesting that we've had a recent spike in this type of incident now that gun control is back on the table in DC. I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist, but its starting to just seem awfully damn convenient to me.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by vor78]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow I wonder what they mean by "Asian" if that is Chinese Asian or Indian Asian..... If from India or Pakistan maybe it is some Mumbai type attack...will be following the story.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
-Press conference @ 4:30 (City Hall)
-All schools are remaining in lockdown

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There are reports that a gun man is dead, that he shot himself at the scene

2 hand guns have been recovered from the scene,

Rumour: 2 that where arrested may have just been men who fitted the description,

The situation from possible police source is that it is over, and that they are going room to room to search, Not fully confirmed yet though,

[edit on 3-4-2009 by asala]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jb0311NY
reply to post by mandroid

So like I said 40 hostages 1 Tango... two rooms, basement and a storage closet... Stairwell are fatal funnels, I would look for a service elevator... get 6 shooters down.... bound and cover to the door and kill the scumbag. I dont care if he is an asian dressed like Tequila, hes going to die

Semper Fi

Hey jb0311NY, you still active duty?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join