It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's Ranch House 'Far More Eco-Friendly' Than Gore's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Bush's Ranch House 'Far More Eco-Friendly' Than Gore's

Source Link: www.cnsnews.com

George Bush may be a nemesis of the global green movement and Al Gore its hero, but the president's home is arguably far more environmentally-friendly than the home of the man he defeated in the 2000 election.

Bush's "Western White House" in Crawford, Texas, has been praised as "an eco-friendly haven" while the former vice-president's home in Nashville, Tennessee was criticized this week for heavy power consumption.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Power: Gore Mansion Uses 20X Average Household Consumption

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
LoL, too much. Its like its election time or something.
How many houses does Bush have by the way? Is this his only one?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah and this was a point I was trying to make on the other thread about this non-issue... why aren't people blasting bush minor for backing policies that are so determintal to the environment while chosing to have such a green home?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Man I love these cookie-cutter "stories" designed to create right-wing talking points. I'd love to see the team of evil gnomes Karl Rove has in his basement cooking this stuff up.

I guess it works, the target audience just laps them up like cream

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It may be simply a talking point spin but...........

It highlights the hypocracy of many of these people esp. the Hollywood crowd (with a few exceptions) that practice the "do as I say not do as I do mentality.

Gore is just one of these hypocrites Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Gore is just one of these hypocrites

Had not had the privilege of reading that article. Interesting find indeed

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

USAToday.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yeah right they are looking into it :shk:

Meanwhile Bush is waking the walk rather then talking the talk as Gore is

[edit on 3/1/2007 by shots]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

ROFL! I don't call him easing EPA restrictions "walking the walk". I don't consider his support for Alaskan Oil drilling as Environmentally Sustainable.

Walking the walk indeed.

Don't make me puke.

I'm usually not into "shooting the messenger" but this snippit from CNSNews.com "about" page was quite interesting...

The Cybercast News Service was launched on June 16, 1998 as a news source for individuals, news organizations and broadcasters who put a higher premium on balance than spin and seek news that’s ignored or under-reported as a result of media bias by omission.

Sounds a lot like Fox News to me.

[edit on 1-3-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Here we go again, Proving my Ideology. OK you guys, if you want to keep shouting at each other and getting NOWHERE, whatever. You might need a working cast for your Google when you're done though. :shk:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is all great information and a nice companion thread to the one grover referenced. I especially like the previous comment about Bush walking the walk , while Gore only talks the talk. That was exactly the point I (and many others) made over and over again on the other thread. Unfortunately, the "Gore-o-philes"
went into standard demo spin control mode and attempted to defend Gore to the death.

Expect demo spin control masters logansrun and grover (oh, too late) to appear here momentarily with attempts to hijack and/or deflect this thread without offereing anything real to counter what the OP posted.

Speaking of that, one of logan's repeated arguments on the other thread was that Gore could be expected to have an energy-hog mansion because he was the ex-vice president. Well, consider that "logic" debunked, since the current president obviously does not have the same need for a huge private residence that Gore does. I'll even bet that the current vice president's house does not use the obscene amounts of resources that Gore's plantation does. Can't see either Bush or Cheney moving up to bigger houses after they leave office either.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I would like to point out that both sides of the coin are hypocrites. The governor of Kalifornia who has been on an environmental tear as of late sports no less 8 of the eco unfriendly trucks

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I would like to point out that both sides of the coin are hypocrites. The governor of Kalifornia who has been on an environmental tear as of late sports no less 8 of the eco unfriendly trucks

Oh, was either thread that got mentioned above about the governor of the People's Republic of California? But I'll briefly play along. Everyone knows that Arnold is the classic definition of a RINO (married to the Kennedy family, too). So, any resemblance to Gore's actual energy habits could hardly be unexpected.

But thanks for mentioning this.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'd hope GWB's Crawford ranch would be greener than Gore's mansion, given all the fresh bovine fertiliser that comes out of there

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The Bush house is a newly built house, while Gore's is very old, so it's only natural that it would be more energy efficient.

Still, I think Gore could probably make upgrades to his house to make it more energy efficient since he's asking everyone else (who have much less money than he does) to do so. It is hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Bush's ranch in Crawford is in the middle of a lot of acres of Not Very Much. I found a site about it:
cryptome.org...

It was bought in 1999 and built in 2000 or so, designed with modern efficiencies. This ain't his "traditional ranch that's been in the family." It's a showcase. His father's ranch ain't nearly so efficient.

I found shots of Gore's house (or supposed to be his house) in Nashville. Note that it's in the city, which is a LOT hotter than in the countryside. For the same sized house, bills will be much higher in the city:
pajamasmedia.com...

As others have said, the issue of global warming is real. We all need to do our part. I hope that if the press suddenly decided to investigate YOUR energy usage, that you would come out as a very efficient energy use spot.

Most of us can't claim that. It's somewhat hypocritical (as others have said) to point fingers.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Expect demo spin control masters logansrun and grover (oh, too late) to appear here momentarily with attempts to hijack and/or deflect this thread without offereing anything real to counter what the OP posted.

This coming from you? Thats real cute. As far as "spin control", you are at the top of my list.

Originally posted by centurion1211
Speaking of that, one of logan's repeated arguments on the other thread was that Gore could be expected to have an energy-hog mansion because he was the ex-vice president.

This was one argument I used, yes, but not the main one and certainly not the only one. Convenient for you that you ignored the dozens of other points brought up and you only cite the easiest one for you to attack and tear apart. It is kind of flattering however, that the people who hate Gore oh so much still find him to be so much of a threat that they have to engage in these petty, childish smear campaigns cuz you got nothing else. You dont have a chance in hell of producing a worthwile member of your party, so instead you attack Gore.

Every time you cited one of my points, you also took it out of context. Considering who you are in here, I guess that is par for the course for you.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Stuff like this needs to be pointed out. ALGORE is a self-centered hypocrite. With all this talk about "carbon credits," I sure hope there is never a food shortage. I guess it would be OK for ALGORE to over-eat, as long as other people voluntarily starved? Balance...yeah right!

Seems like the real enviromentalist was elected in 2000!

This whole Man-Made Global Warming thing is nothing but a way for anti-capitalist to introduce a Worldwide Carbon Tax. It's coming.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon_98760
This anonymous post is in response to ATS thread: Bush's Ranch House 'Far More Eco-Friendly' Than Gore's

Oh yes Bush is so concerned with saving energy

"We need an energy bill that encourages consumption."

-President Bush, Sept. 23, 2002, Trenton, New Jersey, speech

Hopefully anon_98760 will see this, register, and perhaps add further comment to the above.

Just thought I'd share this with those who, otherwise, may not have seen it.

$.02

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

USAToday.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yeah right they are looking into it :shk:

[edit on 3/1/2007 by shots]

Interesting how soon we forget. Did you even read your own article shots?

The very same link used in the OP

From source article

Gore and his wife, Tipper, "both work out of their house" and "have special security measures for an ex-vice president, all of which naturally increases the electricity use in the home," Roberts added.

Moreover, Gore "pays almost a 50 percent premium to buy the 'green power' offered from his electrical company," which generates its voltage from hydroelectric and nuclear power rather than coal, he said.

"If every national leader did as much as Al Gore does to ameliorate their impact on the climate, the world would be a much better place."

Hmm, which one is correct, CNS or USA today??? Decisions decisions, you cant pick and choose the info you want out of each article.

THAT being said, Bush's house is amazing. If I had that kind of money to build a house from the ground up, I would definately take a page from his book. Good on him for taking the initiative to do what we all should think about doing. Pity he does this only for himself though and has a completely different public view on the topic. In that case, yes I agree 100% with this thread that Bush's house is green. Hurray. To use that to smear Gore with his energy useage however is false and misleading. Again, you are comparing the energy use of an average american (that is one human being) to Gores entire entourage. I wonder what "public records" USA Today is referring to in Shot's quote above.

Nashville Electric Service - Green Power Link

From source link
How much does it cost? You can buy green power in 150-kilowatt-hour blocks (about 12 percent of a typical household's monthly energy use). Each block will add $4 to your monthly power bill. Green power cost more because the technology used to capture these renewable resources is more expensive than traditional power generation methods.

Does it really make a difference?

Two blocks of 480 lbs. of 1,766 lbs of

green power each = recycled aluminum or newspaper

month for a year (15,322 cans!)

The environmental impact of traditional energy sources like coal, natural gas, oil and nuclear power can be significant. Although no source of energy is impact-free, renewable resources create less waste and pollution. In fact, a green power investment of $8 per month on your electric bill is equivalent to not driving your car for four months.

I wonder what "public records" USA Today is referring to in which they claim Gore hasn't signed up for the green power.

Boston dot com

From source link

The group said that Gore used nearly 221,000 kilowatt hours last year and that his average monthly electric bill was $1,359. Johnson said his group got its figures from Nashville Electric Service.

But company spokeswoman Laurie Parker said the utility never got a request from the policy center and never gave it any information.

Whuaaa??!!?? Never got a request and never gave it any information??? How strange! I wonder if USA Today is using the same "public records" as the smear group did.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by anon_98760
This anonymous post is in response to ATS thread: Bush's Ranch House 'Far More Eco-Friendly' Than Gore's

Oh yes Bush is so concerned with saving energy

"We need an energy bill that encourages consumption."

-President Bush, Sept. 23, 2002, Trenton, New Jersey, speech

Hopefully anon_98760 will see this, register, and perhaps add further comment to the above.

Just thought I'd share this with those who, otherwise, may not have seen it.

$.02

I don't see a problem with that.

An energy bill that encourages consumption...as opposed to one that supresses consumption. If someone is freezing, would you want them to continue freezing, instead of using energy to warm themselves up, without the fear of choosing between heat and their next meal?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Oh, so we are going to play "which politician is a bigger hypocrite" now?

Come on people, have some respect, if not for yourselves or each others' political parties, at least for ATS.

This thread belongs on Above Politics, not what used to be ATSNN.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join