It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

check this robot out

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
the links show other robots, but they're not that big or smooth moving

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
doesn't look cgi to me. if it is it's the best cgi i've ever seen. the dexterity arm test looks very real, just like the ones car manufacturing robots use.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
you know in Japan, they have robots more advanced than that. I saw on the news where a robot walked onto stage and played a trumpet
Here's some stuff: www.japantimes.co.jp... www.10e20webdesign.com... _humanoid.htm us.news2.yimg.com...

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by The_Truth]

dz

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
this is definately cgi.

like i said, it was posted on www.cgtalk.com... a while ago.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Truth
you know in Japan, they have robots more advanced than that. I saw on the news where a robot walked onto stage and played a trumpet
Here's some stuff: www.japantimes.co.jp... www.10e20webdesign.com... _humanoid.htm us.news2.yimg.com...

That robot is nothing compared to these.

pc.watch.impress.co.jp...

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Now that was amazing!

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Quit just saying "definately cgi" like a moron. Where is the proof that it is real or fake?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
At another forum, the guy that "made the robot" said it was a true project and does exstist. Curious people like ourselves e-mailed him, and that what he said

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
LOL!!! if u think that this is real, ur very very very gullible. it was done using computer. also, there are no robots that can mimic human movement perfectly since there are no computers fast and small enough to do the job.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
LOL!!! if u think that this is real, ur very very very gullible. it was done using computer. also, there are no robots that can mimic human movement perfectly since there are no computers fast and small enough to do the job.

Oh the irony here...
No doubt this is 3d cg but the debunking by SilQ who saw a video of North Korean children and thought they were highly advanced commie robots is pretty funny.
North Korean Robots as posted by SilQ.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Tai Chi robot

Now they are teaching the robots Tai Chi... what's next, a lil kung fu? Man they are begging for human-extinction-by-creation.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It is very possible that the robot is real. I read almost two years ago about this guy in England cutting up a mini cooper and making a robot out of it. He was a top mechanical engineer for the XXXXXXXX Company. And just has a passion for the mini cooper. From what I recall he designed advanced mechanical actuation systems. Like to the order of supersonic adjustable wings and other aerospace projects. He said he wanted to build the robot using more basic mechanical systems then the complex electro mechanical systems used in the robotics from Japan. There is a ton of existing robotic systems that mimic human dexterity ie the Auto line welding robots use precise motion control spot welding to put together the cars you drive. As well as about 100 other labor intensive jobs. A robot welder can out perform a human welder on the order of over 200 to one when factored over an exteneded time ie a 8 hour shift.

But I am still skeptic about th overall capability of the last movie file showing the robot stop the SUV. The stance and counter balance looks to human and the fact that the robot "slides" on the floor about 6 feet back, makes me think it was "scaled" in CGI to perform this little trick.

But I know the hand dexterity test is for real, he activates a computer program to run and the arm just "runs" through the program. It is very easy to accomplish using 'pots' that register the deflection from the start point, the program learns the point that you want action to take place and stores that as a vaule. You essentially lead the arm by the hand and stop at each point that you want the arm to stop, extend etc, until the whole "action squence" is stored. Then simply tell the computer to "replay" the sequece and it will use the stored values of each sensor/ pot to accomplish the task. Very simple.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
bump, so what's the final verdict? it would be revolutionizing if true...

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Looks pretty fake to me, but who ever did it did one hell of a job

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i dont think it is a fake, many people thought the f117 was a fake until it was revealed and still folk didnt believe it
so dont count it out yet

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hoax. The url is registered to an ad agency working for BMW.

www.museumofhoaxes.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
If you look at the lighting in the movie clip where the robot stops the jeep, you'll see its CG, with a dumbass error in it.

The shadow of the jeep is at the North East of the jeep, so is the shadow of the person stepping out of it, the robots shadow on the other hand is oriented South West, the oposite direction.

Then in the clip where the robot is made turning in the dark, you see a hard shadow on the whiteboard behind it, but when the engineer steps in front of the machine to turn it on, his shadow is not projected on the screen, although, the lightsource thats supposedly projecting the bot is oriented at ground level, superimposing the bots shadow to the white screen. You should see the person shadow at same heavy intensity on the white board and its not.

There are other shadowing anomalies in the various clips that show the bot, making it clearly CG.

In another thread it was said that shadowing at that level wasn't posible in CG, then that person needs to do his research.

Perfectly real looking shadow is more then posible with cards supporting Pixel Shader 2.0 and higher, that makes that GFFX5950, R9700/9800 and now the new GF6 6xxx series could actualy render that bot in REALTIME at an even higher detail.

Robot renders are rather light for graphics cards, because they are blocky, bulky, non-complex and usualy use only a few colors.

Realtime rendering of humans is even posible with the current and next gen graphics cards, up to a level that the GF6 6xxx series can render a persons hair, with lighting per hairstrand AND calculating in the lighting scheme how much light every strand of hair should have in respect to the density and compactness of the hair.

Like near the root of anyones hair, the hair always looks darker, because its packed together more tightly there and the further you go to the tips of the hair, the lighter it gets.

Thats how natural blondes with alot of hair seem to have dark brown to almost black hair roots. While the tips of their hair is almost bright white.

That and that the webspace is rented by and payed for by BMW's ad agency(as researched by Slashdot and other sites), makes up for a pritty great hoax, but a hoax non the less.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
In the event anyone missed this...

Originally posted by Kano [size=10]Hoax. The url is registered to an ad agency working for BMW. www.museumofhoaxes.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In the event anyone missed this...

Originally posted by Kano
Hoax. The url is registered to an ad agency working for BMW.www.museumofhoaxes.com...

I saw that, I was just trying to show how it can be seen that its actualy CG. In another thread about his robot, it was said that current CG and 3D Rendering isn't capable of doing something like that. While current PS2.0 and 3.0 technology with the current commercialy available game 3D Accelerators can even render that clip, in realtime.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooking

That robot is nothing compared to these.

pc.watch.impress.co.jp...

Now theses are very cool. They dance to programs, If they could do it with out a program, with there AI. Then we as humans are in trouble.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join