It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Computer Made from DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Computer Made from DNA

Israeli scientists have devised a computer that can perform 330 trillion operations per second, more than 100,000 times the speed of the fastest PC. The secret: It runs on DNA.

In terms of speed and size, however, DNA computers surpass conventional computers. While scientists say silicon chips cannot be scaled down much further, the DNA molecule found in the nucleus of all cells can hold more information in a cubic centimeter than a trillion music CDs. A spoonful of Shapiro's "computer soup" contains 15,000 trillion computers. And its energy-efficiency is more than a million times that of a PC.
Perhaps most importantly, DNA computing devices could revolutionize the pharmaceutical and biomedical fields. Some scientists predict a future where our bodies are patrolled by tiny DNA computers that monitor our well-being and release the right drugs to repair damaged or unhealthy tissue.

Sounds like one more step towards combining humans and machines. Hey, maybe we could use the DNA to control all of mankind. I�m sure no one thought of that yet. Can you imagine a living computer sitting on your desk? I wonder if we would need to plug it in or simply feed it?

This is How DNA Computers Will Work

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by kinglizard]

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sounds cool...

Are they going to still be desktop PC's?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Looks like we are not only improving in the field of Fighter Jet improvement, but also in medical.

Great Find. *applauds*

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
If this is true this is absolutly crazy!!!!

amazing!!!!

wow.......!!!!!

later,

Reason

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
THis is scary. It getting close to bluring the lines from natural life and synthetic life. This is a truly great dicovery if the negative effects wouldnt be soo bad just another step towards the end times.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
so how long until it can be sold to the public as a simple a PC?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
so how long until it can be sold to the public as a simple a PC?

I don�t know but it�s been proven to work. Considering the increasing pace of technology and it�s advancements it probably won�t be as long as you might think. First it will be developed and used by the military complex, then slide into public use.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Don't think I would trust DNA programmed by microsoft!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Then we just merge the DNA computers with OLED computer screens.

The U.S. agency that financed the Internet is trying to speed the development of Flexible Organic Light Emitting Displays (FOLEDs). Universal Display Corp. (UDC) has secured a contract from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to develop OLED technology that bends and rolls to any shape. OLEDs are based on organic materials, some of them polymers, that emit light when a voltage passes through them.

Unlike flat panel displays traditionally built on a glass surface, FOLEDs are made on flexible substrates that range from transparent plastic to opaque metal foils. UDC is also developing a Transparent Organic Light Emitting Device (TOLED) that could be used as a display on windshields and cockpit windows. The combination of flexibility and transparency raises new possibilities for displays. In theory, a FOLED display could be mounted onto eyeglasses, an aircraft instrument panel, a face shield or a sleeve with Velcro. It could even be folded to fit into a pocket.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I read something similar to this when I waqs doing a nanotech research paper. I didn't know the technology would evolve this quickly, from what I previously read, this technology wasn't a possibility until 5+ years down the road... very cool though! Can't wait to play online games on that thing...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You know that a living computer is kind of bad too, because if a machine is inteligent it will understand that you have the command ober it. It will not want to serve you but want to be free. Then it will try to kill you and take power.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
You know that a living computer is kind of bad too, because if a machine is inteligent it will understand that you have the command ober it. It will not want to serve you but want to be free. Then it will try to kill you and take power.

U watch too much Sci-Fi movies.

Do you really think this is going to happen?
How long until you think it will happen?

I doubt it will happen. Why? Because one of those computers could easily crack the largest encrypted codes in no time.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

I doubt it will happen. Why? Because one of those computers could easily crack the largest encrypted codes in no time.

As technology evolves, so will software. I very much doubt people will be using windows XP on one of these machines. In all odds, there will be a completely different code architecture. They'll probably end up being an entirely new kind of hacker bred, but that's the name of the game. The same thing goes on with ECM/ECCM.

DE

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673

Wow...Ive seen some paranoid posts but this one takes the cake......Uh oh, I gotta go...the Matrix is back on.....I took the red pill BTW.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carrion
Don't think I would trust DNA programmed by microsoft!

Think of DNA as software, and enzymes as hardware. Put them together in a test tube. The way in which these molecules undergo chemical reactions with each other allows simple operations to be performed as a byproduct of the reactions. The scientists tell the devices what to do by controlling the composition of the DNA software molecules. It's a completely different approach to pushing electrons around a dry circuit in a conventional computer.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Wow, thats the most vague article i ever read.

I think this a reference to the fact that DNA would make a good medium for quantum computing. Currently the best candidates are polymer chains of DNA.

Don't worry folks, this is new tech in its early stages. Expecting to have to upgrade your desk top based on this would be like expecting to have a car cause the steam engine as just invented.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
Wow, thats the most vague article i ever read.

I think this a reference to the fact that DNA would make a good medium for quantum computing. Currently the best candidates are polymer chains of DNA.

Don't worry folks, this is new tech in its early stages. Expecting to have to upgrade your desk top based on this would be like expecting to have a car cause the steam engine as just invented.

I wouldn�t dismiss this advancement so easily. Just because you can�t go to your local electronics store and purchase this technology doesn�t make it any less important. Look at the invention of the vacuum tube for computer use in the 50�s. That�s like saying �it�s just a switch�. The computer has changed our lives more than any single modern invention. Now we have taken DNA the �blueprint of life� and created something more life changing and amazing than anything in history. Think of the advancement a computer that is more than 100,000 times the speed of the fastest PC. Everything in our lives will change. It will be developed for use in medicine, computers, robotics, artificial intelligence, nanotechnology to name a few. Anything is possible.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It does seem a little dangerous to merge computing and biological life... Imagine a machine 'organism' that evolves... but at the speed of computers... It would evolve right before our eyes into who knows what...

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
kinglizard

I've actualy had a chance to work on some of the tech...and yes, it will take time. Even though technology's rate of development is increasing, you still have to consider it took the modern computer from 1920 til 1980 to make it to a desktop, and 1990 to be affordable for the average person.

So far quantum computers require molcules held in a quantum uncertain state in very expensive machines.

Take for example clear aluminum. Back in the early 90s a man came up with a method for making aluminium turn clear when a low electric charge was applied to it, but it was very expensive and very delicate. But even being less costly and difficult that quantum proccessors, we still have glass windshields.

Calculon386
At that level, its more chemistry than biology. DNA is used just because it works well. The code and proccessing are all atill synthetic.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
kinglizard

Calculon386
At that level, its more chemistry than biology. DNA is used just because it works well. The code and proccessing are all atill synthetic.

That i do understand.. but it's one step closer to something as it happening...

I remember reading in Popular Sci. many years ago that they had developed a computer that used atoms instead of transistors... wonder what happened to that.. it was supposed to be the next 'thing'

new topics

top topics

join