It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery signal picked up in Puerto Rico

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Apologies if this has been posted already. (I searched but didn't see it anywhere.)

Has ET Made a Call?

Across the globe, researchers searching for signs of life in space were abuzz this week with word that a mystery signal has been picked up by a giant radio-telescope in Puerto Rico.

While I don't really like the casual/humorous attitude of the report, the "Don't eat us" comment did make me laugh.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlNextDoor

Not sure if this is the same story but:

www.sciencedaily.com...

If so, I think the KTVU team may have taken some liberties with exactly what was detected.

On a side note, I also found out that the telescope has been "spruced up" and is looking for more funding.

www.nytimes.com...

Coincidence that they release some findings while looking for more dough? Who knows, would be sad to see it decommissioned though (or whatever the term is when they put a radio telescope to sleep).

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor
Apologies if this has been posted already. (I searched but didn't see it anywhere.)

Has ET Made a Call?

Across the globe, researchers searching for signs of life in space were abuzz this week with word that a mystery signal has been picked up by a giant radio-telescope in Puerto Rico.

While I don't really like the casual/humorous attitude of the report, the "Don't eat us" comment did make me laugh.

That article's style of writing is so casual that it's hard to take any of it serious. A confirmed signal/message from an alien species would be the biggest event yet for mankind.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
That article's style of writing is so casual that it's hard to take any of it serious. A confirmed signal/message from an alien species would be the biggest event yet for mankind.

I thought it was awfully casual for such a find. Then to not see it mentioned here on ATS already... ? I thought something like that would be bigger news. Maybe it's nothing but a ploy for money, as Comm8Comma1 said. Sad if that's the case.

Edited to clarify: by "sad" I meant it's a shame they would need to sensationalize an event to get the funding they need to continue their research.

[edit on 1/15/08 by GirlNextDoor]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I'm not saying it's a ploy, because what they did discover is actually very interesting.

I was just suggesting that it wasn't so much a signal from someone as it was a detection of something chemical.

And as far as looking for money, I don't blame them one bit.
The National Science Foundation runs the telescope via Cornell and has cut funding (see earlier post for NY Times link).

I just think Mr. Burgundy at KTVU news may have read too much into it (or never read the actual findings at all) before doing a "man on the street" interview.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If the Jan. 11 discovery is the same event, then the KTVU news report does seem severely lacking.

[edit on 1/15/08 by GirlNextDoor]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Then again, the Science Daily article could be a smoke and mirrors job covering for the unintended release of information, although I'm not sure how KTVU in San Francisco would get such a scoop....

Unless of course there's something you're not telling us....

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Article appears to be very casually written and I'm surprised this has not been discussed even more. Reminds me of the "Wow!" signal from a few decades ago:

Wow! Signal link

I remember reading an article in which Jerry Ehman (noticed the signal) stated "Even if it were intelligent beings sending a signal, they'd do it far more than once". I wonder when will man stop assuming that "intelligent life elsewhere" must think the way we think for it to make sense........what we've learned is what we know...nothing more. "IF' there is intelligent life elsewhere, we have no idea what they know, if they think, how they think, how they learn, etc.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
im still new. so sorry if this is way off, but could this be the same signal?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My check engine light came on this evening on my 99 GS 400 followed by an interesting series of 0's and 1's. For a paltry sum I'd be glad to give you the series for analysis. The last time this happened it cost me 1250 scoobie snacks for one DANG cat converter! Not to say that is my motivation, course not.

Did have to say cat didn't I...grrrrrrr rowlf....grrrrrr.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by jpm1602]

Mod Note: One Line / Off Topic Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comma8Comma1
Unless of course there's something you're not telling us....

Me?!

I don't know squat. I'm just the girl next door.

To be completely honest, I know so little about all of this that when I first read jpm1602's reply I thought he was really talking about his car. Took me a minute to get it.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by keeff

Keeff, I saw that post , too. Wouldn't that be something if it was the same signal detected?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBottomLine

Wow! Signal link

That was really fascinating! I'm new to all this stuff, so I'm catching up.

"Even if it were intelligent beings sending a signal, they'd do it far more than once". I wonder when will man stop assuming that "intelligent life elsewhere" must think the way we think for it to make sense........what we've learned is what we know...nothing more. "IF' there is intelligent life elsewhere, we have no idea what they know, if they think, how they think, how they learn, etc.

Excellent point.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
My Lexus is very susceptible to extraterrestrial vibes. It was built by Japanese monks on a 20 day cleansing ritual. Or, was it scientologists on a search for meaning of Travolta and Tom....shoot, hasn't made a good movie for so long I forgot his last name.
Cruise, ya ya, that's it!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Oh man, if you haven't yet you GOTTA watch this:

gawker.com...

I'd never criticize one for their religious beliefs but this guy is bat-doo-doo insane!

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Comma8Comma1]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Oh My God! Forgive me Lord. Fruitloops in a bowl or heroin in a syringe, your pick. Don't know whether to shiver, laugh, or go to the corner. Unfrigganbelievable. Bloody loon has and will have more money than I will see in 10 lifetime though. At least I think I have my marbles and my prized shooter.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I don't want to stray too far OT but I'm gonna post this on it's own thread (I'm just trying to figure out how to thinly veil it enough so I don't get any flack for just putting it up for a laugh.)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Not to worry Comma, if the mods need to spank, let them spank me.
That vid was classic narcissist looney. Leave Comma alone, sobs. (not Britney this time).

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

interesting find for sure.

i dont think the two storys are the same incident. the news story you posted said they werent really sure what it was and they were trying to figure out what they could say in a return message if they were gonna send one.

the other article that was posted says they found proof of certain molecules that harbour life. why would they try to come up with a return message for amino acids ?..lol

just seemed like two completely different storys.
also seems like someone trying to derail this thread ?

[edit on 15-1-2008 by easynow]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well this was only posted about 2 hours ago, so I wouldn't expect every news station to have this in their breaking news. We'll just have to see what this turns into within the next week.

EDIT: Just noticed it said AM, sorry about that.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by GeeGee]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join