It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas truant students to be tracked by GPS anklets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Court authorities here will be able to track students with a history of skipping school under a new program requiring them to wear ankle bracelets with Global Positioning System monitoring.

"We're all for keeping kids in school, and we applaud any efforts to make that happen," Burke said. "But the privacy issue: What happens with the bracelet or anklet after school is out? Is that appropriate for the school or courts to know where and what this person is doing outside of school?"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Is this just conditioning us into thinking that GPS tracking our children is a good idea. They will grow up thinking this is normal, and obviously it will be even worse for their own kids.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
divide and conquer...big bro is watching and tracking.

School is a huge waste of time and I don't blame kids for finding better ways to spend their time.
It would be different if this wasn't 2008...the age of information. Back in the age of industry, the standard advice still drummed into the heads of the masses today to go to school, get good grades, graduate, go to college, get a good safe job, retire, were great methods to earn some money to live comfortably and not live in poverty.

Today, Im pretty sure most truant kids see that, but they don't see any other options. They buy into consumerism and become blind to the possibilities of life. They see drug trafficking and crime as ways to ''come up'' and are simply trying to survive.

I think all of texas students should just be truant every day. All students, just to show that they won't put up with it.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Is this just conditioning us into thinking that GPS tracking our children is a good idea. They will grow up thinking this is normal, and obviously it will be even worse for their own kids.

Conversely, if they do nothing to the kids who are not going to school, they will grow up thinking it's normal not to get an education, and obviously it will be even worse for their own kids. I doubt the kids who are ditching school are doing anything worth while except sleeping, socializing, or smoking weed anyway.

School after middle school is probably a waste of time anyway, unless you want to continue your education for college, do research at a university and help development new technologies for the betterment of mankind and exploration. Usually the only people who do fairly well in high school are the ones who plan on going to college and really want to learn. The others are happy doing construction and manual labor so they leave class to smoke dope and make fun of the teachers. Sure, some become very successful, but they are on the far right end of the bell curve.

Even after that, almost all intro college courses are very similar to high school courses, just faster paced and more in depth. If you can't keep up, you probably didn't pay attention in high school - or just didn't go; and then you have to drop out and go dig ditches. High school has nothing to do with the menial labor workforce, you can always get an apprenticeship to be a welder, electrician, mechanic, drug dealer, rapist, inmate, etc.. or maybe take some vocational courses in a 2 year college.

High school is a training ground for young people to set goals and milestones for their future academic life or just generally in their lives. The other aspect of it is education, but that really only applies to college. It's the ones who wish to go to college who take the upper level courses, dual enroll in a community college, create clubs, become leaders, etc...

The ones who don't want any part of it, or society.. you know, the ones who will end up in gangs, on welfare, robbing liqueur stores, mugging people, holding up people at ATMS... they just get anklets.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

The ones who don't want any part of it, or society.. you know, the ones who will end up in gangs, on welfare, robbing liqueur stores, mugging people, holding up people at ATMS... they just get anklets.

First they came for the uneducated, and you didn't speak up.

Then they came for the criminals, and you didn't speak up.

Then they came for those on welfare, and you didn't speak up.

Then they came for you, and there was no one left to get angry at you being tagged like a common criminal or animal.

Hope you wake up soon friend and realise we are all in this together, educated, uneducated, rich, poor, white black or yellow, it doesn't matter. The elite want to oppress us all.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

You put it very well. First they will attack the ones that "deserve" it, so there will be little resistance, then it will be anyone who is left.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

If they would have done this in the 70's I would have graduated school. I think it is an excellent idea.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

The question is why they are doing it. To force people to complete their education or to get people used to something more sinister in the future.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be something the parents have to agree to? Same as with the drug testing in certain schools. It should always be the parents choice. But if it is mandatory and if you don't comply you have to go to school elsewhere, only then will I see it as a way to ease us into being tracked. I don't agree with it at all though.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosis111

Shouldn't this be something the parents have to agree to? Same as with the drug testing in certain schools. It should always be the parents choice. But if it is mandatory and if you don't comply you have to go to school elsewhere, only then will I see it as a way to ease us into being tracked. I don't agree with it at all though.

It should, but it never has been. They arrest parents if their children skip school enough, remember?

Parents don't decide the curriculum. Parents don't decide which teachers are good teachers and which teachers are bad. Parents don't decide anything... and the PTA? That's a pile of bull#. My mother was on the PTA for less than a year, and she saw that real opinions were not being listened to. It was like favoritism... whichever parents were the most affluent, seemed to get the most feedback.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Court authorities here will be able to track students with a history of skipping school under a new program requiring them to wear ankle bracelets with Global Positioning System monitoring.

"We're all for keeping kids in school, and we applaud any efforts to make that happen," Burke said. "But the privacy issue: What happens with the bracelet or anklet after school is out? Is that appropriate for the school or courts to know where and what this person is doing outside of school?"

I think it's a brilliant idea! If these kids haven't shown responsibility on their own, then the GPS should make them do it. They're going to have to learn one way or the other.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch

Originally posted by gnosis111

It should, but it never has been. They arrest parents if their children skip school enough, remember?

Parents don't decide the curriculum. Parents don't decide which teachers are good teachers and which teachers are bad. Parents don't decide anything... and the PTA? That's a pile of bull#. My mother was on the PTA for less than a year, and she saw that real opinions were not being listened to. It was like favoritism... whichever parents were the most affluent, seemed to get the most feedback.

PTA... do you know how many parents showed up to the PTA last time I went to one? six! in a school with a population of 1,000. Shameful for those parents.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ccgg77
I think it's a brilliant idea! If these kids haven't shown responsibility on their own, then the GPS should make them do it. They're going to have to learn one way or the other.

I think what people are concerned about is that if people reject the NWO, then GPS type technology will make us do it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

Then they came for the criminals, and you didn't speak up.

Yeah, you better hope they don't come for the criminals. As soon as they start going for the murderers, child molesters, rapists, and pedophiles who deserve it, what's next? It's just one giant slippery slope. The next thing you know picking your nose will give you life in prison.

LOL, you people are frigging nuts.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   

This country is a lost cause ! Everyday it becomes more and more of a fascist police state !

This has more to do with conditioning the minds of our children to become complient with big brother and accept being treated like criminals !

I'll be damned if i let them put a friggin ankle braclet on my kid ! That is something that is for criminals not kids skipping school !

Get ready for the chips, they're coming, and now they're trying to condition our children to accept them with no resistance !

BTW Op i tried to follow the link to read the full article, but i couldn't find the link. Maybe you forgot to post it, if so can you please post it so i can read the full article.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

why not add to the existing topic?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

join