It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy: Are we witnessing a planned collapse of the free press of America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hi, guys-

Ok, I was posting in another thread when I thought of this. We've all been hearing about how all the newspapers around America are suddenly collapsing due to the "financial crisis" right now.

Here's my conspiracy theory: I think we are witnessing a planned collapse of the "free press" (i.e. the US newspapers). I think it's a planned conspiracy. Or is it just a coincidence that just all the newspapers in America seem to be failing just when we need the newspapers the most right now, in the face of widespread corruption of our government?

Of course, I am just as guilty as the next person in not supporting my local newspaper, but there was a reason I stopped buying newspapers: because newspapers in recent years, have all been bought up by corporations in recent decades. And the mainstream news recently became more profit-driven (i.e. mere gossip), and real issues went by the wayside, because of either political bias of the newspaper or due to the the dumbing down of America.

So, because the news turned to more "gossip" than news, those of us who seriuosly used to enjoy reading the newspapers in the past, all stopped buying it. (I know I did!)

And that's what they were counting on. Because when we stopped buying newspapers, we stopped supporting more than the newspaper itself. We stopped supporting the whole concept behind the newspapers, which is that the "press" in America had certain freedoms associated with it.

If you are a member of the press, you have protection of the press behind you. So, when you start asking questions that annoy those in power, you can't get thrown into jail, because you had your "press credentials."

Now, all the newspapers are closing down. Why? Because the press stopped asking important questions, and started reporting drivel. And so demand is down, and with less demand and less profit, that gives the corporations the perfect excuse to close down non-profitable parts of their businesses!

But this is terrible. There are certain things in life that should remain open, regardless of profit. One is hospitals, and the other is the free press. Why? Becasue we need them

And further more: there was a super-moderator who started the conspiracy last week: A conspiracy against ATS. It was posted by nefermore, and here it is:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Great thread he/she started, because it points out that there definitely seems to be a conspiracy against ATS. In my mind, to me, this is supporting evidence for my theory, too.

Think about it: first, "they" collapse the economy. Then, they collapse the "free press" so nobody can figure out what is happening. So, all the smart people who think (ATS members) start going to underground news sites (such as this one), but THEN, these anonymous people start making outrageous posts that force ATS change their policies regarding contentious subjects.

Thus, "they" win. They not only were able to collapse the free press, but now they are working (and succeeding) on collapsing the "underground press" websites, such as ATS.

both just as much. We need a hospital to go in case we get hit by a mac truck, and we need a newspaper to go in case our government becomes corrupt.

So, what do you guys think?

Is it true that the newspapers are collapsing due to "the economy" as we are being led to believe, or is it more? Or are we witnesssing it a planned collapse of the free press of America? And if there is a conspiracy to collapse the free press of America, is it it part of the whole planned "collapse of the economy/currency/nation" conspiracy?

Think about it: many people say that the economy crisis was a planned collapse. Wouldn't it make sense, if this were true, that they would also want to collapse our free press at the same time?

-------------------------------------------------------
Side note to ATS owners/regulators/editors:

I'm telling you, you guys have to be strong. Now that you know what these posters are trying to do (collapse the underground news, now, as well as the "above ground" press) you have to stand tough.

People like that are abusers: they push you and push you until you are forced to do something that you don't want to do, but you feel you have no other choice. Now that they have gotten away with getting you to curtail free speech on certain issues, I'm sure they'll start wearing you guys down on other issues! The more policies you change restricting free speech (such as drug legalization, etc...) the more you restrict free discussion, until soon, this site will resemble a tabloid newspaper.

I was on another site talking about the violence on the border betewen the southwestern US states and the Mexican drug cartels. Well, you can't discuss that subject without bringing up the drug trade, which then naturally leads to "verboten" subjects that are now not allowed as subject of discussion on ATS!

So now, free speech has now been curtailed here on ATS. We're all afraid to mention certain subjects, because htey are now "not allowed" and....viola....the collapse of the underground press is going to follow suit, close behind the collapse of the free press.

So, becasue of this, I am urging ATS to re-think their policies of now allowing certain subjects discussed. The more you react....and make new rules and policies...the more you will play into these people's hands, whoever they are.

Because already, I'm thinking: well, ATS is no longer a "free speech" zone. Great! Now what? I'm thinking of starting my own "underground news site' and i"m sure others here on ATS are also. So, what does that do? It only dilutes the reader-ship, and soon, people begin leaving places like ATS, but no place other than ATS will ever be as strong as ATS, because it was one of the first "underground sites" for underground news.

ATS was started because of the drivel that was being reported on the mainstream media. Now, "they" are succeeding in getting certain subjects removed from ATS content: 9/11 content, drug legalization, etc....

This is not good. I think the moderator was right when he said that there is a conspiracy against ATS...but I think it's part of the bigger conspiracy of collapsing all the free press in America, and around the world.

-----

[edit on 2-3-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I thought the beginning of your post was brilliant, but then you got on the bandwagon about ATS curtailing certain topics. As you mentioned, there is a thread about that already.

I have some speculation about why some newspapers are failing.

I personally know some people who were columnists of high quality. When their contracts came up for renewal they were replaced by people just out of college. Much cheaper to pay a kid than an adult who has earned a reputation.

So, yes, newspaper quality has dropped severly, by those corporations cutting corners!

Newspapers also earn a lot of income on their classifieds. If people are not reading the paper any longer, they will not be putting any classified ads in them either. Make any sense?

The revenue is not earned by subscriptions, alone.

Sunday papers used to be enourmous, stuffed with all kinds of ads from businesses trying to attract attention from readers. I have noticed a large difference in say ads from Sears, and other large businesses, being stuffed into the Suday paper. Once again, since nobody is reading, there you go!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hi, nikiano.

I am not an expert on the subject,

If what you call the "free press" is the MSM [main stream media?]
do you really think the press is **free** ??

Let's make a suppostion! :
Suppose that NBC or a newspaper belongs to GE [General electric]. OK ?

Now **suppose** GE is doing dirty things in a poor country.
Do you REALLLY think that NBC or the newspaper will do a
coverage against GE ? B-)

It would be fun to check: to whom all the major "free presses" belong to!

EDIT the Hi, =name=.

Blue skies.

[edit on 2009/3/2 by C-JEAN]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Free Press?? What's that??

We are grateful to The Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during those years. But, the work is now much more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.

David Rockefeller - 1991 Trilateral Commission meeting

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i work for a newspaper and i will say the main reason they are in trouble currently is b/c less businesses are advertising b/c of financial reasons. it's a domino effect.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think you're missing my point. One of the points I'm trying to make is that first, "they" change the "free press," water it down, so it is no longer thought to be as needed as it once was....then they collapse it, without much public outcry, because by that point, we think that we aren't going to miss much.

But what we are going to miss the most is not the stupid drivel that was being reported in the newspapers lately, but the the PROTECTION afforded to the press by society.

Think about it: What happens when the press stops doing their own huge investigative journalism stories, like Woodward and Bernstein did? Those citizens who are still thinking, start doing their investigative journalism. What happens when those individual citizens start poking around too much? They get harrassed, jailed, persecuted, poisoned (think of that guy who reported about what the CIA was doing, and how he was almost killed.)

Even if we have a million indepdendent people out there doing their best to be investigative journalists, they do NOT have the same protection afforded to them the same way that "real" journalists do.

So, when we lose the press, we lose MORE than the newspapers. We lose the protection of the press. We lose the ability to investigate into issues deeply, without being harrassed or jailed by the government.

So, when i say "free press" that refers to the FREEdom of the press to investigate and question our government on their actions. They haven't exercised that freedom in a long, long time, because the editors of the paper (the journalist's bosses) have made it clear that they will only report on "accepted" subjects.

The editors rule the papers; A journalist can write all he wants about certain subjects, but if the editor doesn't say "ok, we'll print it" the article won't appear. I know this because I was going to be a journalist but changed my mind when CNN came onto the scene, and it became apparent that the ethics of journalism was going down the drain.

So, if a journalist goes to an editor and says: "Hey, we lost trillions of dollars of TARP money, I want to find out where it went" or if he says "Hey, there's violence on the southern border of the US, I want to see who is behind it...." but the editor says: Nope, sorry but I'm not going to allow you to investigate that...the journalist does NOT have the protection of the paper behind him.

So, it goes in two phases: First you get the editors to not allow certain subjects to be written about. When that happens, people stop buying newspapers, because nothing of any importance is being reported.

Second phase: then they collapse the papers due to a "rough economy." Because the papers didn't do their job very well lately, there was no public outcry when the papers are closed. So, instead of the public saying: "Stop! You can't close the newspapers! If you close the newspapers, who is going to question the government?" They instead said: "Oh well, too sad about those people losing their jobs, but I never read the paper anymore, anyway."

This means that they (the papers) just put the nails into their own coffins....they were destroyed from within. They did it to themselves. And I think THAT was the plan.

The editors of the major newspapers were in on it....they must have been. They allowed their content to be dictated to them, and when the content of the papers ceased to be relevant anymore, they were closed, and because they had ignored the welfare of the public for so long, there is no public outcry. They could have figured out a way to turn the papers into a higher-tech version of them, but they didn't. Instead, they let themselves go the way of the dinosaurs.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
yes free press is being eliminated, for we are entering a dangerous age when technology is discovering secrets that shouldnt be here,they are afraid of their presence being revealed,being spread in the free mediums of communcation.

ATS is not free,the conspiracy world exists to discredit the truth and to discredit witnesses.
to smear the truth similiar sounding theories are hatched which sound crazy so no one actually believes the real version.

water flouridation is an example,in the 50's it was said by the right that water flouridation is a plot by communists to control us all,it intentionaly sounds crazy to make all other theories about water flouridation sound unreliable and unrealistic when infact its true,the chemicals used in water flouridation are poisons which cause many ilnesses,
take a look at one
hexaflourosilicic acid..
msds.chem.ox.ac.uk...

its a poison...all water flouridation compounds are,and theyve been strongly linked with many ilnesses,
for example,the brains of alzhiemers patients show heavy concentrations of aluminium and silica,another water flouridator is aluminoflourosilicate acid.....aluminium and silica in abundance there......which accumilate in the brain and cause neurodegeneration.

are you getting it?,where ever theres a truth to be found the conspiracy world discredits it by coming up with all kinds of similiar but crazy sounding theories which cause no one to believe the truth.

the conspiracy world aslo denormalizes truths,they make truths intentionaly sound ridiculous to the mainstream.

what was the one i heard on TINwiki?,that roosevelt built a time machine and sent time travelling assasins through time to kill presidential rivals cos he wanted to be the best president ever.
sounds crazy doesnt it?,thats the whole point cos there is a great truth similiar...
jfk was killed by the future,futureAI.

get it?,the conspiracy world is not free press it is the opposite,thouigh the truth sometimes comes out inbetween.

look into my avatar
boing boing

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by azurite
i work for a newspaper and i will say the main reason they are in trouble currently is b/c less businesses are advertising b/c of financial reasons. it's a domino effect.

Not just lost advertising which is most of the content in all newspapers (should be called advertising supplements) anyways. My father was a journeyman pressman and that means union. I believe that any union based business will be going under and/or struggling more than others because they can't afford to keep the high wages in place with the collapsing economy.

As a side note, TV broadcasting is getting as bad as newspapers in that, their broadcasts (CNN, HLN, FOXNews, CNBC, MSNBC) have seemed to have even more commercials these days than ever before... AND they time them so that you can't channel surf and hit programming... only more commercials. ANOTHER conspiracy. If I wanted ActivON snake oil I would have bought it already!

Thank God for DVR's and 30 seconds skip forward.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Yeah those FDA and DEA idiots have thrown a wrench in the machinations of free speech, not to mention trolls from the DNC and RNC.

We are all bearing witness to the beginning of the end on free speech on all but the bravest sites.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

I know you're right about the fluoride in the water. I'm a pharmacist, and in pharmacy school, we had this professor who talked about it all the time. Nobody liked him because his tests were hard as hell, but he was right as rain about the fluoride in the water.

I'll check out your avatar.

And Star in a Jar-

yep you're right about the FDA restricting speech. Big Pharma now controls the FDA, and they have such a hold on the way "medicine" is practiced these days (it's so corrupt!), that it's very hard to get out any information about other safer and more natural forms of medicine.

But it's getting better. At least here in my state, we have laws making it legal for people to practice natural medicine legally. I practice homeopathy and hypnotherapy and I know at least 5 or 6 other pharmacists and physicians who also practice other safer and natural forms of medicine. Although I know there aren't many states like that. But the people of Arizona demanded it...

So, if we can demand freedom of healthcare, when it starts to get corrupt.... we can demand freedom of the press, too, when it starts to go by the wayside. We just have to band together, instead of hiding behind our computers.....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I've worked in the news industry for a decade so let me give you an insider's perspective. The industry is going down the drain largely because of the poor quality of people who work in it. No "conspiracy" would be needed to put it out of commission, the worker bees themselves have burned the hive beyond recognition and what we have left is driving most of us who actually care about the profession out of it for good.

Over the past 30 years reportage has gone from reliable and accurate to self-promoting and nonfactual. As often as not, papers plagiarize stories or simply fake them. My primary job for the last six years at my previous employer? Falsifying correspondent stories. That paper, which was a daily, did not practice fact verification and refused whenever possible to run retractions which disclosed reporter errors. To the point of harassing and threatening members of the public who made complaints. Trust me, if a regional paper is doing that so are the major metro papers. You don't even want to discuss how news networks operate, they are worse.

The Internet has done nothing but feed into the egotism of the average reporter, who generally is poorly educated, unskilled, and more often than not, dealing with profound psychological or substance abuse issues. There's a damn good reason why the old boy network of three-drink lunches was stopped and it's call "alcoholism." Point blank, many of the reporters I worked with were so messed up that the whole office basically stayed in a constant flux of mood swings and irrational behavior, to the point that some days many of them couldn't speak in complete sentences or distinguish statements of fact from questions. If that is going on in private it definitely shows in the quality of reporting. Add to that the fact that the public no longer feels obligated to purchase ineffective and overpriced ads from companies that treat them like s--t and you see why the industry tanked. Trust me, it's not coming back the way it did during the last slump, it's over for a lot of big papers and many of the smaller ones as well since the average reporter won't work for a smalltown paper since that means dropping the egoes (that most can't admit were never destined for the New York Times any way), plus actually having to deal with real "little people" without the comfort zone of a fax machine and a telephone. Ten years ago reporters did NOT make themselves the center issue of their stories on a regular basis, nowadays personal opinions seem to take precedence over facts.

The poster who pointed out that skilled columnists are being replaced by cheap labor is dead on. I always retched at listening to older reporters blather on about "their slants" and "their views" of issues, which were rarely correct or even based in reality, but I developed high blood pressure from listening to younger people talk about "their hits on Youtube" and "their blogs." The whole point of factual reporting got lost in the shuffle when the industry decided that catfighting and gossip can be fobbed off as news. Ever listen to Perez Hilton? That's where the industry is headed and it is what will kill it. The UK media has been that way for a very long time but America has a different mindset.

I spent the last year working with several of these children and trust me, if they can't plagiarize Wikipedia or a gossip page, it's not news. The sad part is, even if there was a conspiracy to allow TPTB to control the newsmedia more than they already do, a lot of the younger reporters aren't even intelligent enough to correctly fake a story and make it sound believable.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Is this where you are headed, because it's obvious to me.

The watered down journalism was a plan because people don't really care anymore with all the personal crappola they have to deal with? Who wants to pick up a paper of junk, to read about crap?

I don't consider failing newspapers a great loss anyway. Too corporate, as you mentioned.

People who want to read the news, and who care will see to it that independant papers spring up, in one way or another. They may be crude, but the facts always have a way to finding a route to the mainstream.

You wanted to be a journalist, there you go. Be a martyre to get the news out to us!

Also a failed collapse planned, I am leary of this. One of the people I know who used to be a journalist, started his own publication, and ran into problems, likewise, with subscriptions. Due to his questioning his readers, it was determined they would prefer to read the publication online. He gets more money for the news he supplies this way, so it worked out for the better.

I only see paper and ink failing. There are news sources online, of quality that you have to subscribe to.

If you are concerned about protection of what you write, use a fake name!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hi again.

And some MSM or newspaper will say: " It's the internet ". . .

! ! It's not the 'net ! !

! ! ! It's because you don't tell the truth ! ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman

Over the past 30 years reportage has gone from reliable and accurate to self-promoting and nonfactual. As often as not, papers plagiarize stories or simply fake them.

Thanks for the post: I believe much of what you say. Especially about the plaigarism part. One of other reasons I did not go into journalism is because when I was writing for my high school newspaper, I had articles pubished every month. One month, I wrote a very good article that was nominated for an award. Guess what happened to that article? It was plaigarized by a small Nebraska journalist, who put HIS byline on MY article.

After that incident, and after seeing the way mainstream journalism was headed when CNN started getting big, I decided I wanted no part of it.

I also hear you about the mood swings/substance abuse. Alot of writers, like myself are bipolar. Don't know why bipolar and writing go so hand in hand, but it does. And if our bipolar isn't caught and treated, it can wreak havoc on our lives, and yes, lead to delusions. It happened to me before I was finally cured with hypnosis and homeopathy.

(Ok, now I expect a plant from the FDA to get on here and say that you can't cure bipolar disorder, you can only manage it with medicines! I can hardly wait for that argument to start.)

Anyway, I digress.

Thanks for the insight. I never stopped to think that the journalists were also a part of putting the nail into their own coffin, but now I can also see how that could be true.

But the editors are supposed to be strong enough to manage the journalists, and they are supposed to be strong enough to stand up for what is right, and insist on a free press. So, I still place a lot of the blame on the editors for "being in bed" with the wrong people. And maybe some of the blame goes to the journalists who didn't stand up against their editors. It's the job of everyone on the paper to make sure that the papers serve the needs of society....and they screwed it up.

As for people thinking I'm "up to something" I'm not. I'm just merely pointing out what (to me) seems obvious: a planned attack and collapse of the free press. And my guess.....it will then followed shortly by the removal of the freedoms of the press.

Then again, if you don't use the freedom, you lose it. The press is not using their freedom to ask questions these days that need to be asked. If they continue to not use these freedoms, they ARE going to lose them.

I think my new mantra is going to be:

Freedom: Use it or lose it.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano

But the editors are supposed to be strong enough to manage the journalists, and they are supposed to be strong enough to stand up for what is right, and insist on a free press.

However, I still place a lot of the blame on the editors for "being in bed" with the wrong people. It's their job to make sure that the papers serve the needs of society....and they screwed it up.

No offense, but it's probably a good thing you did not get a job in journalism. Do you have any idea how newspaper editors get their jobs? It used to be they were journalists who earned the job of editor after having had the experience and hard knocks of being a seasoned journalist. Not so these days. I think you missed the point that seasoned journalists are loosing their jobs . The person editing papers now, might just be out of college, with no experience at all. You first hand learned, with the article you wrote, what type of quality there is out there.

As for people thinking I'm "up to something" I'm not..
I'm just merely pointing out what (to me) seems obvious: a planned attack and collapse of the free press....and my guess.....then followed shortly by the removal of the freedoms of the press.

Hey, newspapers, a lot of them are pure crap nowadays. As I said before, bye- bye, let them be replaced some other way.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Don't forget that free speech was an important issue during times of Cold War.
Now it is not needed anymore.

There is a global offensive on numbing down people. The education by all means does the job just fine. It is reflected in the quality of journalism, plus the fact that free speech is totally out of question from the owners' point of view.

Entertainment production is on the same tracks. You have to use microscope to find some real artistic value in movies production, or TV production.

The cheaper - the better!

It is not simply a conspiracy. It is the New Faith.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You think they are just starting to fail recently ?

I guess ignorance is bliss, welcome to the waking world.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Interesting thread and much better so far than the thread on

"A Conspiracy against ATS."

That thread deteriorated very rapidly. Some 30 pages mostly of nothing but confusion. I think some of it deleberate.

As to a free press. I will tell you this experience though somewhat individual and therefore limited in scope.

Some 25 years ago I got my first short wave set at a yard sale and upon bringing it home put up a copper wire from my radio room to a tree out in my yard some 50 feet long.

This was the begining of hours of good listening to what was happening in the world from stations which would occasionally broadcast in English. As I listened I began to put together a mosiac of what it was to which I was listening and then contrast it with what I learned here from the US Media including the local newspaper. In the long run what I learned was how heavy a paper curtain there actually was on news and informations here in the land of the free and home of the brave. Our access to news and informations was quite limited. All this was some 25 years ago. I dont think much has changed with the exception of the home computer and internet.

Those of us who are able and sufficiently skilled can access alot of news and informations right here on the web.
For myself I occasionally like to read the India Times or a newspaper out of Australia to get a cross section of something different from what we get fed to us here Stateside. This is a great thing about the internet.

However ..I am under no illusion that this or these media outlets cannot be controlled as well.

Now today I have gone to the trouble to acquire my amateur radio license and still have a long wire antenna outisde with the difference being that I can transmit on it as well and not just receive.

I agree with the OP in that our news and informations are manipulated. I also agree with someones statement that our newspapers are become tabloid like..just like the European/British newspapers. It is a severe let down.
I got so sick of it when the Michael Vick story broke the news. I greatly dislike the tack of trial by news media which is become so popular today.
I had been thinking about that fingerprint of condemnation concerning the very media for years before the Vick story..but got really fed up when that story broke out and trial by press in the Duke University Lacross rape story.

What I am saying is that I dont like the newspaper/news media format where they try to stroke my emotions to put me on the string emotionally rather than just report the news and informations. I consider this tabloid or yellow journalism. "Almost all the media are doing it now days.....particularly in television format but radio too.

Newspapers to me are failing because people would rather become watchers and listeners than readers and or thinkers. There is and has been a switch going on. Also many of us are become people living in the high speed fast food lane. Newspapers are at variance with this lifestlye.
Laptops and now cell phones which have such instant access are heavily proliferating.

What is happening to the newspapers is the same which is happening to first class mail.

I do agree with the posters in that the multinationals have bought up many of the newspaperss in the country. Papers which had a local flavor now have a national or international flavor. I think this too is contributing to thier demise. Agree also with the lack of quality in thier papers. Hence also a lack of readers and a lack of advertisers..it snowballs.

My thanks to the posters who have or are working in the buisness and their tales of how things are done and have been done. I found this very interesting informations to round out my understanding.

One of the reasons I like ATS is that you can get certain informations and news a couple of days before it even hits the local media around here.I have noticed this several times.

My two cents worth.

Thanks to all for thier posts.
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I have also noticed how brainwashing or conditioning is heavily implemented in newspaper articles.

When you read a reportage about some unusual event (like a murder, accident, economical crisis) it is mandatory that in this article is implemented an emotional rating (at least one sentence). Mandatory question is: How do you feel about this? Or, the villain "showed no emotion", or deep concern. Showing emotion kind of puts an "end" to the case.

Emotional response in people is of critical importance. It is exactly "reaction" that is the main concern of the owners of the newspaper (not just printed media, of course). And if the reaction is "emotion", then it is all over. Mission accomplished!

Because all the excess energy is dumped in that emotion and no further action is taken from that point on. Man is consumed by his own emotions.

A genuine "rage", reaction to injustice for instance, is thus easily turned into a series of complaints which indicate social impotence (self pity, feeling helpless, hopelessly expecting someone to do something, etc.). Real socially corrective action is translated into passive reflection.

And as the whole train is being derailed and millions of victims are anticipated, those very victims keep staring frozen from their own emotional shock unable to do absolutely anything to stop that train and prevent the catastrophe.

This habit of heavily indulging in emotions is the deadliest weapon of the PTB.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Hahahah, oh wow. A curtailing of the free press? Have you noticed what you're connected to? This is THE INTERNET. Sure it ain't exactly the most factually accurate source of news at times, but if you want to see every story from every side, it's a far better resource than the newspapers. Any given newspaper is biased. Any given website is also biased, but it's much easier to shop around. On the internet, anyone can say whatever they want, about whatever they want, and post just about anything short of child pornography. You'll never find a freer press in the history of mankind.

Or a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, but that's besides the point.

Think about it: On the internet, it's jolly good to accuse US senators of running secret satanic child prostitution rings. Do that in a newspaper, and you'll probably be hounded, sued, and then fined or jailed. And the punishment would probably be worse 20, 50, 100 years ago, too.

Newspapers have been dying since televised news came about. The internet is the final nail in the coffin, now that everybody can get the latest news on their phone or laptop, up to the minute, anywhere, anytime. News corporations have adapted.

I suspect that regional/local papers will persist in popularity for another decade or so, but they're kind of different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join