It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Years Of U.S. UN Vetoes (did you know?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
after reading that extensive list of vetoes, my brain hurts even more. I can make tons of remarks that will probably get me flamed so I won't say anything..just read for yourself, if you know me at all from some of my posts, I think you know how surmise what I might have to say...however I would like to your comments on it.

Read all the years and vetoes here:
30 Years Of U.S. UN Vetoes.
Year -----Resolution Vetoed by the USA
1972 Condemns Israel for killing hundreds of people in Syria and Lebanon in air raids.
1973 Afirms the rights of the Palestinians and calls on Israel to withdraw from the occupied territories.
1976 Condemns Israel for attacking Lebanese civilians.
1976 Condemns Israel for building settlements in the occupied territories.
1976 Calls for self determination for the Palestinians.
1976 Afirms the rights of the Palestinians.
1978 Urges the permanent members (USA, USSR, UK, France, China) to insure United Nations decisions on the maintenance of international peace and security.
1978 Criticises the living conditions of the Palestinians.
1978 Condemns the Israeli human rights record in occupied territories.
1978 Calls for developed countries to increase the quantity and quality of development assistance to underdeveloped countries.
1979 Calls for an end to all military and nuclear collaboration with the apartheid South Africa.
1979 Strengthens the arms embargo against South Africa.
1979 Offers assistance to all the oppressed people of South Africa and their liberation movement.
1979 Concerns negotiations on disarmament and cessation of the nuclear arms race.
1979 Calls for the return of all inhabitants expelled by Israel.
1979 Demands that Israel desist from human rights violations.
1979 Requests a report on the living conditions of Palestinians in occupied Arab countries.
1979 Offers assistance to the Palestinian people.
1979 Discusses sovereignty over national resources in occupied Arab territories.
1979 Calls for protection of developing counties' exports.
1979 Calls for alternative approaches within the United Nations system for improving the enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms.
1979 Opposes support for intervention in the internal or external affairs of states.
1979 For a United Nations Conference on Women.
1979 To include Palestinian women in the United Nations Conference on Women.
1979 Safeguards rights of developing countries in multinational trade negotiations.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
can anyone offer me an explanation as to why the US exercised veto power on all these resolutions?????

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The US is a permanent security council member and has one veto per resolution. I'd like to see a list of US violation of UN resolutions, as well as Israel.

DC

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
LOL... I think we all know why. On the other hand, Israel did need some help back then< i mean the 6 day war (thats was it right) . I mean the Pals and the rest of the Arab states have made it pretty hard on them back then,
But IMHO its time for us to cut the cord and leave the decisions up to a majorty UN vote. But the problem with that is what vote comes up with Hamas kills 20 innocent people and its well know the goverment does back them up, where is the UN taking positions on this. So If Israel just backed a Jewish terror group it would be ok?

Its such a tough thing over there, wish it was like it is in NY , I live next to a Jew and a Arab and we play cards on Wed. and I take all there money =)

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yep.
Knew about them and agree with virtually all of them.
BTW, since your listing them, care to provide the reasons that US vetoed those particular issues?
How is that you can list them but not bother to research the reasons?

seekerof

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
here is a list of Israels' resolutions. I dont know about the violations but i remember reading that Israel has violated more resolutions than any other. I think India might be up there too though.www.middleeastnews.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
U.N. has been pro-palestinian for a long time. U.S. backs them (Isreal) because 1. They are the only Democracy in the region. 2. They are kind of like the boogyman for the Arabs, sort of like the US's pitbull.
Why can't the Arabs figure out a way to vote for people who can maybe change things. Seems like they like having Isreal to hate. Who would they hate if Isreal was gone? Who would they blame their problems on. Probably the US.

I don't know why all the star trek liberals think the UN is some kind of great thing. Sure it sounds nice, the whole world working together to solve problems. But the reality of the UN is that does not work that way. They are a joke.

Q

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Its such a tough thing over there, wish it was like it is in NY , I live next to a Jew and a Arab and we play cards on Wed. and I take all there money =)

That's what's so beautiful about America. I honestly don't think it ever occurs to the rest of the world that it can realistically be that way. We can all get along, people just have to want to. A friend of mine once put it this way, shortly after 9-11. "Why can't it be like it is here? You go to your church on Sunday, I'll go to mine, the neighbors will just stay home and sleep--and you can all come to my house afterwards and we'll have a cookout! Burgers, dogs, and cold brooskys for all. Got a religious issue with pork? No problem! That's more ribs for everybody else, and I'll be happy to throw a big slab of chicken or fish on the barby for ya." The American dream is truly beautiful.

OK, back on topic...why does the US veto resolutions in the UN? Because we can. That bunch of sniveling snotrags is useless without us. The reason we vetoed so many of those Pal/Israeli resolutions is because they were wrong. Why the hell should we condemn Israel when their airstrikes kill people in countries who started the war with them? That's like a thief suing the person who shot him after breaking into his home.

And I dig the 'pitbull' analogy, Variable. "Git 'em!"

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Isreal is our ally, there for, we support them. They have not always treated the palistinians well, but then again, why would they? They only want a small sliver of land, and they get suicide bombers for it.

It boils down to the fact that hard line Islamic doctrine sees it as unholy for a non muslim to set foot on "their holy land." therefor, no one is allowed to live in the middle east but them.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Yep.
Knew about them and agree with virtually all of them.
BTW, since your listing them, care to provide the reasons that US vetoed those particular issues?
How is that you can list them but not bother to research the reasons?

seekerof
[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Seekerof]

well i wasn't surprised to hear that you would agree with virtually all of them

I came across the article, read it, and was surprised...unfortunately my little brain never bothered to read up on the UN and all the resolutions we have vetoed before. I didn't research the list and created it, I just posted it from an article...i merely read it and decided that this would be good place to discuss it and hear other opinions on it, such as yours, since I don't always have the time to research everything I want to know more about. btw...its not just a the palestian and israel conflict....it's some of the other resolutions too that I wonder about....I mean I understand why we would veto resolutions critical of us. and I know the reasoning as to some of these vetoed resolutions, but not all.

Some just seemed as if we are the ones that are hampering progress in the Middle East. I don't know, but logic tells me if the Palestinians had decent living conditions, were treated humanely, had equal rights, perhaps they wouldn't need to resort to suicide bombings.

I also wonder why is it, that we are the only country that is always "right". Do we never make mistakes in judgement? Why isn't the opinion of the rest of the world as important as ours?

btw, thanks to everyone who shared their opinion on this so far.

Q

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The sad fact is that the entire area was in pretty much the same condition at the time of the 'new' Israel's creation. That is to say, it was pretty crappy. Israel built their area up into a decent place to live, with an economy disproportionately large relative to their geographical size and population. Meanwhile, the Palestinians neglected their land, being more interested in taking (retaking, whatever...) the area 'next door' than working with what they had. The result? Palestine sucks, because they made it that way.

Say you give new, identical houses to 2 people. Person 1 works his tail off and takes care of his place. Puts in a pool. Plants some nice flower beds. Adds a 2 car garage on to the house. Person 2 just lives there--doesn't try to make the place better, doesn't mow the yard, doesn't make any real attempt at making the place livable--just draws the welfare check and watches his family on the Springer show. After a period of time, person 2's place is going to become a real hole which nobody would want to live in, while person 1's home has become the envy of the neighborhood. This is essentially what has happened, only on a larger scale. Was it because person 2 was somehow opressed by his neighbor, or because they didn't have enough pride and sense to take care of his home?

A lot of people will disagree with this, and try to flame the notion for this reason or that, but this is the way I see it, and I'm quite certain it's not too far from the truth.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Q]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Say you give new, identical houses to 2 people. Person 1 works his tail off and takes care of his place. Puts in a pool. Plants some nice flower beds. Adds a 2 car garage on to the house. Person 2 just lives there--doesn't try to make the place better, doesn't mow the yard, doesn't make any real attempt at making the place livable--just draws the welfare check and watches his family on the Springer show. After a period of time, person 2's place is going to become a real hole which nobody would want to live in, while person 1's home has become the envy of the neighborhood. This is essentially what has happened, only on a larger scale. Was it because person 2 was somehow opressed by his neighbor, or because they didn't have enough pride and sense to take care of his home?

I agree with you to a point. Personally, the whole mid east is one big # hole to me. My only problem with Isreal is that they are opresive to a lot of innocent people (like I have said before, I can understand why, though do not tottally agree with them). The Isreali's have done a great job of furthering themselves...AKA Jews. However, the problem is that they do not give Palestinians the same treatment - thus the outrage.

On a side note, as a US citizen, I would just love to cut ties with Isreal - we have given them enough already - we give them billions of dollars a year, weapons, international support - and what do they do? Spy on us and give our enemys our weapons. The problem is 2 fold: A) it will never happen because of the Jewish money paid to politicians in the US and B) They are the one ally we do have in the mid east so we need to keep it that way.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q
That's what's so beautiful about America. I honestly don't think it ever occurs to the rest of the world that it can realistically be that way. We can all get along, people just have to want to.

You think that is any special? It's like that in the EU countries and many many other countries all around the world. Open your eyes and mind and feel the world and not the American style of life.

The vetos are quite easy to explain. While many countries in the world look for coalitions like the EU or the arabian countries, the US tries to stay a superpower which remains self-dependent and self-confindent. From this view I can fully understand all those vetos and they are logic and "good".
But objectivly it just shows how much US governments did to # up the world.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
1978 Urges the permanent members (USA, USSR, UK, France, China) to insure United Nations decisions on the maintenance of international peace and security.
1978 Calls for developed countries to increase the quantity and quality of development assistance to underdeveloped countries.
1979 Calls for an end to all military and nuclear collaboration with the apartheid South Africa.
1979 Strengthens the arms embargo against South Africa.
1979 Offers assistance to all the oppressed people of South Africa and their liberation movement.
1979 Concerns negotiations on disarmament and cessation of the nuclear arms race.
1979 Calls for protection of developing counties' exports.
1979 Calls for alternative approaches within the United Nations system for improving the enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms.
1979 Opposes support for intervention in the internal or external affairs of states.
1979 For a United Nations Conference on Women.
1979 To include Palestinian women in the United Nations Conference on Women.
1979 Safeguards rights of developing countries in multinational trade negotiations.
Ok, Arab and Israeli issues pulled of (the one about Palestinian women I don't pull off because I think it has to be with womens, not Palestinians).

Care someone to explain me the reason of this vetoes? I could understant an opposition to nuclear weapons regulation under the Cold War, but the veto againt the Conference of Women, even without Palestinian ones, is far beyond my reach.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yeah, shoo, you look at the last 100 years of the U.S.'s involvment in the world and say we have made it a worse place (actually, you used a little different wording, allowing the true you shine through). You see what you want to see.

World Watcher, why would you think that the U.S. has backed Israel? Why is it that so much of the rest of the world barely notices when Israeli innocents are slaughtered, yet when Israel bites back, they scream with all the indignation they can muster? I am also noticing that the people and the country that are playing out their role in the end time, the same that has seen the prophesies fulfilled, allowing us to see that the hours are numbered, you are turning your back on, buying in to Satanic conspiracy lies and disregarding the prophesies. Careful friend, don't let the world blind you. Instead, look at who and what it hates.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Yeah, shoo, you look at the last 100 years of the U.S.'s involvment in the world and say we have made it a worse place (actually, you used a little different wording, allowing the true you shine through). You see what you want to see.

World Watcher, why would you think that the U.S. has backed Israel? Why is it that so much of the rest of the world barely notices when Israeli innocents are slaughtered, yet when Israel bites back, they scream with all the indignation they can muster? I am also noticing that the people and the country that are playing out their role in the end time, the same that has seen the prophesies fulfilled, allowing us to see that the hours are numbered, you are turning your back on, buying in to Satanic conspiracy lies and disregarding the prophesies. Careful friend, don't let the world blind you. Instead, look at who and what it hates.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

oh boy. I know you hate it when I respond to something like this, but something I can really sink my teeth into. Firstly, thank you, Worldwatcher, for having the gall to post this audacious truth! EVERYTIME any country puts forth a resoultion condemning Israel, it is vetoed by the US. It's like Sharon said, "we control America", and nothing could be more true than that statement in this regard.

The rest of the world does NOT barely notice the damage upon innocent Israelis. I feel a lot of remorse and regret for both sides of the occupation, but the Israeli death toll is far less than that of the Palestinian figures. That's probably why Palestinians usually get more of the violins playing for their side, if you catch my drift.

And satanic conspiracy lies? how about looking into who St john the Baptist was, my friend? can you really trust such a guy, who was also into secret societies, to make holy predictions for the so-called 'end times'? NO! Can you trust him to make plans to be carried out by his propogators? Hell yes! And that's what's going on there. To make sure of it, Rothschild, another secret society fanatic, got the wheels spinning by shipping tons of unsuspecting and persecuted people into Palestine. Do you see the pattern here or are you busy thinking that this is another satanic conspiracy lie?

oh yeah, and once again, do not, repeat DO NOT say that Israelis are jews. to say so is a direct insult to the jewish community. the rulership of Israelis are zionists, and that is not jewish. the zionists at the top know full well of that statement from Jesus that says "there will be people who claim to be jews of the house of God, when really they are people from the house of Satan", and that's exactly who they are.

[Edited on 3/28/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
AO:

EVERYTIME any country puts forth a resoultion condemning Israel, it is vetoed by the US. It's like Sharon said, "we control America", and nothing could be more true than that statement in this regard.

First of all, as I mentioned before in this thread....all information pertaining to the reasons for such US vetoing is openly available on the internet and in a variety of forms.
Secondly...here is the reason AO for what you mention above:

In July 2002, the United States shifted its policy and announced that it would veto any Security Council resolution on the Middle East that did not condemn Palestinian terror and name, Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the Al-Aksa Martyrs Brigade as the groups responsible for the attacks. The U.S. also said that resolutions must note that any Israeli withdrawal is linked to the security situation, and that both parties must be called upon to pursue a negotiated settlement (Washington Post, July 26, 2002). The Arabs can still get around the United States by taking issues to the General Assembly, where nonbinding resolutions pass by majority vote, and support for almost any anti-Israel resolution is assured.

The United Nations

If you don't like the 'source', again any search engine, properly utilized will reveal more source to your liking.

You then assert:

The rest of the world does NOT barely notice the damage upon innocent Israelis. I feel a lot of remorse and regret for both sides of the occupation, but the Israeli death toll is far less than that of the Palestinian figures. That's probably why Palestinians usually get more of the violins playing for their side, if you catch my drift.

Excuse me? Because one has more casualities than the other is the reason for your condemnation of Israel?! WTF? Wow.....thats one of the best I have heard in quite sometime.

How about explain this AO with some of your neutral stance reasoining:

In the United Nation's General Assembly, 429 anti-Israel resolutions were passed from 1967 to 1988. Israel was "condemned" 321 times. Arab nations? Not once.

The United Nation's War Against Israel

While your at it, as I have also asked a few others, and yet to see to the contrary, please provide where the Palestinian's have once, just once, been given a UN condemnation or a UN resolution condemning the suicide acts or acts of terrorism committed against Israel?

You then travel off in the land of secret socities and such...care to provide concrete factual material on that also?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
man, seekerof. here we go again with that israeli website... ok give me some time and ill post your friggin sources.

in the mean time, chew on this as a response.

Your first statement about 07/2002 is flawed. Firstly, because the US has been vetoing such resolutions for decades before the so-called war on terrorism. doesnt surprise me that it was quoted within that biased website you provided. you love that site, don't you?

And no, it is not because one side has suffered almost 2x the amount of causualties than the other. It is simply because one side is militarily enforcing its presence which originated from elite zionist funding and continues today through american taxpayers and the military industrial complex which makes BILLIONS off of the IDF. Also, if rothschild kept his greedy hands out of the whole situation in the 1930s, nothing would be said about anything today. Don't feed me that "religious right" crap either, because virtually anyone can claim such nonsense. For instance, I could pretend that I was persian and then go on and say "we have the divine right to reestablish Persia because it was dictated by god." Doesnt that sound pretty silly? I thought so.

I am happy you noticed my generally neutral stance. In this case, I admit that I am somewhat leaning towards the Palestinans because I have a thing for those who are put down. It's sort of a defensive complex, really. But to compensate, since the zionist damage has been done, it would be best to establish borders with no checkpoints and free travel zones. The only reason the intifada is still continuing is because the IDF continues to rule the land with an Iron fist. I mean, shoot, anyone would get severly pissed at that kind of government. If we, in the US, had our own intifada fought by infantry and were retaliated against via gunships, f-16's, and tanks, that would keep our fire burning, too right? you have no idea how much the arab people in that land are segregated against, and how much propaganda is promoted by both sides.

here is my solution. if you take away the anti-israeli propaganda, along with the the antti-arab propaganda, along with the IDF's constant reminder that they are in power, along with the checkpoints, along with the foreign supply of arms on both sides of the conflict, along with the New Berlin Wall, and, finally, reform the Knesset (Israeli equivalent to our Sentate), THEN you will start to see some peaceful progress in the land.

but until then, you will see peace talks severed by both sides as they both like to perform operations at the time of or before scheduled peace talks. Never forget what happened to Israeli PM Yitzhak Rabin, who was killed by zionist terrorist because he came close to striking a peace. Do you understand? Peace over there isn't profitable for those in power!

now hang on. i'll find your st john the baptist stuff.

damn that was quick. and here you go!

"One charge against the Templars was idolatry, the worship of an idol called Baphomet. Legend tells that Baphomet was the severed head of St. John the Baptist who was revered by the Knights Templar. The Atbash cipher, an Essenic code, was applied to the name Baphomet. The cipher produced the word Sophia. Could the Templar cult of the Black Madonna have worshiped Sophia the Mother of Wisdom, associated with the goddess Isis and her child Horus? St Bernard of Clairvaux was the key individual in the adoption of the Virgin Mary's glorification by the Church. Was he really trying to revive the "Order of Isis" cult, under the guise of the Virgin Mary. The Christian Madonna and Child sculptures soon adorned many Cisterian Monastaries through out Europe."

what, you want more? ok!! this one is from a source you may appreciate more.
www.smotj.org...

The Priory
The Priory of St John the Baptist is made up of two Commanderies, both located in the upper Midwest. The Priory is one of the earliest in the Grand Priory of the United States, of the Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem, dating back to the 1960s when King Peter of Yugoslavia would attend meetings in the Chicago area. Originally known as the Priory of Chicago, the name was changed to its present designation in the 1980s in honor of St. John the Baptist, a special biblical figure in the Templar lexicon.

[Edited on 3/28/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Seems no one dares to answer my question, even with the possibility that I will overlook the matter without a proper response for weeks or months, as my appearances are usually brief.

As usual...

[Edited on 2004-3-28 by MakodFilu]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

The US took a lot of good decission in their own favour, can't really blame them because of this. But they were just too selfish unlike other nations.
Everything they did was bad? No, of course not but remember how long it took until US forces helped against the Nazis in WW2 - same now with the near east. They didn't care about all those countries until they were attacked by them or their citizens. So the few "good" things done by the US govs come up with an uncomfortable taste. I am open minded for anything that proofs me totally wrong

top topics

<<   2 >>

join