It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Can't Concentrate, 'Modern Life' Is To Blame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

If You Can't Concentrate, 'Modern Life' Is To Blame

news.scotsman.com

THE average attention span of Britons has slumped in recent years because of the pressures of modern life, causing a "surge" in domestic accidents, according to a study.
A survey of 1,000 adults by Lloyds TSB showed it had fallen from more than 12 minutes a decade ago to five minutes and seven seconds now. In a test to judge awareness and ability to recall everyday events, the over-50s outperformed younger people, who were more likely to blame stress or too much work for short-term memory loss.

The report said the trend for people to have a shorter attention span was one of the main causes of accidents in the home, such as burnt-out pans or overflowing baths.

David Moxon, a social psychologist who led the study, said: "More than ever, research is highlighting a trend in reduced attention and concentration spans, and, as our experiment suggests, the younger generation appear to be the worst afflicted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-11-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Interesting...

So will this be a new diagnosis? Recession / Depressional-induced ADHD? Anyone noticed a surge in inability to concentrate / stay focused in these modern tougher life scenarios? Or within friends or family?

My guess is that this could be propaganda-based as well. Perhaps a new angle for pharma companies to cash in? lol

Something worth discussion either way.

Valid? Invalid?

news.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Could be the Chemtrails they are spraying, make us dumb so we sign up to the NWO plan.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I would love to respond to this thread but I can't remember what it was about and I'm to tired to skroll up and read it again.

But yeah, I do like oatmeal!!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Uh, I think that this is a disinfo article, so that the masses percieve that life is simply getting too busy.

The reality is that short attention spans are linked almost directly to what we ingest.

Though it is arguable that some forms of flashy entertainment have trained our brains for constant stimulus thus leading us to have a shorter attention span. I think that the arguement for food additives having a far greater affect is more valid.

Aspartame has its users feeling as if they are "walking around in a cloud" causing users to have short-term memory problems which can appear to be short attention span.

Flouride also affects the way peoples brains function, which can cause a variety of brain disorders. Including lowered aggression and intelligence.

Learn about both, here video.google.com...#

These are just two additives which are widely known about that cause these type of effects. Others including MSG, Coloring, and other additives may, and are likely, to be causing short attention span.

It's also obvious that ingredients such as sugar which appear mundane on the surface have a great affect on peoples attention span and ability to focus. The issue is that our society has now become too complacent with the horrible practices that go into producing the food that the population en masse consumes. Thus, perhaps our diet has more effect on our mind than any other factor including external stimulus by entertainment.

Even after switching to an alternative diet that does not include manufactured food, for just a couple days you feel as if a fog that has been following you around, has suddenly lifted. Thoughts become clear, your attention span widens and your able to focus when you previously hadn't of been able to.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'd guess that it has something to do with what is in our food/drinks, which is affecting modern children's development. The last generation didn't have as much of the crap they pump into our food nowadays.

edit: Didn't read above post. I agree.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Makes sense to me.
Modern society is one of immediate input. Television and internet requires so little of us; all information is presented with efficiency and vagueness. There's no requirement of us to search for info, factcheck, or even process it. Cellphones, emails and textmessages don't even require human contact. Life is becoming faster and less personal. I'm in the younger generation, but have found some ways to slow down. Walking, instead of driving or biking, allows time to think. Everyone could use a nice saunter.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheScribe
Makes sense to me.
Modern society is one of immediate input. Television and internet requires so little of us; all information is presented with efficiency and vagueness. There's no requirement of us to search for info, factcheck, or even process it. Cellphones, emails and textmessages don't even require human contact. Life is becoming faster and less personal. I'm in the younger generation, but have found some ways to slow down. Walking, instead of driving or biking, allows time to think. Everyone could use a nice saunter.

I recently bought a Heritage Softail Classic (Harley if anyone was wondering) and I can't believe how much one misses when they are in their cars with the radio going.

I suggest that everyone should own a motorcycle. You can't talk on your cell, unless you buy an upscale model you can't listen to the radio, it is just you, your thoughts and the rode. Laugh if you want, but it is a real eye opener to all the things you really miss out on. It's really nice having your loved one behind you, you can't hear her talk

Nothing like a leisure ride on a warm summer morning.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I blame the Internet and computers, if you want information you Google it and it's there, with such "fast-food" info it can cause irritation when you actually have to wait for something. The older generation that were also interviewed where they by any chance annoyingly inept with computers?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Agree, that is a nice sort of "escape", and that is what most of us need nowadays, if even for a brief time---A break away from the stress of it all.

Another key way to escape, or release much of the stress, is meditation. I can't tell you how beneficial this can be for almost ANYONE who is stressed out or feeling overwhelmed.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good responses here, so far; I agree with much of these factors.

I'd like to throw in a person's occupation having something to do with concentration... I've worked lots of different jobs over the decades, but the one that stuck, has been tree-cutting. Dangerous and strenuous, my attention has to be completely focused, obviously, or someone could get hurt or killed! It's not like day-dreaming at the car-sales job I had; or sluffing-off at retail or office jobs I've had; or pouring drinks, hoping for tips, and telling jokes!

Tends to help make me concentrate on non-job things as well, cause the built-in cautions are still present for me.

The world IS moving faster & faster, no doubt, and it seems like before you can digest some kind of horrible news, the next conflict or attack breaks out! I think we ARE being de-sensitized to more terrors, and bad news.

I truly agree with jd140, about motorcycling, what a rush it's always been for me! And TheScribe, mentioning walking- real good! Excersize is very important, personally I find Jiu-Jitsu to be magical. What a workout! Lends to a good night's sleep afterwards!

OK, now if I can remember where I parked my bike, I'll go!

new topics

top topics

join