It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird S**t

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is old news that ive known about for over a year, but it relates to a similier post about hidden backwards messages in music.

Spooky image of a creature with a diabolical grin has been accidentally discovered on Aphex Twin's Windowlicker EP, a 1999 hit.

Just like the backward messages on vinyl LPs, the face is secretly encoded in the actual sound waves of the music. It isn't a separate file on the CD. The image is the aural equivalent of steganography: the practice of hiding secret messages and watermarks in images.

The existence of the image has not been publicized by Aphex Twin or his record label.

It seems to have been discovered accidentally by an electronic musician who calls himself Chaos Machine. Chaos Machine wasn't available for an interview, but according to his website, he was playing around with WinAmp one evening when he spotted the diabolical face.

His discovery can be reproduced with a sample of the song and some spectrographic software, which displays the different frequencies of the song as a graph against time. The image doesn't appear in an MP3 file of the song; the compression algorithm destroys the image.

It is suggested that this was made using a program called Meta Synth which can turn pictures into music.

Meta Synth

It is said that the image itself is a manipulation of the artists face that he uses in alot of his videos.

The Pink Panther.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Haha, oh man that is so cool. Who were the Aphex Twin's?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Aphex Twin its a brittish guy who makes his own instruments and makes some rather experimental electronic music, he did a few remixes for Nine Inch Nails.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This was done on purpose. I think I read about another much more smarter method that he used on the 2 Remixes by AFX EP, song #3 "Bonus High Frequencies Sounds". It's a picture encoded in the sound. That was on the WATMM Forums before they were lost.

Anyway, more information about this can be here.

BTW, I used to love Aphex Twin's work, but I moved on to more experimental sounds (Autechre, Venetian Snares, Merzbow).

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by amantine]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yep, I just posted this only 1 minute before you replied on this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by ThePinkPanther]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I still loves me some Aphex Twin, I am sure that was richards own joke.

I like the crazed look he always has on his face(s).

top topics

join