It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 471
<< 468  469  470    472  473  474 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Dang...

Beat me to it spinkyboo

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Just a couple of days ago, there were 23 on the map. Now it's 78. None of them have been shown on the weather channel.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
That's because they're all very small (in fact so small that they can only be instrumentally detected).
Even the last 2.5 one is small (it's at the lowest threshold of human sensibility), even though "big" if compared to last ones.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
'Rosetta Stone' Of Supervolcanoes Discovered In Italian Alps

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What's going on at Yellowstone? It would appear that the swarm has led to a release of pressure and the uplift at the north of the lake has almost ceased. There may even be a subsidence in the near future. The uplift was caused by the massive magma injection which has been modelled and described as the size of Los Angeles. The engery released caused the swarm and it would seem the giant has let out a breath and his chest is relaxed and sinking. But the chamber is not really like a lung. It's more like a heart, or like a deisel engine. (without any major combustion). Liquid is injected into the chamber which builds pressure. Then a valve is opened and the pressure is release. Just after the original swarm there was a secondary swarm to the north. This would be the route the escaping water, or magma, travelled. I have read nothing which denotes the actual cause of the swarms. Either way, the pressure has been reduced. This is great news. It means that the risk of an immenient eruption has been lowered.
But unlike a heart, the crust is not elastic. Even an elastic heart wears out with old age. The crust fractures with each breath the giant takes. Each fracture leads to reducing the amount of pressure the crust can hold back.

We can breath easier if the trend continues and there is a major subsidence. We've got time. No one knows how close we came to an eruption. But, without any evidence, I believe we dodged a bullet.

dsc.discovery.com...

dsc.discovery.com...

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Robin Marks]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Plumbing of a Supervolcano Revealed

The fossilized remains of a supervolcano that erupted some 280 million years ago in the Italian Alps are giving geologists a first-time glimpse at the deep "plumbing system" that brings molten rock from far underground to the Earth's surface.

The researchers estimate the ancient eruption sent about 500 cubic kilometers of volcanic ash into the atmosphere. For comparison, the supervolcano under Yellowstone National Park, which erupted 630,000 years ago, produced about 1,000 cubic kilometers.

Their study could help scientists to better understand what causes these massive explosions.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

How's it hanging in here???

Is anybody suspecting some activity after that 8.0 we've had in the pacific?? Did anybody pick it up on the sensors??

Still my favorite ATS thread....

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Somethings going on fer sure...8.0M...7.6M...

My EQ Site...

multimedia-mirage.redirectme.net...

3.0M at Parkfield Ca...

quake.usgs.gov...

and whats going on at YS???

www.isthisthingon.org...

Is this ringing???

If so it's a good one!

Just about every Seismo is pegged!!!

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

[edit on 9/30/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Just about every Seismo is pegged!!!

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Hey HX hows you, anyhow the above is definately a computer or connection problem or otherwise the rest of the world turned to rubble except for equadar in the last 30 mins! and not a murmur anywhere else...

Elf.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It looks like the earthquakes in Samoa and Indonesia have set off a few eq's around YS. I hope they weren't triggers.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Quite a few earthquakes have been going off on my equake since the big one yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't trigger any real big ones in Yellowstone or anywhere else. I will keep watching though!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Hey HX hows you, anyhow the above is definately a computer or connection problem or otherwise the rest of the world turned to rubble except for equadar in the last 30 mins! and not a murmur anywhere else...

Elf.

I can assure you it's not a "connection problem".

Anytime there's an earthquake that measures 6.7-7 or larger in the world, helicorders all over (depending on their relation to the epicenter) can go nuts for up to as much as an hour. Many times you can see the P and S waves clearly. They're really sensitive.

The software at the USGS and other agencies keeps those little red, blue, and yellow boxes from appearing on the activity maps.

If you want to see it in action, just install GEE (global earthquake explorer) and take a look at your favorite monitoring station a couple minutes after a big one.

Peace

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
can the cluster in mid california be related to long valley???

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Maybe it's because I watched Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea that I have water on the brain. That and the news. Floods in the Philippines, a tsunami in Somoa and the earthquake in Indonesia. Before the quake in Indonesia, the area had heavy rains. It not only led to the ground being unstable, which caused increased destruction, the rainfall could have lubricated the fault and been the catalyist for the quake. And I also have water on the brain because the vast country in which I live, we have had the worst summer anyone can remember. Most of Canada has had a summer with below average temps and incredible amounts of rain. It's never been so green.

Understanding the dynamics of water is the key to understanding Yellowstone. In fact water is key to understanding life and everything on our planet. Recently a probe sent by India to the moon has found water. Nothing has shaped human history and nothing will be more important to determining our future than water. Maybe I have water on the brain because I was knee deep in a river last night when I was fishing. I digress.

The first article I'll provide states that as the last ice age ended, the melting glaciers allowed a massive resurrgence of volcanic activity. The glaciers acted a cap on our bottle of cola. When the cap lost it's seal the bottle overflowed. The glaciers not only acted as a seal by it's incredible mass, it acted as natural cooling system. Magma that rose to the surface would lose it's heat as it was transfer to the cooler crust and would sink back into the mantle. Right now glaciers cover volcanoes in Iceland, Greenland and Antartica.

The second article is only relevent if you notice that the researchers suggest that the 2004 Sumatran earthquake changed the fluids (water) in the San Andreas fault. It's the water that the researchers are interested and how it relates to microquakes in the San Andreas and how large quakes can change this configuration. Maybe it's just me, but whenever there is a large quake, the motion under Old Faithful seems extremely dramatic and long lived. We know that research has linked large Alaskan quakes to changes in Yellowstones geyers. If you want to understand Yellowstone or understand anything that happens on this planet, think water. Find out what role water is playing in an event and you'll understand the why and the how of a matter.

dsc.discovery.com...

sciencedude.freedomblogging.com...

Here's one more water story making headlines. Southern India, which had been experiencing a terrible drought, has now had no stop rain and record flooding.

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Robin Marks]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Yep sorry there was a problem HX

The post I replied to, when I clicked on it showed ALL webicorders except equador showing no P or S waves just garbage, and if the traces were right 9's 10' and even 11's would have been happening everywhere for most of the day to not just 30 mins.

That was only noticable at the time I replied to the one link I posted, and I do know how to read charts and have been watching these same ones for nearly a decade.

They all seem to be normal now, but were not as said at that time on that one link. Have all the software and have for many years too

Anyhow the rest of what you said was correct and indeed as we all know a couple of days later indeed some large quakes have happened.

just to clear that up.

Peace to you to.

Elf

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Some activity occurring between YPP and YMS stations:
theinterveners.org...
(YMS not shown in webicorders, but it's available through GEE)

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ya there does seem to be a lil activity today, not for sure of the size, but they are back to back earthquakes,, been watchin gee all day, gonna continue to watch it all night to see if there might be another swarm, such as that back in dec 2008

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Just woke up, I checked GEE, and I found out this (scroll right to see more smaller earthquakes):

(sorry for the size, but it should be bandwidth-friendly)

Through the University of Utah you can see more quickly updated pages, but they only last one week:

This one is for October 14, YPP: www.seis.utah.edu...

These last ones appear to be occurring near YLT station, anyway (south-west of Yellowstone lake)

[edit on 2009-10-15 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Dear Shirakawa,

I've been trying to ignore this swarm but it's not going away. I'm just reading the webicorders. So I have a crude idea what I'm looking at. Is it normal to have all the little zigzags between events. Is it showing up on your GEE thingy. Is it wind. And some of them seem around 2 magnitude. And if I'm not mistaken, aren't they on the caldera rim fault. I'm trying to be low key. Trust me. Normal stuff. Right.

Sincerely,
R.L. Marks

top topics

<< 468  469  470    472  473  474 >>

join