It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft reinstated, 2005

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
www.vancouver.indymedia.org...

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS)
budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as
June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the
system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.
Please see website: www.sss.gov... to view
the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350
draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide..
Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and
influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's
prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a
permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may
have no choice but to draft.

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year,
entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for
the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in
the United States, including women, perform a period of military
service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national
defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active
bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam
era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December
2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which
could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's
Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security
Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan
which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of
people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making
the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates
higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to
postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors
would have until the end of the academic year.

From S 89:

"SEC. 2. NATIONAL SERVICE OBLIGATION.

(a) OBLIGATION FOR YOUNG PERSONS- It is the obligation of every citizen of the United States, and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the ages of 18 and 26 to perform a period of national service as prescribed in this Act unless exempted under the provisions of this Act.

(b) FORM OF NATIONAL SERVICE- National service under this Act shall be performed either--

(1) as a member of an active or reserve component of the uniformed services; or

(2) in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the President, promotes the national defense, including national or community service and homeland security.

(c) INDUCTION REQUIREMENTS- The President shall provide for the induction of persons covered by subsection (a) to perform national service under this Act.

(d) SELECTION FOR MILITARY SERVICE- Based upon the needs of the uniformed services, the President shall--

(1) determine the number of persons covered by subsection (a) whose service is to be performed as a member of an active or reserve component of the uniformed services; and

(2) select the individuals among those persons who are to be inducted for military service under this Act.

(e) CIVILIAN SERVICE- Persons covered by subsection (a) who are not selected for military service under subsection (d) shall perform their national service obligation under this Act in a civilian capacity pursuant to subsection (b)(2)."

"SEC. 7. INDUCTION EXEMPTIONS.

(a) QUALIFICATIONS- No person may be inducted for military service under this Act unless the person is acceptable to the Secretary concerned for training and meets the same health and physical qualifications applicable under section 505 of title 10, United States Code, to persons seeking original enlistment in a regular component of the Armed Forces.

(b) OTHER MILITARY SERVICE- No person shall be liable for induction under this Act who--

(1) is serving, or has served honorably for at least six months, in any component of the uniformed services on active duty; or

(2) is or becomes a cadet or midshipman at the United States Military Academy, the United States Naval Academy, the United States Air Force Academy, the Coast Guard Academy, the United States
Merchant Marine Academy, a midshipman of a Navy accredited State maritime academy, a member of the Senior Reserve Officers' Training Corps, or the naval aviation college program, so long as that person satisfactorily continues in and completes two years training therein.

SEC. 8. CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTION.

(a) CLAIMS AS CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR- Any person selected under this Act for induction into the uniformed services who claims, because of religious training and belief (as defined in section 6(j) of the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. 456(j))), exemption from combatant training included as part of that military service and whose claim is sustained under such procedures as the President may prescribe, shall, when inducted, participate in military service that does not include any combatant training component.

(b) TRANSFER TO CIVILIAN SERVICE- Any such person whose claim is sustained may, at the discretion of the President, be transferred to a national service program for performance of such person's national service obligation under this Act."

Hr 163: "1/7/2003--Introduced.
Universal National Service Act of 2003 - Declares that it is the obligation of every U.S. citizen, and every other person residing in the United States, between the ages of 18 and 26 to perform a two-year period of national service, unless exempted, either as a member of an active or reserve component of the armed forces or in a civilian capacity that promotes national defense. Requires induction into national service by the President. Sets forth provisions governing: (1) induction deferments, postponements, and exemptions, including exemption of a conscientious objector from military service that includes combatant training; and (2) discharge following national service.

Amends the Military Selective Service Act to authorize the military registration of females. "

HR 163-

1/7/2003:
Referred to the House Committee on Armed Services.
2/3/2003:
Executive Comment Requested from DOD.
2/3/2003:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Total Force.

S89-

1/7/2003:
Read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
holy crud...
is this real?
note that you have to be healthy/fit so that rules out most americans already

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Glad I've already served and am now "too old"

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Sigh.Browha, I thought we went over this.

You do not have to be fit and healthy to join the US army. You dont even have to speak english.

One girl in my basic training platoon was legally blind without her glasses.

All you need is a pulse, two arms, and two legs to join.

And for your information, most Americans would be fit and healthy enough to get drafted. That age group is not the main one that gets fat and unhealthy, they are still lean and mean around there. Its the older generations that suffer that.

God, and were supposed to be ignorant.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
heh alright if you put it like that I suppose it's fair enough....

in Britian you wouldnt get drafted unless you were fit enough to do a PT, I think i'ts a 4 mile run in something like 20-25 min, NOT SURE THOUGH
it's the bare minimums

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
you get physically fit when you get into training. Its not a matter of what you are before. In basic, they break you down and build you back up. so u can be terribly out of shape when you go in, but when u come out, you wont be that bad anymore.

We require a larger military than you, thus, we dont need standards such as yours, we need quantity, we can fix them and shape them to our whim as they come in. make boys into men, or whatever. makes elves into men too

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
forgot to mention my Medical Discharge too, and no it was not a "section 8"

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
As to your topic Shotek.....you a lil' worried or something over this?
I mean, is there a problem with this?
Some countires (Germany, Israel, etc) have mandatory service times...
Why is the re-instituting of the draft of any consequence?

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I believe the main issue is the government and how the troops would be used

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You know, I don't get how all the nay-sayers can still think that there is nothing going on concerning a draft even though the SSS budget is being upped, draft boards populated and two bills circulating congress. I guess they wont believe it untill their first day of boot camp...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Seekerof.......
You listed Germany and Israel..not exactly good examples. Niether country is very free or safe.

This is supposed to be America. A volunteer army. The draft is absolute bull#. We do not need the draft. What we need is too pull troops from all these unnecessary commitments and overseas bases, and bring them home. We would have no problems then with strength.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
oh poo. I'll be 18 in 2006. How much trouble will I get in if I don't register when im 18 ???

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/12/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
oh #. I'll be 18 in 2006. How much trouble will I get in if I don't register when im 18 ???

I think it disqualifies you from certain benefits and privileges like voting, financial aid in college, etc. I also heard that you could actually be held in jail untill you agree to signup, kind of like being held in contempt of court, but don't hold me to that one.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You have to fill out your Selective Service draft card, its the law.

If you dont, you have two choices:

1) Move to a different country (I wouldnt want you here anyway, we dont need pussies)

2) Go to jail (And if youre too scared to fill out your draft card, you wont last very long in prison)

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Plus, if you dont fill it out on your own, they mail it to you.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is a way to toughen up the young people for the future problems affecting the world.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Neo, does Canada have a draft?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51
1) Move to a different country (I wouldnt want you here anyway, we dont need pussies)

I don't want to fight because of religious reasons...Not because im a "pussy".

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
i think that everyone should do at least 2 years in the military. im going in for 4 yeras here soon. it would make pepole better off.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51
You have to fill out your Selective Service draft card, its the law.

If you dont, you have two choices:

2) Go to jail (And if youre too scared to fill out your draft card, you wont last very long in prison)

Yeah get in line with the rest of the flock of sheep.

What if it's against your beliefs to fight in wars? What if you do not agree with the reasons for the war? What if you think the mind is a far greater fighting tool than the firsts? That one obviously passed you by.

If the military was actually being used for it's true purpose, defence, then there would be more than enough troops for the job. But no, the government need more hired killers to run around the world killing so that the fat cats can line their pockets.

You're the pussy for joining the rest of the flock, you're the pussy accepting everything the government tells you to do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join