It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATHEISM: The Stupidest Religion of All

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Atheism is a religion. Whether it fits technically with the semantics or not is not a concern of mine; the practical definition of religion is what matters to me, not the letter of the law. And the practical definition, distasteful though it may be to those who disdain religion in all its forms, is that the very thing most atheists hate is what they have become: a religion, with clearly defined rules, eschatology and a philosophy by which to live. Religion is a means of understanding our existence. Atheism fits that bill. Religion is a philosophy of life. So is atheism. Religions have its leaders, the preachers of its tenets. So does atheism (Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx). Religion has its faithful believers, who guard the orthodoxy of the faith. So does atheism. And religion is a matter of faith, not certainty.

Atheism is a conspiracy to control you by making you think you�re free of religion, when in reality; you�re just another religious puppet.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
i think religion is more closley tied in with politics then any philosophy about life..lol...i dont know many athiests that align themselves with lenin and marx..lol..thats like saying hitler was a christian leader..or how about osama..does he represent all the muslims...atheism is the absence of religion, in all forms...no worshipping,no stupid traditions started by MAN..not jesus....atheism is the opposite of religion...besides..if you classify it as a religion..why is it the stupidist in your opinion???? i think the realians are fairly stupid aswell

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
hyper,

considering discussions I have had in the past year on this subject I have to agree with the gist of your thread here.

how ironic.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I take it this does not apply to agnostics.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I would have to disagree. I'm an athiest. I don't attend church. I don't live my life in fear of some imaginary omnipotent being. None of my money goes to a church. I do what I want. Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx aren't my leaders, their words hold no sway over me nor do they helm a church. I don't follow any guide lines that someone set up for me, and if religion is a matter of faith not certainty well, I'm certain that there's no "God".

Main Entry: re�li�gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re�li�gion�less adjective

There's the real definition, it doesn't resemble yours too much though.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Oddly enough, I don't think you'll see people killing in the name of Atheism, nor going door to door to try and convert others....

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Oddly enough, I don't think you'll see people killing in the name of Atheism, nor going door to door to try and convert others....

No you won't.

P.S. Love the new avater Gaz.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Atheism is a conspiracy to control you by making you think you�re free of religion, when in reality; you�re just another religious puppet.

who are the vast majority of atheists a pupput of???who is gaining anything from this "conspiracy"..do you have any info on this atheist "conspiracy" set out to control the weak??? intersting that i have never seen any atheist churchs..no dues to pay..no words to speak daily..no atheist preacher hotlines to call....if their is any particular atheist organization that is set out to control the atheist population ..how are the accomplishing this??? they dont have any atheist bibles to hand out on the street,..no weekly services you can visit..no atheist preachers on tv sunday mornings..
lenin and marx were foremost communists with atheist beliefs......the POLITICS may have included some anti-religious points but they were all about communism..spreading that around forcefully..much like the christian missionaries....but all this has little to do with any person who is in their home..pondering the meaning of life and the point of it all...then they sometimes come to the conclusion that god does not exist..what does that have to do with any ateist-"conspiracy". just wondering

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by McGotti]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The Amish don't go door-to-door or kill...are they not religious?

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

No, agnostics are more into pure science.

Atheism and other religions are based on faith that they are right.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
hyperspace..you still have not said why you believe ---- "ATHEISM: the stupidist religion of all"

if it even were a religion i dont think its any stupider than any of the many other ORGANIZED religions..atheism isnt organized as far as i know

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist, and I see this thread as a big rant to stir things up. Hyperspace, acknowledge your opinions and , personally, I can't help but see dislike if not hatred towards atheism for some reason.

Heres a definintion for everyone:

atheism

\A"the*ism\, n. [Cf. F. ath['e]isme. See Atheist.] 1. The disbelief or denial of the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.

Atheism is a ferocious system, that leaves nothing above us to excite awe, nor around us to awaken tenderness. --R. Hall.

Atheism and pantheism are often wrongly confounded. --Shipley.

2. Godlessness.
Thanks, Forth Edition American Heritage� Dictionary of the English Language

Also if you like to read and are open minded go ahead and visit this site that goes on more about the whole definition thing.

I have never heard of lodges, groups or whatever you want to call it full of athiests trying to convert the masses. Worshiping.. wait. Large groups of athiests trying to convert the masses to believe in "Godlessness". Attending specific days.. ok thats not going work either. I don't know what other people know or have seen, but I'm unaware of an Athiest religion worshiping "Godlessness" and spreading the "word" and no one, not even you, have convinced me of that yet.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

Well, just ruminating and speculating off hyper's original post...

No, it would not apply to agnostics.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
hyperspace..you still have not said why you believe ---- "ATHEISM: the stupidist religion of all"

if it even were a religion i dont think its any stupider than any of the many other ORGANIZED religions..atheism isnt organized as far as i know

It�s the stupidest because it �preaches� against the belief in something you can�t prove (God), when it (atheism) can�t prove that God doesn�t exist. To be an atheist, you must have faith.

Yes, it�s organized. American Atheists from www.atheists.org..., Atheist Alliance from www.atheistalliance.org..., etc...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well thats news to me and probably a lot of other people I would think.

I believe it comes down to each and every one athiest when it matters. You can be mad/disagree/argue/protest at an organization, but that organization might not have the same train of beliefs as other athiests. I think this discussion should go beyond the organizations that "preach" and actually bring in other athiest. If not I see this thread quite meaningless

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd
Hyperspace, acknowledge your opinions and , personally, I can't help but see dislike if not hatred towards atheism for some reason.

What gave you the idea?
This maybe:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperspace

It�s the stupidest because it �preaches� against the belief in something you can�t prove (God), when it (atheism) can�t prove that God doesn�t exist. To be an atheist, you must have faith.

Yes, it�s organized. American Atheists from www.atheists.org..., Atheist Alliance from www.atheistalliance.org..., etc...

It doesn't preach anything because none of us are preaching. Also, I could use most of your arguements against atheism on any real religion. You're just waisting everyones time.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   
that hardly makes it a organized religion IMO..

HYPERSPACE...do you think it is possible for people to not believe in god and not be part of a religion??

besides...atheism is more common sense based instead of "faith" based.

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by McGotti]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd
that organization might not have the same train of beliefs as other athiests.

What religion (including atheism) doesn�t have many trains (or �sects�) of beliefs, MrRadical?

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by Hyperspace]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
No offense meant but I often see atheists mentioned by satanists in their master plans.

Much writing has surfaced indicating that satanists see conversion to their faith happening more from the ranks of the atheistic than any other group.

Why would they believe that?

Anyways I see no reason that an atheist is more likely to become a satanist than to do anything actually but again many satanists believe this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join