It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unmarked Black Helicopter sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone else sighted black helicopters over the weekend...

Saturday afternoon, an unmarked black helicopter flew just above the tree tops past the end of my road along the lower eastern coast of Lake Michigan. My dad said from the sound of it, it was a Huey. It also didn't have any lights on, which I though was required of regular in-flight aircraft. I went to the end of the road to see if I could tell where it went, but by the time I got my coat and shoes on it was either too far way to be seen or had changed direction and flew inland.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
My guess is it belongs to the DEA. Since the borders have been closed, trafficers may be using Lake Michigan to transport marijuana or other pharmaceuticals into US waters.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If it had to do with drugs coming over the border, then why would they be so FAR from the border? The Canadian border is on the opposite side of the state. Illinois and Wisconsin are across the lake from me, not Canada.

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by worshipthemoon]

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well they can only intercept vessels if they are in their own juresdiction, a.k.a. US waters. They could have a DEA center of operations in that area. It is a lot more lucrative to bust trafficers during the transaction. If they can bust a boat offloading its cargo, then they can also make arrests of those who are doing the offloading. Usually there is a supervisor from the distribution ring present and if they can arrest this person then they can plea bargain with him/her until the heads of the ring can all be brought down in exchange for a lesser sentence.

I have a few questions though. Was this helicopter relatively quiet in comparison to other helicopters you've heard? And are you positive it was a Huey?

*EDIT: Sorry I forgot to sufficiently answer your concern. Being at the base of the lake there is a closer relative distance to the marketplace such as Chicago. The helicopters can also be used for long distance runs, thats why I'm wondering if it was actually a Huey. There are other reasons why the DEA would be positioned in that area. Land values and alternate sources of concern. The DEA could use that port as a homebase to scour the domestic land in an effort to locate grow operations on US soil. In the area surrounding Detroit, there may already be a DE agency situated there. This may just be your local "chapter."

[Edited on 1-25-2004 by insite]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It had a loud distinctive "thumping" sound, which is why my dad said it was a Huey. I personally know nothing about helicopter models. It was very close however, and I could see no markings whatsoever. Just flat black coloring on the whole helicopter.

There were no boats visible anywhere on the lake from my vantage point. I'm a considerable distance from Chicago as well--It's roughly a 2 1/2 hour drive around the bottom of the lake to the edge of the city. The helicopter was heading south directly above the shoreline. There is a nuclear power plant quite a ways south of here, and I could see the steam rising from the towers which is very unusual since it is so far away. At first I thought maybe there was a problem there.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
That is quite interseting and may even void my explanation. The distinguishing feature of DEA helicopter is that it employs sound dampening equipment and is relatively quiet. They are also known to use PAVE/Blackhawk helicopters in their operations. Interesting sighting, the plot thickens.. Just because there are no visible boats on the lake does not mean that they are not there.

They could be out on drills or just surveillance. Although, no one in their right mind would attempt to grow cannabis in frosty conditions, it's impossible. It is possible that they are using UV/Heat sensing equipment to flyby houses (this would explain the low altitude). It is my firm assertion that this is a drug related aircraft, although you bring up interesting counterpoints.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I heard it coming before I saw it. The only reason I looked out the window was because it was so loud. It was flying lower than any other aircraft I've seen around here before, except for ultralights.

I seem to recall reading that all the Hueys used in drug enforcement were replaced a few years ago in this state by Blackhawks, like you mentioned. I agree that it's possible that it was using infrared sensors to search for people growing pot under growlights in their homes, but this area isn't well known for drug production. It's mostly summer cottages and condos along the beach. If it was a drug related craft, their search would probably be more fruitful inland towards more heavily populated areas.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Could have also been the power company.. I know around here, they fly the power lines once a month to check for problems. They fly very low, and fly many types of helicopters. Hueys, or the Bell UH-1 (I forget the civilian version), are still in service in many areas of aviation too. Most military branches have retired them, but I know that some national guard units still use them. They do have a very distinct sound and shape to them, so it would be easy to identify...

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This isn't a heavily populated area, and the only other helicopters I've seen around here are small privately owned ones and the news helicopter. As far as I know, the local power plants don't own any (at least I've never seen or heard of any). All the other helicopters I have seen in the area were clearly marked.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Im in the military, my job is to protect nuclear weapons and when a convoy is taking place, we must use helicopter protecion..and its very rare that our helicopters are marked..so every unmarked helicopter is not involved in something crazy, oh and milk if you can believe it we still use hueys..the ones from Nam..you would think when it comes to nuclear safety we'd be flying some great new # but no...that would make em too hard to steal
..especially with the election comin up and all

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Must be interesting being apart of air force security forces. You should u2u Jeffery, he will be going through the same tech school.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I will do that ADVISOR..I always and try and help out some new troops..yea it is pretty interesting..something new everyday.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Couldnt find a recent thread of sighting so i thought i would post here.

I just sighted a Jet black unmarked Black Hawk helicopter heading for March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, Ca. Sounded like it was fully loaded from the sound the rotors were putting out. It was a VERY deep hum that lasted for about 3 minutes before it flew over.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by worshipthemoon

Did it look like this?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by worshipthemoon

FYI you will see a lot of helicopters in this world.... If you see a dolphin flying through the air, let us know about that $hit instead!!

edit on 5/16/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I don't know what part of Michigan you are in but this illustrates a raid that happened yesterday at a small airport drug smugglers where using in Mich.mobile.thestar.com... so maybe it had something to do with that.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Would you settle for flying penguins?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

No it was a Black Hawk. Looked like this but even darker.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I live in the UK and three years ago I saw three fly over my village.

Early morning.

Clear sky.

The main one was a black huey, but it had open an side facing me with a drop down grid type door with red and white tape on it.

No other markings

The other two were Gazelle helicopters with no markings all black.

All in formation, heading North East over my village.

Height about 1000 feet.

join