It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the glaciers GROWING worlwide, including the U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
www.iceagenow.com... According to some folks, the glaciers are growing. Does anybody believe this may have some ties to the Planet X theories? Please help me post this link someone.

Turned into link after request: NC

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Netchicken]

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Kano]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I doubt it. They say Planet X is beyond pluto's orbit, and i doubt something that far away will have a significant effect on the earth's surface.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Nope, they are shrinking here in NZ and also in Antartica. "some" glacier may be growing but why that would have anything to do with a mythical fantastic planet I don't know. Maybe its a sign that Superman and Wonder Woman are returning?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Or maybe it's just where water built up on the glacier, froze, thus making the glacier larger.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
can someone turn that into a link please?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Click me

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dugzdanglindiner
can someone turn that into a link please?

You can edit your post to change the ; after http to a :
That will do it.
You might also want to author a summary of this in your own words for it to be considered for ATSNN.

-B.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Fixed it, ....

I would like to see the sources of this doc, especially about NZ glaciers.

If its true its an interesting and unique doc and a good post (apart from the Planet X link)

Check this ....
www.iceagenow.com...

buried crane...

There is an article about the planes lost in the 40's that were found under 50 meters of ice, recently (or something like that)

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This was a great addition to this thread...thankyou.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Glaciers are receding in many areas here in Alaska.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
If Alaska is shifting towards the equatorial region...and
Anterctica is shifting toward the same region this would explain why that is so. Also it may have somthing to do with all those scientific expeditions rushing down ther right now...Hmmm

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
p38assn.org...

By the time Shoffner -- a 73-year-old restaurateur, former banker and 1950s Air Force fighter pilot -- got to the plane, the decades of snowstorms had buried it 268 feet deep. "If you can't go through it, and you can't go around it, you just work up another solution to the problem," he said.

Crews used streams of hot water to melt a 48-inch-wide tunnel down to the plane and open a cavern around it. (Editor's note: This story has been corrected since original publication to fix the width of the tunnel.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Im still unsure what to think about the stories regarding a possible pole shift or what not, but it seems that more and more evidence points towards the fact that portions of this planet are getting cooler rapidly and the parts just opposite to them are getting warmer
quite rapidly. From what I remember if there is this Px
out there, it will be dragging the south pole in a north-westward direction...hence possibly Alaskan glaciers in fact receding as stated above.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
These fluctuations are an expected effect of the earth attemting to return to her normal climates following the deposit of the ice on earth. It will likely take thousands more years for this to happen. Meanwhile, the calving of bergs from the glaciers gives the uneducated enviromental extremist something to live for, I guess.

"Oh my Gosh, global warming is melting our ice caps!"

Yep, and if you're lucky, the process will not reverse again in your lifetime. I for one don't want to look across the Ohio River at a mile high glacier for the next 500 years and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

See, the deposit of ice has had a far more devestating effect on the natural environment than anything since. But, as it was not a manmade (I hope) event, we can't blame anyone for it. For elaboration on the deposit, see my post in the current "Antartica Hub" thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
They are both growing and shrinking. An odd answer I know but I'll try to explain.
It comes down to a global conveyer system within the oceans. Heres a brief discription of how they work.
"How does the ocean affect the weather?"

"Heat transfers readily from ocean to atmosphere, and much of the sun�s radiation is absorbed by the ocean. In fact, the upper ten feet (3 metres) of the ocean holds as much heat as the entire atmosphere. Ocean currents move warm surface water away from the tropics and return cold water to them via the ocean floor in a conveyer system. As the surface currents flow, they release heat into the environment, and thereby affect our weather."

Now to use the Uk as an example (yes I know they don't have any glaciers) It is heated by the Gulf Stream, carrying from mexico area. Now with global warming melting the existing glaciers, vast amounts of cold freshwater is released into the oceans, taking away that 3 metre warm spot. This means when the conveyer pulls it down it's just pulling down cold water and chilling it further only to release an artic like enviroment upon the UK.

Thats the basics, however on a more detailed note, it isn't just the fact that cold water is released that causes this, but FRESH water. This causes the conveyer to shutdown, this is due to a lack of salinity and therefore lower density of the freshwater. In a normal enviroment as water passes down rivers the surface evaporates off into clouds and passes out to sea (during which it has grown more saline. So when it falls it naturally pushes downards causing the Deepwater conveyer.
But when the water has a lower density it mearly stays near the surface, stopping the deepwater sinking and in effect killing the conveyer.

So this can have two effects. Firstly those area's that rely on conveyer heating for their climate, such as the UK could face an ice age. While tropical places, that have a more solar heating, would have no way of releasing their heat and become desert like.
Well I guess it solves your fashion problems. Bikini or eskimo suit?

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by feygan]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If the poles are in fact shifting I would expect that ice will recede in certain areas and increase in others. That seems to be the overall explanation for people's posts here?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
To follow feygan here..it means the thermo-haline circulation (THC) patterns in the ocean have been disrupted, which is exactly what climatologists thought would happen if the methane/CO2 concentrations hit a certain threshold. Not good, regardless of which side of the pond your on.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What concerns me most about the disruption of the THC, is that at this rate we could see these changes take place in as little as 50-100 years from now.

top topics

join