It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists have 'solved' mystery of levitation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Physicists have 'solved' mystery of levitation

www.telegraph.co.uk

Levitation has been elevated from being pure science fiction to science fact, according to a study reported today by physicists.

In earlier work the same team of theoretical physicists showed that invisibility cloaks are feasible.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

More fantastic work from this team.

Is this the physics we are looking for in order to explain UFO's?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Man that is cool.
I hope they can levitate people. too cool

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
for anybody who has been reading boulderMD's post this is pretty crazy...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

HI, I have been following the BoulderMD thread with interest (it's like watching a multiple car crash in slow motion) and am wondering why you think this post is relevant to that one? Because of the predictions he won't reveal?
I cannot get into the link provided by the OP so could not read the full article - I do find it amazing that these sort of results are not getting the huge public interest that they deserve. Instead, the world is more concerned about the latest Idol.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I was just reminded about some bible verse I once read (when I used to read the bible), about the end of days "the world will worship false idols. And I think any normal musician looks at these instant stars as "false idols". lol Ok I know, this is off-topic, sorry.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I read the article and wow... They are talking about using this to flow light around objects making them invisible... That is some really cool stuff...! Awesome find!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

this discovery is relevant because on of the things that the ptient told him was to watch for a discovery in the field of physics and this is a pretty big discovery

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Ah yes, thats right! Could be really relevant ... I would class this as a major physics discovery. I really hope he comes out of the shadows next week with more information.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Err I hate to be the bringer of realism, but I will be more excited when they actually have more than theoretical mathematics. I'm not sure why they chose ot use a picture of a magnetic toy to illustrate their story.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So this is for real? Jeez.. its about freak'n time, now where's my Damn hover bike?

I wonder if this is realy what the ER Doc was talking about? If it is I dont understand why he would of kept that a secret its not like its bad news or anything. Anyway I hope they use this new discovery for good and not for some new military weapon. On second thought they probably already knew about this.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
silentshadow what an awesome find good work starred and flagged
i think that i will put my name first on the list for a hover dirt bike so i can do those back flips like the motocross kids are doing these days .
also please everyone dont ruin this thread too with the talk of the B.S. story about predictions . it was all a lie and silvershadow's find deserves more than that . this is a revolutionizing technology and he found the story for us so lets give him the respect .

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

"At the moment, in practice it is only going to be possible for micro-objects with the current technology, since this quantum force is small and acts only at short ranges. For now, human levitation remains the subject of cartoons, fairytales and tales of the paranormal," explained Professor Leonhardt.

St. Andrews link

Newspapers are always so grandiose, and as Shere so accurately explained. The picture is of a toy... not directly related to the article.

Youtube link to toy

[edit on 5/6/08 by flice]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
"For now, human levitation remains the subject of cartoons, fairytales and tales of the paranormal," explained Professor Leonhardt.

Is it realy? Im sure there's this crazy Guru Monk somewhere out there that can levetate... no?

[edit on 5-6-2008 by The_Crimson_King]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Crimson_King

Well, if you have to ask then who knows?
The point I was making is this discovery shouldn't be painted like we're all gonna ride in hover cars next year, and that is probably what the professor meant too.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I've read and researched the casimir force in the past but this is astounding..

I wonder if this discovery and more to come will eventually vindicate the hutchison effect which also has purportedly caused levitation in a lab setting.

But what is more interesting to me is how this discovery is related to discoveries in quantum field theory and zero point energy.

When you start reading about this on the net, it is apparent that this could be of huge technological significance for many reasons. Industrial applications, machinery, nanotechnology, but possibly even propulsion...

Since zero point energy is infinite in the quantum vacuum, it could make an electromagnetic field infinitely massive with very little effort (because E=MC^2). This means you could create an artificial singularity that could be used to either create wormholes or "pull" a spacecraft at close to the speed of light or beyond (especially since we are talking about black-hole physics here). This is of scientific and technological importance for so many reasons.

-ChriS

[edit on 6-6-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
All of these far out things that are theorhetical but not practical usually stay as theories

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
this discovery is relevant because on of the things that the ptient told him was to watch for a discovery in the field of physics and this is a pretty big discovery

Ummm, for everyone who is excited that this article validates BoulderMD :

Check the publication date.

It can't be his prediction since it came out on 07/08/2007

[edit on 6/6/2008 by eaglewingz]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join