It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Bolide Forecast Tonight; No Damage Expected

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Asteroid coming in! Africa target? TOMORROW!

www.skyandtelescope.com

Many telescopes around the world are dedicated to scanning the sky, looking for asteroids that might potentially hit Earth. Many candidates have been found, and some have received widespread coverage in the mainstream press. But when the trajectories have been computed, all of them have turned out to be false alarms — until now!

Last night (Sunday, October 5th), a telescope on Mount Lemmon, Arizona, detected a tiny moving blip, the signature of a small chunk of rock moving rapidly through space. Twenty-five observations have been done since then by professional and amateur astronomers around the world, and the object's orbit has been pinned down with fairly high precision. It is almost certain to hit Earth's atmosphere around 10:46 p.m. EDT tonight, October 6th. (That's 2:46 a.m. October 7th, Greenwich Mean Time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am an astronomical illustrator, amateur astronomer and know a possible important event when I hear it.

I just got this Astro Alert from the Sky and Telescope Website.

This might be larger or smaller than predicted, and it might be a smaller piece of material from an unseen object. In this case a dark object inbound to Earths atmosphere.

For now it is Africa impact for the Bolide, (en.wikipedia.org...) but if a smaller chunk of a larger body, it could come in at a later time rotation of the Earth putting it ANYWHERE!

We have to not panic, as this is not known, but the possibility has always existed.

If it happens and a larger asteroid is involved yet not observed (quite common) it could be big enough an impact to effect the planet and effectively take out citys and cover the skys world wide with dust and debris for months. The cold and the dark would be in effect.

Be awake, and ready to take steps to help yourself and your neighbors. We can survive such an event with everyone working FOR everyone.

My fervent wish this is not going to happen, but if you see a glow on the horizon, all communications and services are interrupted you will be able to know it is NOT a nuclear event. It is the natural organic process of planetary life.

I'll try and supplement more information as I find it or it happens.

B14ALL

ZG

www.skyandtelescope.com

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
There is also a short story on this on spaceweather.com...

Their site seems rather slow, so I'd guess the news is starting to spread.

5 hours to impact.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic

A few Meteors Planetoid To Hit Earth Tonight

Though it is in a different Forum.
Some good comments and additions/discussions.

Probably best to keep the Boards Clean at the Moment and use the search button?

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So what time is this meteor/asteroid going to hit Eastern Standard Time? Thanks in advance..

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
To help everyone understand, here is the definition of a Bolide.

Bolide For the missile of the name BOLIDE, see RBS 70. The word bolide comes from the Greek βολις, (bolis) which can mean a missile or to flash. The IAU has no official definition of bolide and generally considers the term synonymous with fireball. The term is more often used among geologists than astronomers where it means a very large impactor. For example, the USGS uses the term to mean a generic large crater forming projectile "to imply that we do not know the precise nature of the impacting body ... whether it is a rocky or metallic asteroid, or an icy comet, for example".[7] Astronomers tend to use the term to mean an exceptionally bright fireball, particularly one that explodes (sometimes called a detonating fireball).

Much activity on ATS for the psychics and others predicting SOMETHING to happen tomorrow. They are interpreting it however from very subjective knowledge possibly.

Those of us who have astronomical and science based knowledge and understanding see how such an event could easily be interpreted as nuclear.

Also these are Dark Bodies that can only be seen when they pass over a star or bright object like a nebula. So you are lucky if you see it. Well, they got one! But they might not be as lucky seeing others as part of the same asteroid broken up and spread out.

If you remember Comet Shoemaker-Levy ?, Well asteroids do the same thing. Others not caught might be in front or behind this asteroid. I'll post some of my illustrations to show this later.

A small fact, I predicted multiple comets 20 years ago. Well before Shoemaker-Levi Asteroids in groups are a given. Comets break up too as they are effected by solar and planetary gravitational effects. They break up and slowly spread out just like Shoemaker_levy. It's a fact now.

Several programs have been submitted for national funding for scanning the sky for asteroids but Congress where too busy watching their wall street pushers for money and favors.

We have only a small smattering of people looking for asteroids and are missing 90% or more! We, due to lack of sky watching resources, are missing other inbounds.

About 70 percent of the estimated 1,090 asteroids bigger than 1 kilometer across have been detected and their orbits identified. Now NASA is under congressional orders to find 90 percent of the much more numerous small asteroids—those at least 140 meters (459 feet) across—by 2020. "They run the gamut from wimpy ex-comets to slabs of solid iron," Yeomans said. "Our goal is to eliminate 90 percent of the risk from these smaller objects." "We can't prevent hurricanes or tornadoes," said Russell "Rusty" Schweikert, another former astronaut, "but we can prevent this asteroid impact." To accomplish the goal, the Air Force is financing a system of ground-based telescopes in Hawaii called Pan-Starrs that will start searching in 2010 for asteroids or comets that are on a collision course with Earth. The National Science Foundation is building a Large Synoptic Survey Telescope in Chile that will scan the sky every three days for faint objects—including asteroids—starting in 2014. Although almost all possibly dangerous asteroids can be detected, the risk can't be reduced to zero. "There's always a tiny chance that something is hiding behind the sun," said Alan Harris, a member of the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo.

In this case it might be too late for such action, or maybe a call to arms for our sciences and congress to get to the important stuff and loose the political sit-com drama crap and pocket-filling hands in the cookiejar Washington-Wall Street illicit affair.

We have lost sight of what is important. We might have to grow up FAST!

ZG

[edit on 10/6/2008 by ZeroGhost]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
So what time is this meteor/asteroid going to hit Eastern Standard Time? Thanks in advance..

Either 9:46PM or 10:46PM depending if you're observing daylights saving time.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thank you, I read your second post and I understand now. Thank you so much Star and Flag for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
wow, I'm not one of those people which believes every prophecy or prediction made but the overwhelming evidence towards a mass event occuring on October 7th seem very likely. May we all pray
. IN GOD WE TRUST

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Nice science post. Flagged.

I guess I've missed all the October 7th references, what gives with that? Some prediction of a disaster?

My last thought on this was: Now, if we can only keep the candidates from looking up tomorrow ...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wow, very intriguing post OP, especially with the unspecific predictions for something to happen tomorrow...
Part of me really wants something major to just happen, something societally ground-breaking and intense. Then again the Buddhist part of me says wtf man chill out... it's all about peace and love...

Time will tell.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A little PSA here...

There appears to be some confusion regarding this news story... This is not a prediction, nor is it vague or unspecified.

There is more here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Even more:

space.newscientist.com...

Fun Java:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
News tomorrow: "Trajectory of meteor incorrect; Iran LEVELED"

haha Just playin. Ill be outside, probably wont notice anything from my location in the world but hey ill be around!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroGhost

Be awake, and ready to take steps to help yourself and your neighbors. We can survive such an event with everyone working FOR everyone.

There is absolutely no reason for alarm. Our Government agencies are
more than capable of taking care of the populace. I site Katrina and Ike
as sterling examples of the wonderful work and dedication that FEMA is capable of. The Dept. of Homeland security has our back against any and all threats. Even wayward bolides.

Sleep easy tonite in the knowledge that our leaders are ready to protect us from any and all evil.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm located in Crete, that greek island north of Africa / Sudan.
Anyone knows from which direction it will approach Sudan? If from the north, it will fly over me short time before impact and i may see a cool light show on the early morning sky, since the sky is clear here tonight (as usual
).

Kay

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Toveri

Thank you sir, I do believe we're observing daylight savings time right now so it'll be at 9:46.. hopefully someone from sudan has access to a video camera and youtube

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well if it hits tonight at 10:46 PM, thats October 6th not 7th. What is all this "something bad to happen on October 7th" talk coming from?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
it's october 7 here and has been for 13.21 hours.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
What if it doesn't "come-in" over Sudan, but instead starts flying around all over the world. Could this be the "ship" all the new agies are talking about? Just food for thought.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join