It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Of Prey??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just Curious is the Icon for Aircraft Projects, Boeings Bird of Prey Prototype?

puz:

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Star Eagle]

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Star Eagle]

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is the project patch.

I posted this photo so everyone knows what aircraft we are talking about.

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yes that is the prototype

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
you got a link?

i dont know of this aircraft

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
you got a link?

i dont know of this aircraft

Yes, this is from Boeing.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Boeing Bird of Prey: A few details...

Powered by a single engine from a Citation business jet,(the 14.2kN Pratt & Whitney Canada JT15D-5 engine), the Bird of Prey had a maximum speed of 300 mph and a maximum altitude of 20,000 feet.

The primary objective in Boeing building the BoP was threefold:

1. To demonstrate Boeing's ability to build stealth technology, with a renewed focus on obtaining a very low radar cross-section (RCS) as well as visual and even acoustic signatures. In fact it's been confirmed by DARPA officials that it was their desire that the BoP could achieve daylight stealth and they were not disapointed. Whether this "bird" had active optical stealth is anybody's guess however.

2. To show the USAF Boeing's Phantom Works could build prototype airplanes quickly and cheaply, (the BoP was made almost exclusively from carbon fiber composite parts)

3. Unlike any other manufacturer of bizarre shaped (note it is tailess) aircraft before it, Boeing demo'd the BoP with an all-manual flight control system without a computer in sight, and yet it maintained stable flight.

The Bird of Prey made a total of 38 flights and the first one was in 1996, also according to an industry exec I spoke to about a year ago, the BoP test flights occured at a "remote location on the Nellis AFB range".

So what did this $67 million demonstration flyer net Boeing?
According to industry insiders, the X-45 UCAV deal...
Nearly all the technologies demonstrated in the Bird of Prey have been utilized in Boeings new X-45 UCAV light SEAD/strike aircraft...

Sources:
Private conversations with an industry exec
Janes Defense Weekly: "Now you see it, now you won't", 27 November 2002
Popular Science: "Boeing unveils stealth 'Bird of Prey'", Bill Sweetman, October 18, 2002

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Boeing Bird of Prey: A few details...

3. Unlike any other manufacturer of bizarre shaped (note it is tailess) aircraft before it, Boeing demo'd the BoP with an all-manual flight control system without a computer in sight, and yet it maintained stable flight.

Wow! But I bet they ran so many simulations and wind-tunnel tests, they would knew the flight dynamics to a T. It's also not a very fast plane.

However, the BoP is not a totally new design, and like most cool American stuff, was originally thought up by the godless goosesteppers. (The British think up their own stuff, like the Harrier, LOL!) The basic design already existed many years ago. Here's the Blohm & Voss P.210.

Luft '46: BV P.210

It's a very interesting concept - I think the centre of lift must be slightly aft or just over the mass of the engine.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Excellent find, Lampyridae!!!

I don't find anything about the German plane in question actually taking to flight... do you have any info on that?

Regarding the comment about the Bird of Prey/Harier and American aerospace not doing anything original....
There is no doubt but that Germany's contribution to aerospace was significant and continues to affect R&D in that area even today.

But just out of curiousity, is there a German precursor to say... the SR-71?...
(the Saenger spaceplane concept not withstanding)...

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Excellent find, Lampyridae!!!

I don't find anything about the German plane in question actually taking to flight... do you have any info on that?

Regarding the comment about the Bird of Prey/Harier and American aerospace not doing anything original....
There is no doubt but that Germany's contribution to aerospace was significant and continues to affect R&D in that area even today.

But just out of curiousity, is there a German precursor to say... the SR-71?...
(the Saenger spaceplane concept not withstanding)...

Not sure about the SR, but my favorite German precursor has to be the resemblence between the Horton Brother's Flying wing and the current US B-2 bomber.

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Yes the Bird of Prey was an interesting concept, but I still don't have the answer to the orignal question.

Is it the Icon for Aircraft Projects?

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Star Eagle

Yes the Bird of Prey was an interesting concept, but I still don't have the answer to the orignal question.

Is it the Icon for Aircraft Projects?

Could you rephrase that question? I'm not sure I understand what info or opinion you are fishing for...

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
On the Forum Page under Scientific Topics there is the three catagories with the Aircraft Projects in the middle.

The Icon to the left is what I'm curious about.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I liked how the plane looked very much!

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
yes, the icon,
is the bird of prey - or something very much like it.

oh - I saw one, or a model/prototype of one yesterday

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thank you I was just curious it does look alot like the BoP from Boeing.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What don't you know intel?

top topics

join