It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand Canyon's Tunnel to The Underworld

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
A couple summers ago I was reading an article in "outside" magazine about hiking into the grand canyon, and about visiting the "sipapu". This is basically a hole that can be found in the grand canyon by certain people (most of whom are afraid to go there), that supposedly leads to the underworld...a legend of Indians. Not all believe that this "sipapu" or place of emergence is in the grand canyon, but many do, and many also claim to have seen it and know how to get there.

One explanation comes from a Hopi story about the "sipapu' - a gateway through which the souls of people come out of the underworld and eventually return to it. The legend goes that the souls of all humans were shut up in the Earth until the animals, learning of the imprisonment, began digging. First Coyote and finally a badger dug a cavelike hole deep enough to release the souls. When the Earth is done with them, the souls must return through the archlike gateway, leading to speculation that natural bridges may represent to American Indians the doorway between life and death.

In the article it told of many misfortunes that happened on their quest to see the sipapu, and they concluded that they were cursed because of it, so turned around. I think it would be interesting to go see this place...but if there really were an entrance to the "underworld" in the grand canyon, would you go see it? And do you think such a place could exist?

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well if it existed I would go even if it meant I would be cursed, you only live once.
Interesting find buddy.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
first off, nice find

i don't think it would exist though. i mean, the romans and greeks thought that to pass from the mediteranean to the atlantic was to enter the underworld, but last time i checked it wasn't. it's just an ancient myth i would think.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
"underworld" in the grand canyon, would you go see it? And do you think such a place could exist?
[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Shoktek]
If I had the chance to even see it, I would definitely go. All these myths related by the Hopi peoples, I imagine, have some basis to them.

I think that such a place could exist, considering how large and ancient the Grand Canyon is. Until it is disproven that there is not a gateway for our souls there, I assume it mythically exists.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Sounds interesting but also sounds eerily similiar to another story I read or heard about. A story about underground caverns in the American southwest that had remains of strange humanoid creatures not exactly like us. The people who supposedly found these cave entrances suddenly appeared to become cursed when they disappeared or had terrible accidents as if a secret government was "cursing them".

I also read that these natural entrances were supposedly all covered up now or buried by the secret government. You think these two stories are about the same thing but just a different cover story?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
nice find.
very interesting..

If the discovery channel does a documentry on the hole to the underworld, I might believe that, but I would never go there in person...

(im a coward)

CATFISH

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I heard alot about this when I was working at the Grand Canyon. I never bothered to search for it though. There is also a story about there being egyptian like ruins in a cave there too.

excerpt from Archeological Coverups by David Hatcher Childress

Perhaps the most amazing suppression of all is the excavation of an Egyptian tomb by the Smithsonian itself in Arizona. A lengthy front page story of the PHOENIX GAZETTE on 5 April 1909 (follows this article), gave a highly detailed report of the discovery and excavation of a rock-cut vault by an expedition led by a Professor S.A. Jordan of the Smithsonian. The Smithsonian, however, claims to have absolutely no knowledge of the discovery or its discoverers.

The World Explorers Club decided to check on this story by calling the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., though we felt there was little chance of getting any real information. After speaking briefly to an operator, we were transferred to a Smithsonian staff archaeologist, and a woman's voice came on the phone and identified herself.

I told her that I was investigating a story from a 1909 Phoenix newspaper article about the Smithsonian Institution's having excavated rock-cut vaults in the Grand Canyon where Egyptian artefacts had been discovered, and whether the Smithsonian Institution could give me any more information on the subject.

"Well, the first thing I can tell you, before we go any further," she said, "is that no Egyptian artefacts of any kind have ever been found in North or South America. Therefore, I can tell you that the Smithsonian Institute has never been involved in any such excavations." She was quite helpful and polite but, in the end, knew nothing. Neither she nor anyone else with whom I spoke could find any record of the discovery or either G.E. Kinkaid and Professor S.A. Jordan. While it cannot be discounted that the entire story is an elaborate newspaper hoax, the fact that it was on the front page, named the prestigious Smithsonian Institution, and gave a highly detailed story that went on for several pages, lends a great deal to its credibility. It is hard to believe such a story could have come out of thin air. Is the Smithsonian Institution covering up an archaeological discovery of immense importance? If this story is true it would radically change the current view that there was no transoceanic contact in pre-Columbian times, and that all American Indians, on both continents, are descended from Ice Age explorers who came across the Bering Strait.

Here's the rest

I don't know if this stuff is true. If it is, it would be quite a find.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I found a little bit more on lycos...

This is an actual photo of the "original" sipapu in the grand canyon, according to the website (MSU.edu):

"The Hopi believe this is the original sipapu, the hole through which the race was born. For the Hopi, it is the holiest spot on earth. According to Hopi legend, the first people were created in a dark cave far below the surface of the earth. They climbed up through two more caves along with the coyote, locust, spider, and other creatures until they reached the earth's surface. This is the Fourth World, the world we all live in today."

It seems that the Hopi also dig their own "sipapus" in their villages for ceremonial type purposes...such as this one:

Another photo of grand canyon sipapu:

Site with more Hopi Folklore, and Second Picture Source

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Good article
, from what I've already read about exploring "strange caves" in the American southwest, it can be extremely hazardous to your health. I believe some of those curses might be manmade especially after rereading the article above about the "caves" and surrounding area in the grand canyon being off-limits to all. I would stay away but it does make me very curious.

ET3

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
From a discussion with a retired Smithsonian scientist and after seeing a couple pictures that I was shown, and her own admittance, they lie and cover up one hell of a lot of stuff. One photo was of a human femur bone that was over twenty feet long. She was in the picture along with a couple other scientists.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The Smithsonian Institute went on a crusade tracking down all mounds and confiscating all artifacts, I think that was were most of the giant human bones were found. Makes one wonder about the Mimi Mounds in Washington State or all the mounds in western Canada.
I also wonder who owns the Smithsonian Institute?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Anybody up for a field trip?

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yes, Yes, count me in on the field trip, don't forget your shovel. Might be awhile so better pack for several days. Which site did you have in mind to look at first, the mima mounds or the grand canyon tunnels?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FieryIce1
I also wonder who owns the Smithsonian Institute?

"Congress vests responsibility for administering the Institution in the Board of Regents." si.edu/about

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I hope no one thinks I'm being an ass here. I just have to wonder who's responsible for all the cover ups and inadequacies. The Sipapu, the 20 foot human femur, the thunderbird, chains found in gold, spark plugs in geodes.

I've been chasing this stuff for a very long time, but have finally come to wonder why none of it ever has a n explanation, or is the object of a government cover up.

I am open to reasonable discussion and would love to be swayed. I am just curious.

Thanks,
Dan

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
ive been meaning to explore the region for a long time now. if there is a field trip that is to be organized, count me in. I am sure that I can be of significant value based on my knowledge of the situation as well as my diplomatic personality (in case we do encounter a race or band of ch'itaouri)

[Edited on 3/12/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Sure, if there is a trip, count me in and let me know if anything progresses further on the subject, Id like to find out more about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I doubt the femur was 20ft. long. Four feet yes (since I've seen pictures of femurs this long), but 20? Thats outrageous.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
ha, ok, so who's organizing this field trip??

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I wish I was in that region to join in on any expedition into the caves, but I'm not. I'm definitely in support of investigations of these claims however.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join