It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, What Hope, What Change?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
OK, ever since the beginnings of this maddening election cycle, I have heard Obama and his minions go on and on about Hope and Change. That is all well and good except.....

I have not heard ONE SPECIFIC THING he intends on changing, or ONE SPECIFIC THING I am suppose to have hope for in voting for him.

He has so far been the typical politician in skirting issues, vague half promises and political rhetoric. Now I don't mind this as he is a politician after all, but I have observed a trend in his supporters in stating that "Only Obama can bring change" or "Only Obama gives us hope"...

So, anyone know what change he is referring to or what we can hope for?

And PLEASE I am asking for specifics not more rhetoric or vague references. We have really had enough of those.

I do like the fact that so far, Obama has run a comparatively "clean" campaign.

Semper

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
ONE SPECIFIC THING I am suppose to have hope for in voting for him.

oooooh .. oooooooh .. I know! I know! I've got one for ya'!!

Read here .. you can hope for ping-pong tourneys, paid for with US tax payer money.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You can hope that the government will keep you from eating too much, keep you from setting your thermostat too high or too low (depending on whether you live in the desert or tundra of course), and keep you from foolishly driving an SUV when it's obvious you should be driving a Prius.

The change you will get, whether you were seeking it or not, is a change in your lifestyle. You will have less personal freedom. You will finally become a "good" citizen of the world community.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I like Ping Pong, just not sure I want the government to pay for it...

Wonder if I can get Obama to pick up my Racketball dues next month?

Semper

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by FlyersFan

I like Ping Pong, just not sure I want the government to pay for it...

Wonder if I can get Obama to pick up my Racketball dues next month?

Semper

If you walk or ride your bicycle to play racquetball, you can probably apply for a carbon credit which you can apply to your dues at the club. Of course if you exhale too much while playing, you won't be given credit.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't think we are allowed to talk about this Semper.

After all, we might be labeled as racists for questioning his slogans.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
All of this, from his official website www.barackobama.com...

On Energy (and this is just one of the plans he has with regards to energy): Cap and Trade -- Obama supports implementation of a market-based cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions by the amount scientists say is necessary: 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. Obama's cap-and-trade system will require all pollution credits to be auctioned. A 100 percent auction ensures that all polluters pay for every ton of emissions they release, rather than giving these emission rights away to coal and oil companies. Some of the revenue generated by auctioning allowances will be used to support the development of clean energy, to invest in energy efficiency improvements, and to address transition costs, including helping American workers affected by this economic transition.

Seems rather clear cut to me, unlike most politicians' ideas about "change". You also must remember changing the way governemtn is run isn't only up to the president. It's also up to Congress and us, the voters, for something to actually happen.

Without going into a posting frenzy of all the things he has hope for, and wants to actually change, check his official website, right here:
www.barackobama.com...

Everyone always acts like the only time we vote is every four years. Go to a city council meeting, a town hall, ANYTHING, and actually use your right to vote on something not so trivial as who is the new figurehead. Why leave change up to one person when we're all supposed to be responsible? This is part of the change that Obama talks about constantly.

I know it must be difficult, putting political rhetoric aside and looking beyond the media to enforce your obviously strong opinions & convictions. Perhaps if someone let him talk about something other than lapel pins and Rev. Wright, people might open their eyes.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by akabetty
Perhaps if someone let him talk about something other than lapel pins and Rev. Wright, people might open their eyes.

Hmm...

It seems to me that he has had the last year and a half and more before any of these stories even broke to "open peoples eyes".

It also occurs to me that for the last year and more he has raised countless sums of money and garnered millions of votes from people who knew nothing more of him than he was "young, fresh, and new".

I think Obama has received more than his fair share of "free passes" since declaring his candidacy for President.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes, and before those two stories broke, all they discussed were how inexperienced he was (the media used to be very Pro-Hillary, in case you missed that). Personally, I'd rather have a figurehead who isn't so absorbed into the system like salt in the ocean. Before the lapel pin, it was his hand not on his heart during the national anthem. There's always something, so why not focus on that?

And, as far as free passes, what falls into that category? One must remember that these are only the primaries. Sadly, the Dems have 2 months to unleash a campaign that will overturn the 8 month headstart McCain has had. Maybe he's saving his detailed plans and issue dicussions for when he's an actual nominee. Maybe he doesn't want to jump the gun, as many will say, would seal his fate for a huge failure.

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of his supporters did jump on the bandwagon, and most have since informed themselves. I'll also be the first to admit that it doesn't matter why folks have donated money to his campaign. Not my or his decision, so you're going to fault him for that?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The problem, I foresee, is that for change you need cooporation between the parties. Obama is so far left and his ideas also, that he will never get concensus to pass any of his change. No matter how much hope you have. Obama also has no experience acheiving the grand tasks he proposes, or even small ones. Look at what the Democratic magority has done. Absolutly nothing. The reason is that a majority of polititions are so extreme to their side and not willing to bend. The rest are more centric and do not have the numbers to make a difference.

Lets recap: polorized public, polorized poloticians.... stalemate. It's too bad, we could accomplish anything if we worked together...noone seems to want that, just blame someone else.

Just my $0.02, but at least McCain has a proven record for bringing parties together and going against his own party when he feels it's the right thing to do. He has provided change. By the way, I do not like McCain, but he can proove his ability.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

In theory yes, but look at what the MSM is capable of! Ron Paul was effectively denied a run against McCain on the Republican side of things from the very start of the primary process! Granted, Paul has had 20% of the votes in some of the states, but no one reported that did they! Those same "journalists" have been bombarding Obama with this bs "time-filler" (ie- lapel pins, etc) that has hardly left him anytime to relay any of his true messages/ideas to the public.

If you really care to know what Obama plans to change, take some time, stop judging a book by its cover (courtesy of the MSM) and go to his website and do some reading. Educate yourself, it is not empty rhetoric, as is claimed! It may seem that way when you don't find any substance to back it up, but that is NOT Obamas' fault, it is out there for you to spend the effort and time to become familiar with, the MSM is not going to spoon feed you it with no effort on your part. It just doesn't work that way!

Or don't make any efforts and remain uninformed. That seems to be the American way of life now days... slowly leading us down a path to death and destruction. Funny part is, as lazy as people are, not willing to make any efforts that could inconvenience them NOW (like educate yourself and stay informed), is that, we are all going to be supremely inconvenienced later on when the situation is past the point of being unchangable because of the previous apathy of our people. Sad.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here's some of his thoughts on education that I find necessary

www.barackobama.com...

K-12

* Reform No Child Left Behind: Obama will reform NCLB, which starts by funding the law. Obama believes teachers should not be forced to spend the academic year preparing students to fill in bubbles on standardized tests. He will improve the assessments used to track student progress to measure readiness for college and the workplace and improve student learning in a timely, individualized manner. Obama will also improve NCLB's accountability system so that we are supporting schools that need improvement, rather than punishing them.
* Make Math and Science Education a National Priority: Obama will recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession and will support efforts to help these teachers learn from professionals in the field. He will also work to ensure that all children have access to a strong science curriculum at all grade levels.
* Address the Dropout Crisis: Obama will address the dropout crisis by passing his legislation to provide funding to school districts to invest in intervention strategies in middle school - strategies such as personal academic plans, teaching teams, parent involvement, mentoring, intensive reading and math instruction, and extended learning time.
* Expand High-Quality Afterschool Opportunities: Obama will double funding for the main federal support for afterschool programs, the 21st Century Learning Centers program, to serve one million more children.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Here's some of his thoughts on education

But he wants to kill big parts of the space program to pay for it all.

He claims it's 'just for five years', but the fact is that once you kill space programs you can't just start them up again. Not to mention the fact that our international business partners (in space matters) won't want to work with us again if we kill the programs.

The people he'd put out of work .. the lost scientific and technical knowledge ... the loss of international business partners ... etc etc ...

I don't see any 'hope' when you threaten to kill our space programs.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I heard a quote of Obama on the radio today that sounded like he said something about putting a stop to U.S. military R&D as well. I am not sure what he actually said, or if he was talking about the space program and not the military. I think it was in the context of arms control.

Anybody know what Obama said about this?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
he said something about putting a stop to U.S. military R&D as well.

Obama disarming America
Here ya' go. In his own words.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
FF,

regarding the space program...

If we continue down the road of ignoring our children and giving them sub-par education we'll be forced to outsource our space program anyway. There are many millions of brilliant minds who are completely lost because of our failing education system. Even more now that the NCLB act has essentially destroyed our public education system.

If we give up our children's education, we can forget about our nations space program anyway. Might as well as forget about our nation.

I might cut funding to our military instead of the space program because I am one hell of a space geek, but that's just me.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by jamie83
he said something about putting a stop to U.S. military R&D as well.

Obama disarming America
Here ya' go. In his own words.

Thanks FF.

Obama's agenda is truly disturbing. The more he speaks, the more I'm rooting for HRC to pull a miraculous comeback. Of course if HRC and BHO are on the same ticket, I think it would fulfill some sort of apocalyptic prophecy.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Right, with Hillary AND Bill's recent Kennedys' related to assassinations comments....some of us already see "some sort of apocalyptic prophecy " coming down the road. Why the heck are all you dissing Obama when he is laying his life down in front of the PTB for his "truly disturbing" agenda? Followed by "the more I'm rooting for HRC to pull a miraculous comeback". Not going to happen. People wake up, this is not a monarch ruled FREE state! Father/Son, Husband/Wife?, not a good idea! Many of us are forced to piss in a cup to work at McDonalds, but the president doesn't have to take an IQ test? What the heck is wrong with people? How can everyone not see how screwed up, mismanaged, fraudulent everything is? Can we not fix it....no we cannot. The vast majority don't know how close the end of existence really is, but then again a select few do. See ya on the otherside of this bs goround!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

But you can't fix the problem with education by just throwing money at it. Some of the largest and best funded school districts are also the worst. Within those same areas, there are private schools, which operate at a much lower budget with teachers getting paid considerably less, that provide a much better education than their public counterparts.

Public school teachers don't work for the interest of the students, they work for themselves and they lobby hard for that purpose. Will Obama change this?

The space program inspires people. An astronaut is one of a child's greatest heroes. It is hard to imagine a child that doesn't show awe at even the mere thought of spaceships and space travel.

All Obama is doing is funding the (non-performing) teacher unions at the expense of the space program. In my opinion, that is not positive change. Basically Obama wants to reward proven incompetence at the expense of proven progress.

Personally, I believe the space program is educational. Why would Obama want to cut a program that is providing knowledge and inspiring mankind to reach for the stars?

If Obama gets elected, I seriously hope those rumors of a black budget space program are true.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

All Obama is doing is funding the (non-performing) teacher unions at the expense of the space program. In my opinion, that is not positive change. Basically Obama wants to reward proven incompetence at the expense of proven progress.

Very well put, but seriously, what else would you expect from Obama?

What you described is the essence of Marxism. Obama is nothing more than a clever Marxist who's found a way to repackage his Marxist philosophy so people cheer for their own future enslavement.

This parallels Obama's quote about how he learned to hide his angry-black-man image because he knew he'd get further if he were perceived as non-threatening. Notice that Obama didn't say he quit being an angry black man, he simply said he kept people from perceiving him as such.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join