It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do Brits put up with this?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Police call for remote button to stop cars
observer.guardian.co.uk...

"After speed cameras, road humps and mobile phone bans, there could be more bad news for Britain's motorists. Police are urging Ministers to give them the power to stop vehicles by remote control."

I'd go nuts at these people, let alone the damn speed cameras.

The worst we got out here is the ones on the sidea the road that display your speed.

But a button that shuts off your car?! and it's CONTROLLED BY THE GOVERNMENT?!

imagine what will happen when this gets into the hands of criminals! (and don't say i wont happen. it will)

As an American, i say Brits! Stand up and just say, "HELL NO!" And do not let this idlelly get passed.

What i fear the most is, when the liberals in this country, who marvel at Britains gun control laws, will see this and demand it here also.

So please, Brits, stand up, and fight this bullsh|t. Not just for me, but for more inportantly, YOU!

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Did i mention, at the bottom of the page, its says how, they want to control the speed YOUR CAR goes, in bad weather, school zones, and limit YOUR CARS top speed?

Best of all, at the very end it says,

"Experts now believe the technology could start to be used voluntarily by the end of the decade and ultimately could be made mandatory. "

Wonderful, ain't it?

If you don't think so, FIGHT IT!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, it looks even grimmer over there, not that things here look any better. The worlds going to hell in a handbasket.

Parents told: shouting at youth football matches is child abuse
www.sundayherald.com...

And hail to the police state,
Also,
"Under new rules, parents who give lifts to the children of neighbours or friends of their own child may also have to undergo police checks."

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem
As an American, i say Brits! Stand up and just say, "HELL NO!" And do not let this idlelly get passed.

Thanx for the news Being - I must admit I didn't hear about this before!! ie it certainly isn't BIG news at the moment in UK, to my knowledge??

However, Mr Hammond, the police man who suggested this scheme, certainly seems to be "active" with his car vendetta:

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Please *don't* think us Brits will just lay down and take it - I'm sure there'll be some interesting debates to come!!

Thanx again - I'm off to spam my local MP and the AA!!

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Sometimes there are times when you need to floor it, to avoid an accident. Such remote, and computer controls over a machine on which your very life hangs in the balance, isn't just not a good idea, but a STUPID idea....

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I actually think it's a good idea.
Seen too many accidents by boy-racers ruin other people's lives to give a # about their personal freedoms.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by �any
I actually think it's a good idea.
Seen too many accidents by boy-racers ruin other people's lives to give a # about their personal freedoms.

Yeah, lets do that, and NOT HOLD ANYONE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS!

Don't force the people to suffer from the failure in the courts to commit to justice, and common law. By suppessing their de jure rights!

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Basically us brits dont put up with it we are tired of this government and these crappy laws they have on guns, cars etc etc the people of Britain have fought enough to keep the laws 'reasonable' but the governemtn doesnt liesten to us so we are tired of fighting so we give up and just let them do what they want, Soon enough we wont be able to do anything in this country

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Removal of free will by Man's authority. This is looking more and more like the end times. Wait until they bring up the microchip implants for children. Likely to be voluntary at first (like US social security numbers) and then will become mandatory. There's little you can do to stop what's coming. The choice will ultimately come down to whether you want to live in this type of society or not. Lots of "security" or at least the implication that you're secure, but freedom fades away.

I encourage you all to seek the spiritual for that is where the last battle will REALLY be fought.

Peace,

+Jammer

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HazardToxic
Basically us brits dont put up with it we are tired of this government and these crappy laws they have on guns,

Uhmm, You have a problem with our gun laws?

OK, for our population we have a very high level of gun crime (nothing compared to the US but highest in Europe) but that is nothing to do with the laws, that is because guns are available! How the # can something, made only to kill, be available to the public, at any level!??

Maybe you would prefer we adopted Americas gun laws?

Or perhaps you are after freedom to use deadly force and firearms. I dont know where you live but I live in the city with the highest gun crime in Britain (Manchester) and I have lived in the town, in my city that had teh highest gun crime in MAnchester (no doubt you have heard of MOss Side) and I have seen and heard enough to have a life long hatred of firearms and anyone who is for them.

On topic.

Have a ride through the streets of Britain and you will see hundreds of speed cams but look a little closer and you will see that the lenses are sprayed over, blocked off or in some cases the whole camera has been cut down or reversed over by a truck which actually happened last week.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by triplesod]

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod

Originally posted by HazardToxic
Basically us brits dont put up with it we are tired of this government and these crappy laws they have on guns,

Uhmm, You have a problem with our gun laws?

OK, for our population we have a very high level of gun crime (nothing compared to the US but highest in Europe) but that is nothing to do with the laws, that is because guns are available! How the # can something, made only to kill, be available to the public, at any level!??

Maybe you would prefer we adopted Americas gun laws?

Or perhaps you are after freedom to use deadly force and firearms. I dont know where you live but I live in the city with the highest gun crime in Britain (Manchester) and I have lived in the town, in my city that had teh highest gun crime in MAnchester (no doubt you have heard of MOss Side) and I have seen and heard enough to have a life long hatred of firearms and anyone who is for them.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by triplesod]

Here in Apache Junction Arizona we carry our shootin iron openly and proudly in the grand traditions of the American West. The only killing done here is done by the police. An armed citizenry is a constant deterrent to crime and despotism.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The problem in most crime ridden areas is that THE BAD GUYS HAVE ALL THE GUNS. This is true even in areas where total gun control is in place. WHEN EVERY GOOD CITIZEN IS ARMED CRIME WILL GO DOWN.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
The problem in most crime ridden areas is that THE BAD GUYS HAVE ALL THE GUNS. This is true even in areas where total gun control is in place. WHEN EVERY GOOD CITIZEN IS ARMED CRIME WILL GO DOWN.

I agree with your first part, definately but I would rather say "when NO_ONE is armed, crime will go down"

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   
To think that you could achieve a society where no one is armed is a noble THOUGHT...

Problem is the bad guys will ALWAYS get weapons and after you totally disarm the GOOD guys (who, by the way, are the ONLY people that will actually turn their guns in when ordered to by law) you just gave complete advantage to the scum.

I live in Dallas, Texas, a few years ago Texas passed a concealed carry law, which means you can carry a hidden gun AFTER a complete background check is done on you and you get training from the cops.

Our violent crime rate has DROPPED every year since the law was enacted. The bad guys no longer know who IS and who is NOT packing heat. They think twice before jumping someone for his money or his woman.

Before this law was passed the ONLY people carrying were the bad guys.

PEACE...
m...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Have a ride through the streets of Britain and you will see hundreds of speed cams but look a little closer and you will see that the lenses are sprayed over, blocked off or in some cases the whole camera has been cut down or reversed over by a truck which actually happened last week.

ive heard about this, seems some brits are sick of being controlled, and continuously being spied on. I support them, however, i can only support vandalism as a last resort.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Britain is the prime example of a government gone nuts without the presence of a coordinated opposition.

Its rather ironic that David Blunkett, aka Lord Draconian is a card carrying member of amnesty international.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
yep, this country sure is the pits. thats why i'm gonna wave goodbye to it soon (in the footsteps of many others).

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Britain is the prime example of a government gone nuts without the presence of a coordinated opposition.

Its rather ironic that David Blunkett, aka Lord Draconian is a card carrying member of amnesty international.

This to Springer.

Ofg course, I xcan totally understand where you are coming from. But what I say is, Is a society which needs firearms a good society in any way whatsoever?

We come from different backgrounds, I am sure that shootings rarely make teh local news in your areas (incidentally, any shooting in MAnchester, Liverpool, Birmingham do not make the news here becuse they are not London and therefore not important enough!). But here Guns are seen to be a last resort of military action or used in the last attempt of desperate criminmals. We have not been brought up to see the gun as a household item.

To me, a society which needs to arm themselves has such an extensive amount of problems it will take years to fix.

Teh situation right now in our country and yours (yours admittedly is more extreme) perhaps needs this protection but that doesnt mean to say that life is good because we can protect ourselves. It says only that life is # because we need to take such measures to protect ourselves.

I am sorry for the way this post has appeared, I have been in the pubv all day!

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by triplesod]

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

This to Springer.

Ofg course, I xcan totally understand where you are coming from. But what I say is, Is a society which needs firearms a good society in any way whatsoever?

We come from different backgrounds, I am sure that shootings rarely make teh local news in your areas (incidentally, any shooting in MAnchester, Liverpool, Birmingham do not make the news here becuse they are not London and therefore not important enough!). But here Guns are seen to be a last resort of military action or used in the last attempt of desperate criminmals. We have not been brought up to see the gun as a household item.

To me, a society which needs to arm themselves has such an extensive amount of problems it will take years to fix.

Teh situation right now in our country and yours (yours admittedly is more extreme) perhaps needs this protection but that doesnt mean to say that life is good because we can protect ourselves. It says only that life is # because we need to take such measures to protect ourselves.

I am sorry for the way this post has appeared, I have been in the pubv all day!

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by triplesod]

There are not enough police to be able to respond immediately when you are in trouble. To ensure the safety of every individual all the time there would need to be a HUUUUGE number of police and they would need to be telepathic to boot! Nobody who is in their right mind looks forward to an armed confrontation with a dangerous criminal, but I would rather have that opportunity to defend myself on equal footing, rather than looking around for the telephone and running around dodging bullets while I dialed the number and waited for police arrive.( I really gotta learn to write shorter sentences.)

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I am in agreement with GroinGrinder!!!! There is no end to surprises in this life!

Groin, I couldn't have said it better my man! You NAILED it.

I would rather have LESS police and MORE responsible citizens who are willing to protect themselves and their families anyway...

Triplesod, I think you are right, it's a matter of background. Our heritage is gun friendly due to our wilderness beginnings, the early settlers fired guns at wild animals a hell of a lot more than they ever did at other men.

Every house had a Winchester or a Remington over the fireplace back in the early 1800's.

In the 1700's we all had muskets to fend of you bloddy Brits!(I am 100% English so I can say that)

PEACE...
m...

[Edited on 12-26-2003 by Springer]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join