It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush pushes broadband rollout by 2007

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (Reuters) - President Bush on Friday proposed 2007 as the goal for universal availability of high-speed Internet access to keep America competitive and innovative.

The rest of the story is here: news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040326/us_nm/bush_broadband_dc_13

I think this is a great idea. It should have come sooner.

I thought is was funny that minutes after the president spoke, Democratic presidential contender John Kerry mentioned broadband as a key growth area during a campaign speech laying out his economic policy.

These two guys are so funny.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Great idea. I used dialup last week for the first time in nearly a year. All that I could stand to do was check email, and then I'd log off. It was painful. I was happy to get back home to my cable modem.

"...Consumers have choices," the president said. That's key, imho. A broadband report that was in the news several months back compared to nations such as Sweden, who had one broadband provider and their rates were about $100 for slow 512 DSL speeds, to a nation like S. Korea, who has fierce competition and crazy broadband speeds for very little money. I remember the price being quoted was about $25, for 5+ mbps speeds.
Free markets can be a beautiful thing

With 200 million Americans online, I think this is very important.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Everyone should have Broadband since it rules. I could never go back to using Dial up. NO WAY.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yea, I have talked to a couple korean kids in my classes, they have said that internet there is very fast, and very cheap, and basically everyone has it available. He said compared to here, download times are incredibly quick.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
Yea, I have talked to a couple korean kids in my classes, they have said that internet there is very fast, and very cheap, and basically everyone has it available. He said compared to here, download times are incredibly quick.

I hate Koreans!! They have faster Internet than me!!

I want a 20Mbit LINE!!!

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
yeah - them bastards! See what happens when you embrace the free market!

I pay about $50 for cable, where I get about 2.5 mbps. Soon, for $100, I can get 3.5

SBC offers 1.5 DSL for $29 in these parts.

Problem I think we face is competition. It's typically DSL, from the local regional bell operating company, or a cable modem from your cable provider. A lot of 'competing local exchange carriers' aren't providing DSL. And, I don't know of anywhere that has competing cable companies. When I had DSL, I had to be a customer of SBC's. So, I had to switch back to them from a local competitor.
I've read that one carrier, I forget who, 'unbundled' DSL from phone service recently. Good move.

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep

That is a good idea! The President comes out with a good idea every blue moon or 4.

But... the way demos & repubs fight like children, we probably will not get that until a newer technology like "ultra-wide-turbo broadband" takes hold and makes broadband seem like dial-up.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yay broadband for everyone! All we need now are jobs, decent pay and to stop getting cornholed at the gas pump and things will start to look up.

Whoopiee-#ing-doo...

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Yay broadband for everyone! All we need now are jobs, decent pay and to stop getting cornholed at the gas pump and things will start to look up.

Whoopiee-#ing-doo...

LMAO!! You are so right.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Grreeeaaaattttt...now all of our computers will be connected at all times, and more than likely being monitored by subdivisions of the NWO, targeting us folk who search for the alternative to the charade they play...so if this plan ever happens to get some steam, don't be surprised if these forums suddenly become vacant...

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Let the brainwashing commence. Now they will control us all. Waves of energy transmitted through your computer for total domination of your minds.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I used to have dsl. then some thing happened, i stay at my buddies house. hes still on 28k dial up, and is too stoopid to ditch this computer, ditch the 28 dial up, and wake up and smell the 21st century.

go, broadband!

top topics

join