It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia Says Weapon Renders 'Missile Defense Useless'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The prototype weapon proved it could maneuver so quickly as to make "any missile defense useless," Col.-Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky, the first deputy chief of the General Staff of the Russian armed forces, said at a news conference.
www.newsmax.com...

But as the article says,this is not directed torwards America. I'm sure they were talking about Pakistan, India and N. Korea. Now add this to the "nuclear war games" which the Russians just completed and the HUGH sums of money being pumped into russias "Magic Mountain" (think NORAD but the size of Washinton DC)...makes one wonder what's up?

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
amazing, but yet frightening. not frightening like oh my god they're going to attack us, but frightening in oh god what sort of # will the us pull now?

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
we must now invade russia.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by enomus]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Do these supposed missile's work and operate like those that were to be launched during the Russian exercise earlier this week?

Personally, its interesting to see that Russia is continuing to follow the Cold War Era mentality....and doing all this with significant insuffecient funds. Example would be those "advanced" Russian fighters within the Russian Air Forces where the pilots are very lucky to get 18-45 +/- hours of flight time and training and year....

One has to wonder if these particular missiles will also end up on the foreign export/marketing "for sale" lists. I guess those billions that the US gives to the Russian's is being utilized to the utmost potential? Inflation rates in Russia are how high, btw?

Putin is "old-school" and because he is such, he will listen to the "old-school" hard-liners which, if not kept in balance, will lead to future confrontations of the Cold War style.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is questioning the Russian economy mention I made, here's an outstanding article. Russia's economy may and is showing signs of growth but is inherently, and moreover, showing major signs of strain:

"Russian economy minister warns of crisis in 2005"
www.russiajournal.com...

Excerpt:
"MOSCOW - If the pace of administrative reforms is not increased and state involvement in the economy is not reduced radically, Russia risks sliding into the abyss of an economic crisis as early as 2005, German Gref, minister for economic development and trade, told students at the Academy of National Economy in Moscow on Wednesday. Analysts share the minister�s apprehensions."

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I wonder if the missles can maneuver faster than a laser beam

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Wgatenson hit the nail on the head.
Sounds like a lot of hot air spouted for their own internal political situation to me. Reality has little to do with it.

Now what other country does that as well?????

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Its probably a mirror on the missle. Making it sound the MOST ADVANCED MISSLE in the world.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
well if it even did screw missle defenses they can still use those small heat seakers i mean missles do release tons of heat...cant beleeve none of you thought of that...

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
In the case of a missile targeting the heat source of an incoming ballistic missile Cookie, the "heat-seeking" missile destroys or disables the incoming missile's engines but leaves the nuclear payload(s) or warhead(s) intact?

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
What if they (the Russians), tested this and found out that it nullified their own missile systems by mistake?

Would then then be lying?

join