It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush team supporting banned imports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is a great article, apparently the official bush campaign wear is being made in Burma. Yeah the very country Bush banned products from last year.

I think it is funny, I think it shows how we don't have much of a handle on export restrictions which to me will throw a kink into any plans that could be made to stop the importing of materials from outlaw regimes.

Anyway decent read, worth a minute I think. Gee I wonder if Kerry's people are all trying to look at the tags on their shirts right now.

www.newsday.com...

[Edited on 3/19/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I beleive the Outsourcing of jobs by the Bush Administration has already been posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry. But great link though.

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Spalding, which works exclusively with Republican candidates at both local and national levels, tries to order American-made products, Jackson said. "Our first effort is always to source things from the U.S., but not a lot of garments are made in the U.S. Friday," he said. He said all embroidery is done in the United States.

The Bush-Cheney fleece pullovers were imported to the United States by Denver-based Colorado Trading & Clothing. President Jeff Schmitt said Thursday the pullovers were included in one of the last shipments brought in from Burma last year before Sept. 1, when the import ban went into effect. "It's a terrible irony" that the Burmese jacket landed at Newsday, he said.

So of course the bush admin, should have gone all the way the supply chain's rectum to the back of thier throat and looked at the little tags to make sure that the company had no ties to a little known ban?

i personally would rather he focused on something other then where the company he hired to do his campaign clothing get's thier wares from.

here in is the liberal mindset.

Pick the absolute stupidest little nitpicking thing you can and latch onto it.

I am stupider for reading this.
I award the people that make this an issue no points, and may god have mercy on thier souls.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you are going to use an outside vendor you are responsible for researching and ensuring the products you bring in are legal. Saying it is a non issue is not really true, there is something to be said for preaching a certain policy then violating it yourself. No GWB is not the one who needed to check but someone in his group should have. In business as in politics if you lead, you lead from top to bottom and are accountable for the good and bad done by those you lead. It was similar to the situation when certain celebreties find out their products are produced in low wage factories overseas and then they must make ammends for not keeping their eye on the ball.

You can focus on what you want but this was a media report that I felt was worth showing. If you don't feel that then please move on and read something else. I certainly don't want to be held responsible for making you any "stupider". Especially after reading the last line posted.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here's another article about it;

THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
daily.misleader.org...

BUSH MARKETS BURMESE PRODUCTS; EVADES OWN TRADE BAN

According to a new report, President Bush's official campaign is selling
clothing made in Burma - a country whose goods Bush banned for sale in the
U.S. because of their awful human rights, narcotics and sex trafficking record. According to Newsday, "the merchandise sold on www.georgewbushstore.com includes a $49.95 fleece pullover, embroidered with
the Bush-Cheney '04 logo and bearing a label stating it was made in Burma,
now Myanmar." (1)

The decision by the president's campaign to defy its own embargo directly
contradicts the president's pledge to enforce existing trade laws. Just this
week the president said Americans need to be "treated fairly" and pledged to
"make sure the playing field is level" on trade. (2) But his decision to
market Burmese textile products evades laws that prevent American workers
from having to compete with Burmese workers who have no minimum wage, human rights or labor protections. Since Bush was elected, thousands of textile
jobs have been lost -- particularly in the South - and many have questioned
whether the Administration is adequately enforcing trade laws. (3)

On top of evading his own trade laws, the president's effective endorsement of Burmese goods means his campaign is marketing products from a country the
State Department has repeatedly condemned for human rights abuses (4) and that the Treasury Department has cited for laundering money from illegal
narcotics dealers (5). Just last year, the president told the United Nations it needed to more seriously address international sex slavery, saying, "there's a special evil in the abuse and exploitation of the most
innocent and vulnerable." (6) But his own campaign is now marketing products
from a country that experts cite as one of the leaders in international sex
trafficking. (7)

Sources:
1. "Bush campaign gear made in Burma", Newsday, 03/18/2004,
daily.misleader.org....
2. "President Discusses Health Access", 03/16/2004,
daily.misleader.org....
3. "4,000 textile jobs lost in 2003", Charleston Post and Courier,
01/14/2004, daily.misleader.org....
4. Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: Burma, US Department of State,
02/25/2004, daily.misleader.org....
5. States News Service, 03/04/2004.
6. "President Bush Addresses United Nations General Assembly", 09/23/2003,
daily.misleader.org....
7. "Factbook on Global Sexual Exploitation: Burma/Myanmar",
daily.misleader.org....

Visit Misleader.org for more about Bush Administration distortion. -->
daily.misleader.org...

This doesn't suprize me at all. I just want to know. If the place is now known as Myanmar, why does everyone still call it Burma?

[Edited on 3/19/04 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Just like Kathy Lee Gifford didn't know, the bush administration has messed up again. Gosh, when will the American Public wake up?

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Those wrokers are over payed!! LOL I am buying 2 dozen of all the Burmese stuff and reselling them to Liberals on Ebay for twice as much!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
I just want to know. If the place is now known as Myanmar, why does everyone still call it Burma?

Because the leaders of the military coup changed the name from Burma to Myanmar. People would rather live in denial than face the facts that the name has been changed under ill-begotten political circumstances. I'll give you another example:

For a while there the US government officially recognized Taiwan as "China," even though the name changed from Formosa (a part of China) to Taiwan (its own country). Formosa was a holdout area against the soc's and became its own nation, calling themselves Taiwan while mainland China remained the sole proprietor of the name "China." Get it? So every time the government mentioned China, they actually meant Taiwan; and every time someone says Burma, they mean Myanmar.

[Edited on 3-30-2004 by insite]

new topics

top topics

join