It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billings Gazette on ATSNN's USGS interview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
An explosion, which is rare, might result in crater formations such as Mary Bay or Turbid Lake nearby. The dome could also result in a relatively tame collapse similar to what happened at Storm Point thousands of years ago or it could crack and release fluids and pressure, similar to what once happened at Sedge Bay.

www.billingsgazette.com.../2004/02/20/build/wyoming/35-lakedome.inc

(we do not post entire articles on ATS. Please review the the text warning about this directly above the post thread form)
This story from the Billigns Gazette cannot be in reference to Valhall's exhaustive interview on ATSNN since the Gazette story is date-stamped: February 20, 2004 (Last modified February 20, 2004 - 2:42 am)

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
ATSNN isn't actually mentioned anywhere in this article. I think it's just their opinion on what's going on. It falls way short of Valhall's interview.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
You don't think that those concerned at the Gazette (staff) should have did a bit more research into this, before posting the above article?

Is Dr. Lisa Morgan "flip-flopping," waffling, is not really 100% sure she, or the other USGS geologists on this, have a 'grip' of 'what' is going on...maybe? How about that the USGS might be down-playing this or being very conservative on their estimations?
Try this on Dr. Morgan's past statements:

She has found that temperatures along the inflated plain have been recorded at about 85 degrees 60 feet down, where the plain bulges up about 100 feet above the lake floor. (Park spokesman Cheryl Matthews says the lake rarely reaches more than 66 degrees at the surface by late summer, and is much colder deeper down.) The inflated plain stretches 2,100 feet - about the length of seven football fields - across.

"We think this is very young," something that occurred in the last few years, Morgan said.

"We're thinking this structure could be a precursor to an hydrothermal explosive event," Morgan said last week. "But we don't think this is a volcano."

If the bulge should explode, "we think it would create a large crater." But such an explosion, smaller versions of which created Indian Pond, Duck Lake and Mary Bay itself, would probably heat up the water temporarily, create high waves, spew poison gasses and other materials into the lake for a time, and leave a rimmed underwater crater.

Bulge in lake worries YNP scientists

Or this concerning some of her past remarks:

It's a pressing mystery that a team led by a Colorado-based scientist will try to puzzle out this month.

In a scientific paper, Lisa Morgan said the "inflated plain" is "a potential and serious hazard and possible precursor to a large hydrothermal explosion event."

Morgan chose her words carefully in an interview near Indian Pond, a seemingly placid lake created by a similar hydrothermal explosion 3,000 years ago.

"We're not saying this structure is ready to blow," said Morgan, a U.S. Geological Survey research geologist based in Lakewood who specializes in volcanic terrain. "It's a significant feature. We're just not sure what it's going to do.

Park Lake Hints at Buildup to Huge Blast
(Note: Linked to above due to the original source not having an available article: Denver Post)

I mean after all, this Gazette report has been labeled thus (below)?

A REPORTER IN DENIAL OR TRYING TO KEEP US ALL CALM?
When green trees are under water on only one side of the lake, what does that tell you?

Yellowstone Lake dome unlikely to explode: Internet chatter about coming cataclsym unsupported

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO GETTING READY TO BLOW ITS CORK--Latest News

seekerof

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
well doesn't that figure....she probably thought that nothing would come from the 1st interview......you know, just a bunch of kooks gunna read it...............

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That article runs counter to everything I have read.

A friend of mine talked to someone in the yellowstone area who said the dome has displaced so much water that it has pushed the water's edge right up to his cabin door.

That statement would be difficult for me to prove here on ats but I have no doubts about my friends statement.

new topics

top topics

join