It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUY JESUS NOW!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
msnbc.msn.com...

The Jesus "Nail Sale" was only the beginning.....take a look at the other things they are selling for "Jesus"

"The Passion of the Christ" T-shirt. It says, �His Passion is for you.� Retail price: $14.99

"The Passion of the Christ" book. This official companion to the film, and includes still photographs from the movie. Some of the photos may be graphic. Coffee table edition, retail price: $24.99

Music CD. John Debney (who also composed the soundtracks for "Bruce Almighty" and "Elf") composed the score to accompany Mel Gibson�s visuals. Retail price: $17.99

Witness cards. Set of collectible cards with quotes from the bible, as well as other information.

Nail pendant. The pendant is shaped like a nail, and comes with a leather strap. Inscribed on the side is Isaiah 53:4 �He was pierced to save our lives.� It's the product that has by far received the most publicity and criticism. Retail price: $12.99

true, most movies make t-shirts....FOR THE MOVIE THEATER EMPLOYEES! i have never in my life seen someone with a Gigli shirt...have you?!?!?

and heres another quote from the article i find interesting about just how weird the crucifix is! ha! im not crazy!

�If you think about it, the crucifix is a brutal symbol,� she says. �We�ve gotten so used to it that it�s a benign symbol. But it�s not benign. It�s like if we wore little electric chairs around our necks now. Or little hypodermic needles, because that�s how we kill people now. It�s just that it�s a 2,000-year-old symbol, and we don�t think of it as something brutal.�

its true, seeing how crucifixion (i learned how to spell it!!!) was a simple execution method in the time period! ok, not simple, but AVERAGE..

whats with selling jesus? i was never ajesus freak to begin with, but the fact that you have to BUY "witness cards" saying that you love jesus is a complete hypocrisy of everything he's supposed to be.

and look at this:

�It�s not going to be the sort of thing that you look at and say, �Wow, we made a fortune.� It�s all about helping people find, grow and share their faith in Christ. "

YES IT IS!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL SAY, WOW ALOT OF PEOPLE MUST REALLY LOVE JESUS BECAUSE THEY BOUGHT ALL OF HIS CRAP!

because it costs $12.99 for faith, right?

[Edited on 2-29-04 by Scat]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It depends on how you look at it. Some people see crucifixes and nails as something bad. Others see it only as a constant reminder of what he did for us.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Indeed, well said. I wear a cross whenever I go out, and sometimes around the house. I don't see the crucifixion as a bad thing, it shows his sacrifice and love he had for us. Now, the whole nails thing, personally, I think is just kinda sick....but, like it was said, one person's trash is another's treasure.

-wD

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
what about people who have sacrificed in other ways?

all the other martyrs? why isnt anyone wearing stones or knives?

wait, they are

but not because of that! hahah

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

wait, they are

hahah!

and yeah, i think crosses and crusifixes ae good, other things may be a bit extreme. where do all the procedes from this go?

besides, at least the church hasn't gone back to selling indulgences again.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

wait, they are

Jesus wasn't just a martyr, he died willingly for the sins of mankind.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Before we all go crazy, does anyone know which company is selling these products?

I might be an outside company, and they might be giving the lisencing money to the Catholic church.

OR, the proceeds could also go there.

If that's the case, then I say cool.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
im not getting at this to be some scam to get money, i dont really care where they make a buck from. i do know that two books (the $25 one and another one going for only $5 are being sold via a catholic company, but the other stuff i do not know)

im saying that people believe that buying this crap will give them faith!

faith...money...they have nothing to do with each other!

at least they shouldnt....but they are beginning to, why is that?

[Edited on 2-29-04 by Scat]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
You can bet yer A*S*S* that Jesus would be kicked out of 99 percent of the churches he went into for inappropriate dress!!! I have been kicked out for wearing dirty work clothes, imagine if I had actually been dressed in a ragged Jesus dress.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The comparison of the cross to modern day execution instruments has been directly lifted from UK comedian Alexi Sayles' comedy act of 1988.
Not only does he explain that Christians are lucky that they have an eye pleasing symbol to hang around their necks, but the act of crossing themselves is far better than having to keep ducking, which was what they would have to do if Jesus got stoned to death.

As for the sale of memorabilia? Distasteful to say the least. Not only are the items tacky but the manner and the use of words by which it is sold, makes even the hardest agnostic want to puke.

If people are gullible enough to buy crap like this, then let them. There should be a warning placed in the advertisement that other people will laugh in any purchaser's face though.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
The comparison of the cross to modern day execution instruments has been directly lifted from UK comedian Alexi Sayles' comedy act of 1988.
Not only does he explain that Christians are lucky that they have an eye pleasing symbol to hang around their necks, but the act of crossing themselves is far better than having to keep ducking, which was what they would have to do if Jesus got stoned to death.

As for the sale of memorabilia? Distasteful to say the least. Not only are the items tacky but the manner and the use of words by which it is sold, makes even the hardest agnostic want to puke.

If people are gullible enough to buy crap like this, then let them. There should be a warning placed in the advertisement that other people will laugh in any purchaser's face though.

who is thecomedian? i wasnt even alive! hahahahahah...or at least, not alive yet in britain

and to the comment before this one ( i dont kn ow who said it) yeahive been kicke dout of church for "innapropriate dress" too, i had aon apolo shirt, and tennis shoes...but my jeans were covered in paint hahahah

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well, I have a few Star Wars shirts....

Merchandising and movies have gone way back... It's only because it's a religious movie, that it's getting any flack for it....

Did anyone complain about selling toy neuralizers for Men in Black? No...

Though, the marketer who donates a percentage to a Christian charity, now THAT would be the smart one....

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Jesus cat for sale........ Right here people....... Last one ever...... Get your one and only Jesus cat........ LMFAO

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I would just like to point out that the crucifix and the cross are two distinctly different symbols.
The crucifix represents the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us through his suffering and death on the cross. The cross represents a risen Christ, conquering death on the cross through resurrection. I personally wear a large wooden cross around my neck every day. Not to "convert" people, but to remind myself of what was done for me on the cross and was is to come through the victory over sin and death.

As for T-shirts and such, I agree with Gazrok... and who really cares? Is this is a problem for you, then don't buy them... it's that simple. Let there sin (if it is) be there's. Worry about the log in your own eye before pointing out other's specks in their eyes. Judgement is reserved for us to judge ourselves and God, not each other.

Peace & Love,

+Jammer

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
wait wait wait...how are the crucifix and the cross different?

different name...different meaning....arent both thesame thing?

somthing like this:

l
--------l---------
l
l
l
l
l
l
l

hahahha pretty nice graphic there huh?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

wait, they are

So if some guy says "I'm gonna go die for the sins of mankind" and then jumps off a cliff, is he not a martyr?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam

Originally posted by kinglizard

wait, they are

So if some guy says "I'm gonna go die for the sins of mankind" and then jumps off a cliff, is he not a martyr?

HAHAHHAHAHHA
this is great.

oh and my graphic didnt work out like i wanted it to...dangit!

isnt a martyr someone who dies for what they believe in? and wouldnt this always be willing, if it is death to aid the fight, martyrship would always be willing...i havent heard one biography that said "so and so was accidentaly a martyr"

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The cross and crucifix are the same thing -with minor differences, one has a body on it (usually), the other doesn't. The crucifix is:

cru�ci�fix ( P ) Pronunciation Key (krs-fks)
n.
An image or figure of Jesus on the cross.
A cross viewed as a symbol of Jesus's crucifixion.

And what is a cross? Many things:

cross ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr�s, krs)
n.

An upright post with a transverse piece near the top, on which condemned persons were executed in ancient times.
often Cross The upright post with a transverse piece upon which Jesus was crucified.
A crucifix.
Any of various modifications of the cross design, such as a Latin cross or Maltese cross.
A medal, emblem, or insignia in the form of a cross.
The Christian religion; Christianity.
In Christianity, a sign made by tracing the outline of a cross with the right hand upon the forehead and chest as a devotional act.
A trial, affliction, or frustration. See Synonyms at burden1.
A mark or pattern formed by the intersection of two lines, especially such a mark (X) used as a signature.
A movement from one place to another, as on a stage; a crossing.
A pipe fitting with four branches in upright and transverse form, used as a junction for intersecting pipes.
Biology.
A plant or animal produced by crossbreeding; a hybrid.
The process of crossbreeding; hybridization.
One that combines the qualities of two other things: a novel that is a cross between romance and satire.
Sports. A hook thrown over an opponent's punch in boxing.
Law. An act or instance of cross-examining; a cross-examination.
The Southern Cross.
Slang. A contest whose outcome has been dishonestly prearranged.

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
thanks embryonic- nice post

has anyone noticed the boost of history shows and documentaries about jesus and crucifixion and such before this film was realease? now that its been out for a week...no one seems to be very into it anymore???

the only thing wrong with christianity is the christians......

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ack.

I would never buy any of that crap.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join