It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy cow!! Look at this earthquake data!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I don't know if any of you have seen this but, here it is...........

www.thehorizonproject.com...

This is amazing.

It is a chart of destructive earthquakes over the last 100 years.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It seems to correlate with a growing population.

I imagine most of those Deadly & Destructive Earthquakes were centered around heavily populated areas.

Got to say that those last 8 years look pretty dang alarming.

Great find.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh my. I suppose all I can say, is Jesus must be coming

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Nice find.

I thought that the perception that large earthquakes are on the rise was due to better communications and dissemination of information. Surely that accounts for some of it, but not at that level.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
It seems to correlate with a growing population.

I imagine most of those Deadly & Destructive Earthquakes were centered around heavily populated areas.

Got to say that those last 8 years look pretty dang alarming.

Great find.

No no, population has nothing to do with this chart. The populatiuon today and the population in 1990 has not changed by that much. It seems from 1900-1995, there was at most 5-6 major earthquakes a year. Remember this chart only graphs magnitude 6-8, earthquakes.

Why is it, that the only anomaly on the graph comes in the last 10 years, where for practically every year in that last decade, the amount of quakes is many times more of the average year for the previous century?

1998: 7
1999: 13 quakes
2000: 6 quakes
2001: 7 quakes
2002: 22 (4 times average)
2003: 38 (almost 8 times average)
2004: 33 (6+ times everage)
2005: 36 (7 times average)
2006: 24 (4 times average)

Between 1900-1997, the highest year of major quakes brought a total of 6, this was in years '35, '57, '75, '76.

Not once in the last 10 years, has the amount of major earthquakes been less than, the highest recorded amount from 1900-1997.

Food for thought eh.

Does this not seem odd?

Edit: The reason the graph is titled "Deadly and Destructive" is because of the magnitude of the quakes, not because of how many people they killed. This chart does not reflect casualities at all, there fore the last decade is a complete anomaly. Remember that the richter scale is exponential, so 6 is exponentially larger than a 5. The reasoning for the title is that 6-8 magnitude quakes are the most likely to cause death and destruction, and 9's are very rare.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by king9072]

[edit on 2-12-2008 by king9072]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
After reviewing the USGS data this was taken from, it is apparent that the reported earthquakes over magnitude 6 has indeed increased greatly as communications technology, seismological instruments and information dissemination developed.

This may be a bit of a red-herring because of the above. We need to see how it correlates to the placement of measurement devices around the world. Has there been a large increase in ability to measure earthquakes in uninhabited or undeveloped areas going on at a similar rate to the increase?

The chart is simply a graph of reported quakes over 6 in magnitude. For that reason you would have to know many other details to even know if it is a true increase. Considering it is being used as a tool to sell a product and as an advertising vehicle on C2C, well you get the picture.

The person who put the information together should have pointed that out in the interest of intellectual honesty and not allowed it to be presented without all available information pertinent to the claim. After all their income relies some what on using fear to sell.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Statistics, gotta love 'em.

The graph is based on what the USGS terms an "historic" earthquake. Without a definition it's hard to tell exactly what they are talking about.

Here is another source of statistics for the period 1990-2008 which counts the actual number of recorded quakes and the fatalities attributed to them: neic.usgs.gov...
According to these statistics the number of earthquakes has varied but not really increased in that period of time. You will note that the number of earthquakes over 6.0 is a whole lot higher than what that "scary" graph shows.

Here's a note (also from the USGS). earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 12/2/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Ah come on, you cant tell me that it has gotten THAT much better in the past decade...

Saved to favorites , that is a site I want to watch.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
A joke if you like?......

[edit on 2-12-2008 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I wonder if some new detection technique is recording what used to be unrecorded? I guess I would blame global warming and the Earth rebounding from being compressed under the weight of glaciers and maybe the ripples from that adjustment through out the world.

Maybe its a HAARP weapon or something like that. Not really sure how antennas can move ginormous blocks of earth enough for resettling.

Graphs go up and down and 100 years is a blink of the eye geologically speaking. Not too worried, as if there would be any point to that.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Appreciate the insight and the knowledge and the way you said it in a courteous manner.

Star for you.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Related content about the Horizon Project Here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting stuff

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It probably has something to do with the earth's movement around the sun. Earthquakes go in cycles, just like everything else in our tiny clockwork universe.

Could it be aliens or HAARP or the crab people? Sure.

My money's on "We haven't been around long enough to get a big picture" - I mean, look at the scale of the events, the scale of the mitigating factors (plate tectonics, solar cycles, polar shifts, long-term climate change), and then the window of observation from which we can draw conclusions.

It's like trying to predict the next seven digits in a sequence when all you've got to work with is one number...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
we have had a Global Seismographic Network for 50+ years.
so record keeping has been there.

here is another strange thing
this is the ongoing trona earthquake swarm.
there has been no real main shock or after shock.
this is also just outside of NWC China Lake a top secret Navy research base.
is the Navy playing with something?????

Mag Name/Epicenter Date Time Lat Lon Event ID
4.0 14.4 mi N of Trona, CA Dec 02 2008 16:53:08 UTC 35.971 -117.325 14407020
3.7 14.3 mi N of Trona, CA Dec 02 2008 16:41:19 UTC 35.970 -117.322 14407012
3.8 15.1 mi NNE of Trona, CA Dec 02 2008 11:23:43 UTC 35.979 -117.309 14406888
4.1 14.0 mi N of Trona, CA Nov 30 2008 13:03:06 UTC 35.967 -117.327 14406304
4.0 14.2 mi N of Trona, CA Nov 29 2008 21:14:09 UTC 35.970 -117.327 14406196
3.9 14.4 mi N of Trona, CA Nov 25 2008 04:11:36 UTC 35.972 -117.328 14405360

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Looking more deeply tells me I'm correct. There is little reason to believe that chart indicates anything alarming. There are simply far more reporting stations recording data from a greater part of the globe. I'd bet most earthquakes in the last say thousand years went completely undocumented.

As with the weather, to even know what is normal would take more years of data than Bill Gates has square footage in his home

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
I wonder if some new detection technique is recording what used to be unrecorded? I guess I would blame global warming and the Earth rebounding from being compressed under the weight of glaciers and maybe the ripples from that adjustment through out the world.

Maybe its a HAARP weapon or something like that. Not really sure how antennas can move ginormous blocks of earth enough for resettling.

Graphs go up and down and 100 years is a blink of the eye geologically speaking. Not too worried, as if there would be any point to that.

Normally I would be "Holy Cow!" but considering technological advancement over the past 10-20 years is huge along with the fact that 100 years is really not even a blink of an eye for data like this there is a chance that it is a normal cycle say over a thousand years.

For example if more and more pressure and tension build up in the earth over time and there is a large release at the same time then the years in between that release and the next one would show very little activity as it takes time for all the plates to build up pressure and tension again.

It's too bad we aren't able to have a 1000 year graph to base it on because over a 1000 years and it showed the same as this graph I would be a little more worried.

Edit: I agree with the above poster I quoted hence the quote

[edit on 2-12-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Is it possible this is a form of seizmic warfare going on. I saw a post recently, about some patterned seizmic activity in the North Pole and it was possible nuclear testings of some type. I grew up in Vegas my whole life and there has been recorded over a 1000 testings. Whats even more interesting is how many uppper atmosperic nuclear testing that has been performed. And the media hype was that it was CFC's that burned a hole in our ozone layer in the 80's.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm with Blaine on this one. Show me this chart in ten or 15 years, then we'll see.....

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This only goes from 1900.
And its only showing more quakes post 1900 because we have better technology and have kept better records
150-200 years ago there could have been more but we didn't know they happened or no one recorded them.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I agree that the frequency of quakes on this graph is probably more to do with development in technology.

I'd be confident in saying there will likely be a similar sudden growth when we look at statistics for information gathering, development of registering equipment, resources spent on monitoring and research, and even such basic things as global use of internet communication.

This graph has to be taken with a big leap of faith while considering all the other factors that make quake reporting and analysis more efficient in recent years.

That still doesn't cancel out the possibility that there has been a rise in number, there might have been. I just think this graph shows the bare bones of it without filtering for all eventualities affecting the resulting data.

And am I right in saying this was produced by people employed in this field? They are going to want to show evidence that keeps them in a job and gets them more funding, that's the way all these things go right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join