It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachmann bill would ban global currency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Bachmann bill would ban global currency

briefingroom.thehill.com

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has introduced legislation that would "bar the dollar from being replace by any foreign currency." A statement from Bachmann's website:

“Yesterday, during a Financial Services Committee hearing, I asked Secretary Geithner if he would denounce efforts to move towards a global currency and he answered unequivocally that he would," said Bachmann. "And President Obama gave the nation the same assurances.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thomas.gov

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Here's the last sentence from the article [I could quote everything but the last sentence!]:

But in remarks to the Council on Foreign Relations yesterday, Geithner indicated he was open to the idea.

--------------------

This could be a step in the right direction, although I think a Constitutional amendment is a little much, simple legislation might suffice. I don't know how it would work though if the rest of the world decides that they want a new currency, that I'll here by dub, the "eartho".

Here is the blurb about the bill on thomas.gov:

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to prohibit the President from entering into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States.

According to THOMAS, this bill is only in the House Judiciary committee. I don't know where one can find out who is on that committee [THOMAS perhaps, I'll have to look], but we should find out and let those congressmen/women know to support this bill to give it a full vote in Congress.

briefingroom.thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/26/2009 by octotom]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here is the link for the House Judiciary Committee.

Judiciary Committee, US House

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to prohibit the President from entering into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States.

So all this does, is assure that the world currency will be issued in the U.S?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carlthulhu

Somehow you managed to get it exactly wrong. The bill would PROHIBIT that.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Carlthulhu

No. The amendment, if it were to pass, would make it illegal for the United States to use any other currency other then the US dollar. So, for example, if the euro and pound were also brought up to world currency status [like the dollar currently has], it would be illegal for the US government to buy oil, for instance, with euros or pounds.

But, with what the world is trying to do, create a completely new single currency to replace the dollar, it would essentially become illegal for the US to do any trade--if this amendment were to go in effect.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carlthulhu

Based on the quote provided I think you are right. It doesn't even mention the dollar. It says that for ANY currency to become legal tender in the US it has to be issued by the US.

I'm wondering what this means for individual states that want to issue a memorial coin and make that legal tender in that state. Would that become illegal as well?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Also.... it doesn't say the currency has to be issued ONLY by the United States. So doesn't it still leave room for a world currency issued by the United States AND the EU AND China?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Representative Bachmann is trying to prevent a new world currency from being introduced in the United States. Here's the first paragraph in the article:

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has introduced legislation that would "bar the dollar from being replace by any foreign currency." A statement from Bachmann's website
Emphasis mine.

As far as the United States issuing it's own currency, it would still do that--unless the new "world currency" was to be used in everyday trade. Right now, the dollar is essentially the world currency. Nations have to use it to buy oil, trade, and things of the like. What Rep. Bachmann is trying to do is prevent the US from using another currency.

I'm assuming that you're talking about US States issuing coins? Constitutionally, they're not allowed to do that. The minting of money is one of the priviledges that a state gives up in order to join the United States. The founding fathers did that so that there wouldn't be 13 [now 50] different monies floating around.

If by state you mean country, as mentioned before, it would depend on the function of the world currency. If it's just for trading purposes, then, yes a nation could print money and it be legal. If it's an all purpose currency, that I would suppose that it would be illegal because TPTB wouldn't want the new money to have a competitor.

[edit on 3/27/2009 by octotom]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Also.... it doesn't say the currency has to be issued ONLY by the United States. So doesn't it still leave room for a world currency issued by the United States AND the EU AND China?

Yes. As long as it is printed in the US, it will be legal tender. If a world currency is printed in the US for the US population, it will be legal.

Or if we enter a north american union, the amero could be printed in the US and would still be legal.

Or if the world currency doesn't really exist in terms of paper but exists in terms of a central bank that decides which currency is worth what, than this doesn't apply and we're still under world currency.

What about putting an amendment saying this:

The executive shall make no treaties with international bodies or other nations without being approved by the federal legislative body and be approved by 2/3 of the states first.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I'm assuming that you're talking about US States issuing coins? Constitutionally, they're not allowed to do that. The minting of money is one of the priviledges that a state gives up in order to join the United States. The founding fathers did that so that there wouldn't be 13 [now 50] different monies floating around.
I was thinking of things like the Texas State Quarters. But I looked it up and those are issued by the US. So that would still be allowed.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

reply to post by Carlthulhu

So, for example, if the euro and pound were also brought up to world currency status [like the dollar currently has],

Which is always the thing that makes me laugh about Americans railing against a global currency. The reality of it is that they're not really that bothered if it's the American dollar that's a/the world currency.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
ahhhh #.

This is exactly what the DO in washington people.

They introduce a Bill that they know damn well will fail.

They then turn around and vote FOR another bill which is exactly the opposite of the first bill that failed.

This is done so that they can say "See we TRIED!" while knowing full well that their agenda will still proceed.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Which is always the thing that makes me laugh about Americans railing against a global currency. The reality of it is that they're not really that bothered if it's the American dollar that's a/the world currency.

Do you really think most Americans know that the dollar is the world's currency right now? They don't. They don't know anything.

Everything is falling apart all around them and they still don't know anything.

They don't realize that our currency is about to be inflated beyond belief.

They don't know the real hurt that is coming because so many are still playing the political game without looking at the real problems.

All countries should have their own currency. Giving complete power to anyone..including the US...is wrong.

I'm just tired of all this stuff. People need to wake the hell up before it's too late.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This sounds good but Ill be honest with you anything coming from Michelle Bachman immediately makes me skeptical. She is a big time world imperialist who loves the idea of policing the world so why would having a world currency upset her so much. Something smells here so Im gonna stay cautiously optimistic on this one.....

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If they could just change the wording to mandate that any legal tender currency must be produced by the Constitutionally authorized federal government we might have some hope.

Right now the monopoly money the Fed's pumping out is as toxic to our future as the derivatives they used to launder them.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Do you really think most Americans know that the dollar is the world's currency right now? They don't. They don't know anything.

You're probably right, if you're talking about Americans in general - non-ATS Americans.

However, I was talking about Americans on ATS. The hundreds that contribute to NWO order threads about how freedom is threatened and so on. As I said before, as long it's the dollar that's a/the global currency and as long as it's America that gets to call the shots across the world, the majority of Americans (on here) appear not to really give a crap. It's only when America's self-imposed placed as 'Boss of the World' isn't quite as secure as it was in the recent past that so much of any of this is an issue at all.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I predict that if a world currency ever is adopted, it'll be just like the metric system - used everywhere in the world except the USA and a small handful of backwater dictatorships.

And just like the metric system - you'll have to use it whenever you step outside your borders.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

I like the idea but it's not exactly the same. Just as American scientists have to use the metric system, the financial system would have to use a global currency. If the rest of the world starts using a global currency, America would either have to use it or it will put them at a disadvantage. I personally think it's inevitable and this bill is meaningless.

top topics

join