It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Uncooked] Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   

[Uncooked] Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states

news.yahoo.com

At least 17 people in Texas and New Mexico have been hospitalized. None have died, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Another 30 people have become sick with the same Salmonella Saintpaul infection in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Illinois and Indiana. CDC investigators are looking into whether tomatoes were culprits there, too.

In Texas and New Mexico, raw large tomatoes — including Roma and red round tomatoes — were found to be a common factor in the 40 illnesses. But no farm, distributor or grocery chain has been identified as the main source, said Casey Barton Behravesh, a CDC epidemiologist working on the investigation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Well... another thing to add to the list of things that can kill us. Make sure you all cook your tomatoes, especially the ATS'ers whom live in those areas.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I know no one wants to say it, but this is what happens when you have illiterate slaves who don't wash their hands after using the washroom and have not had a health screening before entering the country picking, packaging, handling, and preparing fruits and vegetables. Talk about bioterrorism! Sad to say, the US is on the list of countries I don't eat food products from, along with China.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

I agree with your sentiment sc2099, but sometimes sentiment can obfuscate facts. As we saw with the recent (2006) ecoli spinach disaster, it was farm runoff and treated sewage (used as irrigation....YUCK!) that were the likely culprits, and not poopy-handed workers. More here

These folks do earn slave wages. Farm work is hard work. But since bling and edifice hold our attention longer than food does (for now), we pay the folks who feed us squat.

Not trying to derail. Carry on, Gram.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

I think it's a bit far fetched to categorize people as you have in this regard.
Plenty of "citizens" do it too I am sure.

How is this limited to a one people ?

But wow, tomatoes ? really ? I have never heard of this nor thought a tomato could make someone ill. I eat raw tomatoes all the time but I throughly wash them before doing so.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
reply to post by sc2099

I think it's a bit far fetched to categorize people as you have in this regard.
Plenty of "citizens" do it too I am sure.

How is this limited to a one people ?

But wow, tomatoes ? really ? I have never heard of this nor thought a tomato could make someone ill. I eat raw tomatoes all the time but I throughly wash them before doing so.

I'm not categorizing people, I'm categorizing people's hygiene practices. Sure, lots of people don't wash their hands after, but if they work in an office, it only affects their nasty keyboard. The people picking produce to be introduced into the food supply need to be held to a much higher standard of hygiene, especially when in the countries they're from toilet paper is thrown in the trash rather than flushed and they are unable to read the signs stating that they must wash their hands before returning to work.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gramafaloon
reply to post by sc2099

I agree with your sentiment sc2099, but sometimes sentiment can obfuscate facts. As we saw with the recent (2006) ecoli spinach disaster, it was farm runoff and treated sewage (used as irrigation....YUCK!) that were the likely culprits, and not poopy-handed workers.

Haha while that is true in that particular instance, it never makes the news when just one person gets food poisoning in a restaurant. Why should it, it's just one person. But it would defy logic to pretend that poopy-handed workers never make anyone sick.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Looks like it's a good thing I hate tomatoes so much. I'll eat them on a burger or in a sandwich which I think might be another area we aren't thinking about in terms of consuming raw tomatoes. It's like drinking the water in Mexico, you have to make sure you don't even use Mexican ice cubes or you'll be spending the rest of the week on the toilet.

I think the fact that things have become so industrialized that even vegans consume mass produced foods is whats at fault here. We need to start eating like normal humans and stop expecting to have every fruit and vegetable all year around. I think we should also make it apparent that fruit and vegetables need to be cleaned thoroughly before being consumed. I feel that people think fruit and vegetables are natural so it's ok to eat them raw but even "Organic" fruits and veggies are covered in manure and fertilizer.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Silent Shadow, thanks alot!! Your signature made me smack my computer screen. I was reading, saw movement, thought bug, and WHACK!! Then I realized I just tried to kill a GIF Animation. Now I'm laughing out loud at myself, and my neighbors probably think I'm insane. Thanks. Thanks alot!

top topics

join