It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Major tidal surge" headed for UK East Coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yeah, I live in the Netherlands and the forecasts aren't nice.

I hope our Delta Works keep the water away

[edit on 8-11-2007 by DutchFree]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DutchFree

Netherlands TV is reporting the closure of the Oosterscheldkering flood barrier ... and that the surge will be 4 metres high (12 ft ?) when it hits the Dutch coast. A very worrying situation given that the death toll in the Netherlands was approx 1800 in 1953.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DutchFree

Yes but Dutch engineers are some of the finest in the world when it comes to storm surge mitigation. It really depends on what they designed for. If for 12 feet, then not to worry (too much). Brit engineers are no slouches either.
Have confidence but be very cautious.
Keep us posted my Dutch and English friends. We're thinking of you.
Stay dry!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by timeless test

Ok thankyou very much. Man i hope you guys will be alright, I cant imagine having to evacuate my area and leave everything behind. My thoughts are with all that are affected.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yeah, but not only the Oosterscheldkering flood barrier is going to be closed.
It will probably not that bad, we are well prepared.
We've got a few weak spots, but those are being monitored very closely atm.

I live near the coast btw, but on the 15th floor of an appartement so no worries
Wind is blowing really hard though.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by DutchFree]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Is this a joke?

I'm sitting pretty without a care in the world (almost) and you tell me this??

Where are the alarms, the weather stations and the local stations when you need them???

I'm sitting on the East Coast in this little penninsula and the wall of water is coming???

Should i let everyone know here?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Being the Atlantic on the West Coast of England. I am sure surprised by the fact the surtge will be on the East Coast. Does weather mover differently over there in England.....Or is this related to a non-weather event?

By the way, someone asked about 3 meters ... its equal to ABOUT 9 feet.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrapop

Off-topic:
Saw this movie during it's premier week down at Piccadilly or thereabouts... I do NOT recommend this movie. There were 6 other people besides me and my date and I didn't feel like any of us were particularly entertained.

Take "Day after tomorrow" and yank out some action and semi interesting dialog and you have "Flood"

Seriosly, don't waste your money

On-topic:

Sure is nasty :S I makes me wonder if that Corbyn guy was just half right after all? He did talk about that Superstorm hitting lower england and holland between tomorrow and the 15th.
Did he just get lucky?

Holding my breath for you Dutch people, you aren't exactly blessed with a mountainous coast :S

[edit on 8/11/07 by flice]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Ok, England?

They say do not go to sleep tonight???

I hope everyone takes the advise and goes to high ground!!!

(I thought this was the East Coast of the USA.
I am still worried about my British family, though)

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
There's very stormy weather on the west coast of Denmark and Norway as well. You can see a satellite animation of the weather in Northern Europe here.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

The surge is particularly intense on the east coast because the North Sea funnels down to the south and so as the wind drives the water in that direction the effect is magnified along with the effects of low pressure and particularly high tides as well.

This is one of the reasons that London has a flood barrier on the Thames as well.

The East Coast, (that's particularly Norfolk and Suffolk dgtempe
),are very low lying and just like the Netherlands much of this area was drained and reclaimed starting back in Roman times. The West Coast is generally much higher.

edit to add: Where are your people dgtempe?

[edit on 8-11-2007 by timeless test]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Basically it's caused by a vast amount of sea water moving down the North Sea off the British east coast, caused by a combination of high winds & low atmospheric pressure. The wall of water kinda gets funnelled as it approaches the bottom end of the North Sea and breaches sea defences in the Netherlands and south east England.

Thames & Dartford Creek barriers now closed. Rotterdam harbour closed. All Dutch barriers closed. Evacuation now advised in parts of Norfolk & Suffolk.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Wow, this storm is huge! I have family in Denmark and hope they are prepared..trying to call them now. Thanks for the alert op.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
"9-10 feet tidal surge is nothing small. I hope you guys have learned from the past and you don't have another repeat of the last similiar disaster..300 dead you said right. wow.."

It's great how caring people seem to be on here

Since the last flood 1953, the flood defences have hopefully been improved and with the evacuation maybe everyone will be safe. I'm lucky to be over 1000ft above sea level so my thoughts are with the people on the coast and across the sea.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Did this just come out of nowhere or have they been talking about it for a few days in those parts as a possibility? I've never heard of anything like this. If any of you that are reading this live in that area, turn off the PC and get your arse to higher ground. I read in one place where one of you is in a 15 story building. The aftermath can be just as bad after a disaster, remember Katrina?

Best to all of you all over there and let's hope the storm dies down and nothing happens.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by on_yur_6]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There was talk about high winds coming over Scotland, but nothing to this degree we are seeing tonight in the UK,

I mean i have never seen this way they are acting, Sirens cobra meetings, People are fleeing the coast,

Im worried as my sister oni is ment to be flying out tomorrow to Bulgeria,
so right in the Storm path in the morning,

Here in London there closing the thames barriers,

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

Shocking. Is this a regular occurance? .. Also, can any of you in Northern Europe explain these Dutch barriers that your speaking of?

The description of how this surge was formed seems like something out of a movie to be honest, I certainly hope it brings as little damage as possible, but if it does we will all be ready to help.

Also.

What is a COBRA meeting?

[edit on 11/8/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Good luck to all of you on the east coast
Hopefully all of the flood defences put in place since the last time this happened will be enough.

Stay safe!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think this is getting a bit over dramatic now.
Its going to be windy and wet, welcome to typical English weather.
The only ones that stand a risk of flooding are the idiots who never learn.
They live on low ground near rivers, they get flooded often, has everyone forgotten about the floods a few months ago, all those people flooded out have just about cleared up and moved back in.
I believe in once bitten twice shy, If I was flooded out I would have learnt my lesson but these morons never learn, now all we have to look forward to is news reports showing peoples homes flooded and the residents in tears.
Tough luck, nature wins, nothing will change, the 'flood victims' will move straight back in and in a year or two we will be seeing it all over again.
Kinda reminds me of those that insist on rebuilding houses on the Californian hills and then wonder why once again a fire destroys the homes.
Do we really expect mother nature to make exceptions or change?

PS: I will be moving to the East coast in North Yorkshire next week or so, My house wont be effected for the simple reason I chose to live on high ground.

[edit on 8/11/07 by eagle32]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Cobra meeting is chaired by the Prime minister,

Do decided what to do in an emergancy situation..

special COBRA Cabinet Office meeting was held by Prime Minister Gordon Brown to coordinate the emergency response.

"COBRA has just met. All the arrangements that can be put in place are being put in place," John Healey, minister of state for local communities, told reporters as he emerged from the meeting.

"COBRA will be on full alert throughout the night, and the prime minister will be keeping in close touch and keeping on top of things," he added.

link

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join