It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howard Stern's Latest Comments Are Beyond Offensive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Drudge is reporting that the nation's top morning-drive radio jock (Howard Stern) will not air on his CLEAR CHANNEL-owned affiliates Thursday morning. INFINITY's Howard Stern Show has been found in violation of the FCC's new 'indecency standards'. The action comes after FCC executives reviewed a comment made on Stern's Tuesday program, including an on-air caller's comments: 'Ever bang a famous 'n-word' chick? What do they smell like? Watermelons?'

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
obvious that caller is an asshat, I myself don't listen to Howard so...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
FCC made the right call.

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It's clearly not Howard Sterns fault that a caller made a really ignorant comment on the air. I agree with the FCC though, this seems like a good deterent to stop any other jackass callers.

And yes, I listen to Howard.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
According to this article:

"Howard Stern suspended from Clear Channel station"
www.forbes.com...

"It was vulgar, offensive and insulting, not just to women and African Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency," Clear Channel Radio Chief Executive John Hogan said in a statement.

"We will not air Howard Stern on Clear Channel stations until we are assured that his show will conform to acceptable standards of responsible broadcasting," he said."

I would have to again, agree.

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wait, a caller says something, and Howard gets in trouble? So if I call in to Bob and Tom and say "Die 'n-word' babies!" Bob and Tom would get canceled?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wait, a caller says something, and Howard gets in trouble? So if I call in to Bob and Tom and say "Die 'n-word' babies!" Bob and Tom would get canceled?

Basically. I think its B.S.

The caller should really be the one thats reprimanded, but still, the ruling is a good deterent for other ignorant callers.

Plus, I can still watch Howard on the E! Channel.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
oh god
not his falt!

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I seem to remember UK Talk Radio (before it became 'Talk Sport') having an 8 second lag time between speech and transmission, just in case some arsehole spouted stuff like this.

If things like this happened, the presenter pressed a button and the offensive crap just wasn't transmitted.

Why doesn't this show also have this option? ... or does it ?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

He does run with a 7 second delay. He could have blocked it out...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I feel Howard Stern shouldn't be responsible for what the callers say. A show like Howard Stern's which is known to be racy, should be delayed a minute or so incase a dumb # like that caller, decided to make some offensive comment.

That's like the FCC stopping the Super Bowl from having halftime shows because one dumb # #ed it up for everyone. I hate when one person #s things up for the rest of us. I am not a fan of Howard Stern's show and don't listen to it. But I don't believe he should be the one to pay for someone else's doings.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I totally disagree with the FCC and its decision.

What ever happened to a little something called the "Bill of Rights" that gives us free speech?

Basically what the FCC is doing is called censorship and I thought this was something the government couldn't do to the media.

Originally posted by Pisky
If things like this happened, the presenter pressed a button and the offensive crap just wasn't transmitted.

Why doesn't this show also have this option? ... or does it?
Yes he does have the show on a delay and don't know why he didn't censor the comment out.

Don't get me wrong I don't agree with what was said but I don't think the FCC should be able to censor and control the freedom of speech of the show or any other media outlet.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Wait a second. Let me get this straight. Some dude calls to Howard's show and acts like a complete ass, and Howard gets the blame? This is such crap.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Look up the Rules and Regulations pertaining to radio stations, TV, etc.
"standards of responsible broadcasting"

Freedom of Speech comes with limitations and restrictions folks....they do teach this in school right?

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by Seekerof]

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by observer]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I listen to Howard every day for the entire show and i dont remember anything of yesterdays show that was that bad. The Rick interview went smooth and i didnt hear the offensive caller. Maybe i just didnt notice because i dont get offended. If the caller said black,big deal. If the caller said 'n-word' that might be the problem and if the calller said nigga thats not a problem. I read on a news sight earlier that it had nothing to do with a caller, but Stern said something.
None the less who cares about clearchannel radio. They are just a bunch of christian homos anyways.
Let another station pick up the show and clearchannel can run Barney soundtracks,Fallwell and Limbaugh all day if they want.
Oh yeah,dont forget about Hannity(limbaugh lite).
Who cares.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Seekerof...

There are limitations to your free speech. You cannot spout like that on anything except pay-per-view type events or in movies...not live radio or tv broadcasts. That's why Michael Savage is no longer on TV.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
just like Milk said 7 sec delay, it wasnt blocked because it was planned, all a setup, Howie is fading, i used to listen like 5 yrs ago when he was somebody...pitiful attempt to stay in the news, its sad..

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Seekerof...

There are limitations to your free speech.

This makes as much sense as saying there are limits to your freedom, what we all should be looking at is why the government even has the right to say anything. The FCC is a joke and should be gotten rid of. Howard, or his guest, made a very rude joke, I agree. But there are no limits to your free speach tha ti one of the stupidst things I have ever heard!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I trust that we can expect such valiant agencies to stand up for the beleagured white anglo-saxon man too when warranted?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
This isn't an issue of censorship. Clear channel decided that Howard Stern has gone too far and they decided to pull his show. It was a business decision.

They are clearly worried that the PUBLIC backlash from the Super Bowl incident will negatively affect the bottom line. The last thing they need is a boycott from the right.

Before you say it, yes I know that the govt is raising the fines for obscene speech. This was a business decision in my opinion.

And if you have any questions about our rights regarding obscene speech, the test for obscene speech ( which is not protected by the first amendment according to the Supreme Court) is spelled out in Miller v. California

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join