It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSSS - Best Friends Forever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is an original story that was written by me, who is known on this forum as worldwatcher. I had to change the names and a bit of the wording to make it fit into the category of "short story". Please read and feel free to comment....just remember I have never let anyone see my writings before.

It was the day of the funeral, Olivia was scared. She had never been to a funeral before. Her tummy began to hurt. She felt hot, her dress was too thick for this June midday sun.

"Olivia, remember you walk up to the coffin and place the flowers and the teddy bear near her arms. Make sure you set it nicely, don't just drop it, you are sure that the toy you want to give her?"

"You know...you don't have to look at her face if you don't want to" said her aunt.

Gran chimed in with "Say your prayers now, and when you get to the coffin, say whatever you want to Sarah. She'll hear you."

Olivia's tummy began to hurt more. She wanted to cry. To tell everyone to stop, to go away, leave her alone. Why does she have to do this? Sarah had other friends. She wasn't the only that played in their backyard under the cherry tree. But she did play with Sarah most often. They were best friends. They were in the same class at school. They walked home together.

She couldn't think anymore. Her head hurt. Was she getting a fever?
"Oh God, help me please. Give me the courage to do this" she whispered.

Everyone was lining up behind her. Everyone from her class including their parents were in attendance. They were letting the class come in, pay their respects and leave for the day. Mr. Whyte asked her if she was ready, she remembers nodding to him. She had found the place in her mind where she could hide.

The first thing Olivia saw was the blue carpet. She kept her eyes down following Mr. Whyte to their seats. She kept her eyes down. She didn't want to see the casket yet. Sarah would like these flowers. She loves purple. She would put them in her hair and say that her prince sent them. Olivia smiled. It was only 3 days ago, when her mom had called her into the livingroom and sat her down and told her that Sarah had died. How did she die mommy? Can I still see her?

Her mom had explained to her that when people die, they go away forever and all that was left was the memories shared together. Mom didn't want to tell her how Sarah died, but Gran told her what happened. Sarah was playing in the driveway and her mom was in a hurry to go to the store. She backed up and rolled her car over Sarah not realizing what she had done until the car was out of the driveway. Sarah never had a chance. She didn't even have time to react to the car.

The class stood up, Mr. Whyte nudged her. They were singing "amazing grace, how sweet the sound". But Olivia couldn't sing. She had seen Sarah's mom looking straight at her. Olivia couldn't break the eye contact. She forgot to sing. She just stared back.. Mr. Whyte nudged her again. The song was done. She heard someone say "On behalf of class, teachers, faculty and everyone at St. Agnes Primary School". Mr. Whyte had a large wreath in his hand. He was waiting for her to stand up.

Olivia stood up, she walked past Sarah's mom and dad but she couldn't look at them. The butterflies in her tummy were going crazy. Her head was pounding. As she got closer to the casket...the more scared she got.
"God I beg you, please, please help me"
She could see the white coffin closely now. Little purple and white flowers were hanging down like a pretty skirt all around the coffin. Sarah would love those flowers too. Wait, are my flowers good enough? she thought in a panic. Her hands felt sweaty. It was now or never. She walked up to coffin looked down at Sarah arms. They looked heavy and sort of bluish purple. Olivia placed the flowers first, then the teddy bear, making sure not to touch the bare arms. Sarah was wearing the light purple dress she wore at her birthday party in March. She had turned 9.

"Olivia aren't you gonna say goodbye?"
That was Sarah's voice. Olivia turned her head slightly and looked at the body in the casket. It didn't look like Sarah. Her hair was curled all around her face. Sarah hated that hairstyle. She had makeup on, lots of it. Her head was sort of swollen. Olivia couldn't look at her face anymore. Instead she concentrated Sarah's necklace. It was a pretty silver chain with little tiny silver bells that tinkled. She had given it to Sarah on her 7th birthday and Sarah never took it off.

"I'm sorry Sarah. I don't want you to go. I want you to stay and be my friend. Why did you have to die? How come you didn't see the car? I hate her you know."

Olivia turned around and ran as fast as she could out of the funeral parlor. Tears were streaming down her face. She couldn't breathe. She felt the arms of her aunt around her, Gran wiped her face. She felt light on her feet. She couldn't see clearly thru her tears. Sweat was running down her face and her body. Someone was giving her water, someone was fanning her, she was walking towards the car. As she sat down in front of the a/c vent, she turned and looked at the church. Sarah was standing there holding the teddy bear and smiling at her. Olivia fainted.

It was late afternoon when Olivia woke up. The house was quiet. Gran was sleeping in her chair next to Olivia's bed. Mom was sitting by the window looking out. "You're finally awake.? said mom. "Are you hungry?" Drink some water honey." "Don't worry about what happened at the church today, everyone understands. It was hot and that stupid dress was too thick for the weather. Sarah's mom sent a package for you. I opened it already, I know you wouldn't have mind. It was very nice of her to think of you when she is going thru such a horrible time. I feel so bad for that woman. I can only imagine her guilt. You know she sent you some of Sarah's clothes but I am not too keen on you wearing any of it. I wouldn't want Michelle to see you in Sarah's clothes, it might open up wounds that need to be healed.?

Mom placed a pretty purple box on the bed. It was the photo box in which Sarah kept all her favorites things. In it there was a picture taken of Sarah and Olivia at the beach, there were more pictures of Sarah and Olivia, playing together, at school and from Sarah's party. Under the pictures was Sarah's favorite book. "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton. It was a book that Olivia had always wanted. Sarah had let borrow it many times, but it was a book she wanted to own. There was also some costume jewelry in the box, things that Sarah and Olivia used to play dress up with. And lastly were some pressed cherry tree blossoms that Sarah had kept from the tree in the backyard. Olivia covered the box and placed in on the shelf next to her bed. Gran had woken and busy fussing that Olivia hadn't eaten all day. As Gran and mom left the room to go bring her back something to eat, a shadow passed over the bed.

The hairs on Olivia's arms stood on end. A light fragrance of rotten cherry blossoms filled the room. Olivia looked around. There was no one there. Gran returned with her food and sat down next to Olivia. The scent of rotten cherry blossoms got stronger. Olivia couldn't taste the food. She wanted to puke. Gran made her lie down and whispered some sort of prayer over her before taking the food away. In the dark corner of the room, a figure was slowly emerging. The scent of rotten cherry blossoms was heavy in the air.

"Gran!! Mom!! Granny!!!!" screamed Olivia.
"What is that awful smell?" she asked.
"What smell are you talking about child?" said mom "I don't smell anything?"
But Granny was looking around the room, sniffing the air. "I'll spend the night in Olivia's room" said Gran quietly as she opened the curtains and the windows. But the scent of rotten cherry blossoms never left the room.

That night Olivia couldn't sleep well. She kept having dreams of Sarah. Sarah playing under the cherry tree. Sarah playing in the driveway. Sarah sitting on her bed playing with the teddy bear. Each time she woke, the scent of rotten cherry blossoms filled the room. Gran didn't seem to sleep well either. She kept mumbling words that Olivia couldn't make out or understand. In the morning when Mom came in her room, Olivia was sitting on the bed under the covers. Mom shook Gran, but Gran didn't wake up. Olivia could hear Mom beginning to panic. She called Aunty into the room. Olivia stayed under the covers. She didn't want to see what was happening. She didn't want to know. Someone came and carried her, covers and all into the livingroom. Paramedics had arrived and took Gran to hospital. Mom told her that Gran had a stroke but that she was going to be just fine. "Don't worry Olivia, Gran will be home sooner than you know, I am going to the hospital to stay with her but Aunty will be home." Now a lot of people are going to come to check on Gran's status, be nice to everyone and please don't get in your Aunty's way. You can stay in your room and read if you like if you don't want to see anyone. Be good okay."

Olivia picked up her covers and walked back into her room. It seemed normal enough. She made her bed, opened the windows and curtains and placed Gran's chair near the bed again. The chair had felt cold when she touched it. Olivia laid on her bed and started to cry. Everything was wrong. Sarah was gone and now Gran was sick and in the hospital. She cried quietly to herself until she fell asleep.

Someone was touching her hair, pulling it one strand at time off her face. Olivia opened her eyes. There was nothing there except for the scent of rotten cherry blossoms. The scent was so heavy, Olivia felt that she would get a headache from it. She looked around and her eyes fell on the box. That explains it, thought Olivia. It must be the pressed cherry blossoms. She opened the box and took out the blossoms and threw them out of the window. Her eyes then fell on the book. She picked it up and opened it to the cover page. To her shock and surprise there was a message written in the book
"Sarah and Olivia best friends. Forever and Ever." The scent of rotten cherries seem to permeate from the very pages of the books. A darkness fell over the room, waves of nausea passed over Olivia. When she looked up, Sarah was sitting in Gran's chair smiling at her. Olivia screamed and passed out.

"Olivia, you must get up honey! Just look at you. Your eyes have sunk into your head child. You need to get up and eat, take a shower, go outside and get some sunshine!"
"Olivia, you haven't eaten anything in three days. You cannot sleep all day and night."
"Come on Olivia, you can go see Gran today. She is much better now and will be home soon"
"Olivia? Olivia are you listening to me child?" Mom was saying.

Olivia slowly opened her eyes. As she focused her gaze on Mom who leaning over her, she could see Sarah from the corner of the eyes standing next to her bed. Olivia screamed. She screamed and screamed and screamed. Mom was crying. Aunty was in a panic, calling someone on the phone. The scent of nauseating smell of rotten cherries was encompassing her. As she closed her eyes. The dreams started. Sarah was in every dream. They were playing, they were going to school together. They were wearing the same purple dress. Sarah was everywhere. Olivia couldn't hide from Sarah. They were playing under the cherry tree and the white blossoms were slowly falling down on them like fresh snow.

"We're best friends right Olivia? You asked me to stay and play with you didn't you?" asked Sarah as she put cherry blossoms in her friend's hair.
"Yes" Olivia replied quietly.
"Good, then I will be with you all the time Olivia. Forever and ever."

Three more days had passed when Gran finally returned home. Aunty wheeled her into the room where Olivia laid on the bed. Olivia had lost a significant amount of weight. Her hair was plastered to her skull from the heavy sweating that accompanied her fevers. An IV hung near the bed keeping her hydrated, yet she was slowly pining away. Her doctor had performed a battery of tests on her, unable to find anything medically wrong with her, he had allowed Mom to keep her at home. When Olivia was awake, she only complained of the scent of rotting cherry blossoms. She couldn't eat. She screamed for what seemed to be no reason at all. Mom had to sit by her bed every night because she was suddenly experiencing bouts of sleepwalking. Gran held Olivia's hand lightly with her own weak hand. She was watching her only granddaughter die right in front of her eyes and she knew the reason why.

The next day, Gran sent for an old mystic who lived in the area. The mystic was known as Guruji. He was a very old man, with long white hair and beard. He wore only white clothes and people said that he yogi who had traveled from India over a 100 years ago. As Guruji walked into the house, he was assaulted with what seemed like a strong wind from within the house. He immediately advised Gran that a spirit was occupying the house with the intentions of taking someone with it. Gran allowed Guruji into Olivia's room. Guruji said his prayers and then sat on the foot of Olivia's bed. He didn't look at Olivia however, he stared past her and kept his gaze on Sarah and began to chant. As he chanted, Olivia woke up. She could see Gran in her wheelchair, eyes closed tightly praying. She could see Mom and Aunty crying and praying near the doorway. She saw Sarah screaming and yelling at the old man who sat on her bed. Sarah was begging her to stop, screaming that she would hurt him, but words seemed to have no effect on the old man. Guruji kept chanting and he placed a hand on Olivia head. She felt herself getting sleepy, and for the first time since Sarah's funeral she slept without dreaming.

When Olivia woke the following day, Guruji was still by her side. The room was bright and sunny and there was no fragrance of rotting cherry blossoms. Guruji explained to Olivia that Sarah can no longer be her friend in this world and the only way they could remain friends was if Olivia was to die. He told Olivia that he nor her family could allow her to die, because she was destined for great things in her life. He had taken the box and all the items that Sarah's mom had sent and burnt them. He provided a talisman for Olivia to wear and teached her secret mantras to protect her from personal attacks. Guruji advised Olivia that Sarah will still hang around from time to time, waiting for any chance to take her to the other side and that Sarah's power will increase whenever Olivia let her guard down. He told her that Sarah was not evil, just a lonely child who was a bit selfish and misguided.

For several days, Olivia still couldn't eat. The only thing she could stomach was water blessed by Guruji. At different times during the day, she would get a whiff of rotten cherry blossoms, but she would say her mantras and the scent would go away. Olivia soon recovered and grew up to be a healthy, happy young woman. Gran, Mom, and Aunty are all still around however they don't like to talk about what happened. Guruji last visited them on Olivia's 18th birthday. If the story is true, he would have been over 120 years by then, but Olivia had no way of verifying his age. He looked exactly the same. On occasion, Olivia still smells the scent of rotten cherry blossoms, but she is no longer scared. She knows that her best friend is waiting for her. Forever and ever.

edited question mark glitch that replaced quotes.

[edit on 9-14-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Beautiful story my friend, very immersive, very realistic, very well written. You have a talent for writing and a way with words, use this gift.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
thank you for your kind words intrigue, they are very much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
where's the criticism? if you have taken the time to read this story, could you please spare me a comment...good or bad..I would be in appreciation. thanks

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Heh.... comments don't come easy to writers 'ere. The most I think I've ever gotten was like 12 on the ATS story, which was constantly bumped due to chapter updates. After a nap, I think I might actually do that again...

Oh yeah, your story. Good to see another competitor. Well, let's see... *scans your story*

Hmm. Well written and characterized. The middle is nice and creepy, and the end has an interesting twist. I like it.

DE

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
thanks DeusEx,

but I wouldn't consider myself as a writer or much competition to you. I'm just trying to get some words out my head, (free up some memory) Your story is way better, totally entralling and even a little seductive. I felt like I was on the bridge, when I read it.

I actually had written this story in 3 different perspectives, one in Grandma's view (much scarier) and one also in Mom's view (scary too), maybe it will be my famous "unpublished" book.. haha

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Great story. I'm planning on writing something for the contest as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Moved thread here from paranormal forum.

Interesting story worldwatcher.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Wow! Good story. Thanks for sharing.....

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
thanks all and thanks ProudAmerican for putting it in the right place.

vanishingpoint, looking forward to reading yours too.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hi WW!!

Very interesting, very well written, with believable characters. I particualrly liked the way you ended the story... "Forever and ever". Amen. No, I'm not being supercilious here, or irreligous, but felt that ending was like a prayer to the "lost" soul - but who would be there, eventually, to be rejoined with her friend in Life. It would be nice to know there *was* someone waiting, wouldn't it?

Excellent stuff - there's going to be a tough job for John and (possibly) his team of adjudicators!! ("Make 'em earn their keep", says Merididian Love!!

Thanx WW!! Good job!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Excellent story, worldwatcher.
Well written, good use of language and very descriptive.

It was a pleasure to read it. I hope you'll be posting more of your stuff.

regards
flc

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
(blushes) awwwh thanks.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Nice story, worldwatcher.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
WW~
I know this thread is almost 2 years old, but I came across the link on a newer thread...

This is an awesome story! It is very penetrating--that's the only word I can think of to describe how it made me feel to read it. Like it happened to me, so real and so deep.

The kind of creepy that isn't upsetting, just lingering. Just like the cherry blossoms, I guess.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
thanks queenannie

you might also enjoy reading Part two of the story
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I meant to write it in my grandmother's perspective too, but she still up to this day doesn't like to discuss those events with me.

and my mom, keeps telling me, one day..one day...but i don't think she will talk about it either and my other aunt (the one I called Rosa in the story) thinks that talking about it will bring it back again somehow and denies me any discussion about what happen twenty some odd years ago.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I will read the second half! Thanks!

I knew this was you--waited till you said something, though. A story like that, written so well and convincingly is only done from the first person. That's what it makes it linger with a person.

And what do you do with an event such as that--especially when the others who were there are so uncomfortable with it? Your mama and grandma love you so much, it probably is unbearable to go their in their minds--maybe they never got over the death that caused the whole thing. What I mean is, it scared them to death just how she died and identifying with the poor mother, I do, too

But I'll shut up till I read the second part!

top topics

join