It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wormhole!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I saw a show last night on the discovery civilization channel and this guy that worked for nasa said it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light. He said create a wormhole.

So all i need is a whole lot of money and a bunch of smart people to make me a wormhole. Any ideas where would get that stuff?

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I doubt its much more than a working theory.

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 03:07 PM
link   
the nasa guy said it was possible, but to be careful becase you dont know what is on the other side of the wormhole.

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The problem with creating wormholes is that they would require an insane amount of energy to run. You know, about as much energy as there would be if our sun went super-nova right now. A lot of mainstream scientists believe wormholes are possible, but highly improbable to make any sort of use. I believe they mentioned all this in a NOVA special once on Time Travel, or was it a show with Carl Sagan... or maybe I read it in A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Either way, if you are interested in anything to do with space theories look up Hawking or Sagan.

Here is an interview on the subject:

www.pbs.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Far more than is in the sun I think.

I don't remember where I read it (might've been brief history, not sure) but I think the main theory to achieving successful time travel is thus:

Get 5 large qasars lined up in a cylinder, have the cylinder spinning at 1/2 the speed of light, creating a singularity at the centre of the cylinder. Then if you orbit the cylinder in one direction you can go backwards, the other direction you can go forwards. Of course this means you can only travel backwards to a time when the singularity existed, ie after you made the cylinder and set it spinning.

Now, there is a chance that such a singularity could occur naturally, but the chances are small considering the fastest spinning qasars we have thusfar observed only spin at 1/10th the speed of light. Also, such a singularity could not be parked in orbit around earth, as its mass would be a great many times that of the entire solar system, it would have to be many light years away from us to be safe. Also obviously a naturally occuring singularity would be an incredibly long way away for us not to have noticed it yet.

So its still very much a case of lack of technology, as well as lack of funding and resources.

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Originally posted by ilovepizza:

"So all i need is a whole lot of money and a bunch of smart people to make me a wormhole. Any ideas where would get that stuff?"

MIT and Fort Knox?

alternatively just act really dumb and if you're really good at it you'll get elected president, and that would make the whole thing a lot easier....

- qo.

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
the nasa guy said it was possible, but to be careful becase you dont know what is on the other side of the wormhole.

My best guess would be a worm.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I recently heard that to stabelize a articficial wormhole you need some form of negative energy, so all you have to do is find that, before you call in MIT and Fort Knox.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yes, if exotic matter does exist or can be created, it would help to keep the wormhole open, assuming extreme negative effects against it won't destroy the exotic matter. Exotic matter is matter that has negative gravity effects, for those that don't know how it is defined.

Worm holes still have a number of obstacles, mainly energy, where the amount of energy needed is equal to like 100,000 nuclear power plants, just for a small one. That may have been overcome, but I'm sure the energy requirement is still substancial (possibly more energy than our sun produces).

I had a substitute teacher who was a navigator in the Air Force and said that he knew his science buddies were working on the logistics for making a Stargate (particular type of wormhole process) back in the early 90s. He did not believe they had made one just yet, but were seriously working on it as the best alternative. I find no reason why they would not be looking into it.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   
worm holes hmmmm?

tell me more about these wormholes....

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Scorpius got his wormhole....

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
it will cost just about as much to generate cold fusion i bet...but im sure their are other bits of science we have yet to discover that will make it much easier for us in the future...if their is a future.

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It almost sounds like it could be done someday, but then again i just had 12 beers!

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
yes, they're very different things. one will suck you into oblivion, the other will connect you to another point in the universe. but, what if black holes really were gateways of sort? as theorized by the Omega Point idea?

black holes are created by massive stars that collapsed in on themselves, as they had already become a heavily dense neutron star by that point. So, would it not be possible to construct a kind of a pipeline network that would connect the different gravitational influences from star system to star system?

perhaps if we could counteract the theoretical impact that a black hole would have on an object, we could travel through it and appear beside an inverse gravitational well (as you would have reached "the other side" after surviving the singularity) that came to function as a result of the singularities effects on the dimension in question.

jesus so much gibberish. does this make any sense to anyone or maybe spark any thoughts? sometimes i get a little passionate with my ideas and lose the need for simplicity and proper grammar

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Im not very knowledgeable on this, but What is the point of using a wormhole to traverse the universe if the universe is flat? I say this because the shortest route from one place to the other is a straight line, so would'nt i just be quicker to get on a spaceship and fly to a particular destination. like I said i'm kinda ignorant on this subject, so please dont attack me if this is a dumb post

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dakmarid
The problem with creating wormholes is that they would require an insane amount of energy to run. You know, about as much energy as there would be if our sun went super-nova right now. A lot of mainstream scientists believe wormholes are possible, but highly improbable to make any sort of use. I believe they mentioned all this in a NOVA special once on Time Travel, or was it a show with Carl Sagan... or maybe I read it in A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Either way, if you are interested in anything to do with space theories look up Hawking or Sagan.

Here is an interview on the subject:

www.pbs.org...

I dunno, they do it all the time on Stargate SG1

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phyberoptik
Im not very knowledgeable on this, but What is the point of using a wormhole to traverse the universe if the universe is flat? I say this because the shortest route from one place to the other is a straight line, so would'nt i just be quicker to get on a spaceship and fly to a particular destination. like I said i'm kinda ignorant on this subject, so please dont attack me if this is a dumb post

A straight line is not always the shortest route.

Take a piece of paper and draw a dot in two of the corners. Now two dimensionally the shortest way is indeed a straight line but if you include the third dimension you can just fold the paper over and hey presto you are simultaneously in both places at once using only the three dimensions we all know.

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by johnb]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Thanks. That was kinda obvious now that i think about it, but you will have to excuse me as I am a little tired. thanks again johnb

new topics

top topics

join