It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autocopter Gunship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
www.defensereview.com...

You can click on the link to see the specs and the weapon that the platform is carrying. Its pretty neat to have something that may have potential for the Army and Marines with the ability to hover and do recon and attack any potential targets. Currently the U.S. Army use those small fix wing aircraft that fly only less then an hour and have to maneuver to get a good look and are unarmed. Not to mention can't handle firing weapons since they are too light and too unstable to to withstand the recoil while this aircraft could perhaps do it.

I'm telling you Skynet is coming.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Is that an Autogyro? If so surely it cant hover at all as its the forwards movement that keep the main rotor turning?
I cant see any main motor

Looks mean though doesnt it? I bet its in a James Bond Film soon !

EDIT
My apologies Ive just seen it is powered
Its the 'Auto' bit that made me think of an Autogyro

[edit on 16/8/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well something very similar to this was actually in a James Bond game called Nightfire. The helicopter in that seemed more capable on the surface with both machine guns and four heatseeking missiles, but the frag rounds on the shotguns from this are probably more effective. So the AutoCopter is beyond anything I've seen in fiction so far.

It's a fantastic idea but I do have a few ideas on how to improve the system.

1. Perhaps a purpose built firing mechanism would be better, one that doesn't require an exposed trigger to be used. At the very least cover the trigger mechanism.
  2. Interchangable weapons. For example, a 7.62 machine gun for better ammo capacity.
  3. Movable guns with their own video sights for improved accuracy and independent targeting.
  4. Ability to mount a Stinger missile or two in place of the shotguns for the ultimate anti-aircraft surprise.
  5. Laser designator for targeting air strikes without risking infantry.
  6. A chainsaw. Probably not all that effective but I'll be damned if a flying chainsaw wouldn't scare half to death.
  7. An electric motor in place of the kerosene engine, hopefully granting longer flying time comparable to UAV's like the Predator and Reaper.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Is this a toy? Is it a gimmick?

Helicopter mounted 12 guage shotguns?

Where's the lethality in that?

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
wouldnt a couple rounds with an AK-47
or some other weapon neutralize this chopper?

and a shot gun its leathal distance must suck

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Am I right in thinking the shotguns would have a fair bit of recoil? That little helicopter is gonna end up going backwards!

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then Am I right in thinking the shotguns would have a fair bit of recoil? That little helicopter is gonna end up going backwards!

No it wont, 'cause it'll be flying through it's own buckshot!

As far as I'm concerned, a couple of flying shotguns are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle, or a chocolate fireguard, or even tits on a bull!

Unless of course, anybody knows differant?

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Are those USAS 12's attached to the sides? Jesus that's crazy....

Wouldn't the recoil send that thing flying backwards whenever it took a shot?

Edit: Ahh MPS AA-12's, should really read the article first :p

[edit on 17/8/07 by Chupa101]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be easier to train Goshawks to drop hand grenades on designated target.

Not the best UAV out there that I've seen. I'd like to see it on a full on fire mission though just for a giraffe!

MonKey.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
A good idea and a long time coming but this one, as it is, won't work.
I think stability might be in question with the guns mounted as they are, i thought you could have guns with the shell ejectors either side.
Also the guns would have to be fired at the same time or it would difficult to control and, it would have to be fairly close to the targets if it's got the 12 bores.
A silent engine would be better for silence aspect, and why not use a different firearm like a Heckler or an Uzi

[edit on 17-8-2007 by meurig]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Actually those AA-12 are supposed to be the mildest recoiling shotguns available as the have "continous cycle" gas system.

And i think this could be a very potent crowd control tool, if armed with teargas or rubber pellets. (or buckshots if collaterals are not an issue
)

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Also it would pay to remember that the US military did spend an awful lot of money on the CAWS system by HK. Which was in fact a project designed to turn a 12 gauge shotgun into a lethal instrument out to 100 plus meters. A large portion of that funding went to developing different rounds for a shotgun type weapon, Specifically rounds that were more lethal beyond 30 yards heh.

My guess is with a load of flechettes this thing would be a hellishly efficient infighter, and the end of the slit trench as an effective cover.

The point of these systems is to provide on demand light aerial fire suppression on a platoon or squad level, in that particular area this product or it's next generation would excel. Considering that it is based off of fairly close to hobby grade engines servos etc. I do agree however that it needs the capabillity to mount more than just paired shotties. Luckilly though recoilless weapon technology is finally becoming light enough to be practical for things like this, so you never know...

If they were really good boy and girl marines all year maybe they could ask santa claus to load it up with dual aussie style OICW's. Which are basically steyr aug paras with a top mounted metal storm 3 shot 40mm grenade launcher.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
i wont 1!! i think a pair of p90's (50rnd mag) would be better or Calico m950's ( 100rnd mag)as they have down facing ejector ports and good amo counts.

Take a looky at the links bellow

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join