It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean.

The discovery marks the first time such a large body of water has found in the planet’s deep mantle

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Link

Guess this may give "some" credience to the hollow earth theory?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
mmm nice find MON while I'm not buying just yet........could there be oil under this subterrainian ocean?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I would'nt exactly call it an ocean.

It is large, yes, but no comparaeable to oceans in the way we think
of them.

In essence it's really just a very large bubble (well, no sphereical)
of water.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Isn't the mantle supposed to be mostly molten magma with the crust "floating" on top??? How can liquid water exist down there if that is the case?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Guess this may give "some" credience to the hollow earth theory?

I don't think so.

They say in that article that the "ocean" is inside the Mantle, that means it is just a (very large) pocket of water.

The same method they used to find the "ocean" would show any area with gas even better than an area with water, so they found water between the surface and the inner area of Earth, but they did not find any giant cave filled with air.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
Isn't the mantle supposed to be mostly molten magma with the crust "floating" on top??? How can liquid water exist down there if that is the case?

The boiling point of water depends on the pressure.

During many years this was the best way of knowing the altitude, measuring the temperature of boiling water would show what the pressure was, and knowing the pressure they could know the altitude.

That is also the principle of the pressure-cooker, the food is cooked at a higher temperature because of the pressure.

So yes, it is possible that there is water at high temperatures but liquid. Obviously, if someone could make a hole until it reached that water then it would get out at a very high pressure and temperature.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the info Armap. Hmmm....combined with Tesla turbines could this be a potential source of geothermal energy? As I recall one of the potential problems with geothermal energy was heat and corrosive gasses being hell on the turbines. Using steam as oposed to noxious gases may alleviate this problem, not to mention the inherent efficiency and resiliency of Tesla's design.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
mmm nice find MON while I'm not buying just yet........could there be oil under this subterrainian ocean?

Well isnt oil lighter than water? WOuldnt the oil be on top of any water?

Go ahead and laugh but I dont think oil is a fossil fuel, and IMO when it is found below the water table that bolsters my case.

Also I remember reading something in the Bible about seperating the earth from the waters.........

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yes, in Genesis,
Bible mentions that:

01O 1 6 And God said, Let there be a solid arch stretching over the waters, parting the waters from the waters.

That's the solid arch parting the waters(inner space) from the waters(outer space)

01O 1 7 And God made the arch for a division between the waters which were under the arch and those which were over it: and it was so.

The arch is earth's shell

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It isn't actually liquid water, just soft hydrated rock (concentration of about 0.1% water)

One of the most dramatic features in the Wysession et. al global mantle shear-wave attenuation model is a very high-attenuation anomaly at the top of the lower mantle beneath eastern Asia. This anomaly is believed due to water that has been pumped into the lower mantle via the long history of the subduction of oceanic lithosphere — crust and upper mantle — in this region. The left figure is a slice through the earth, showing the attenuation anomalies within the mantle. The location of the slice — red line in the upper right figure — is a map of the seismic attenuation at a depth of roughly 620 miles. In both images, red shows unusually soft and weak rock, and blue shows unusually stiff rock (yellow and white show near-average values). The two figures in the lower right are resolution tests to see if the data have the resolution to retrieve Earth structure in these parts of the Earth. The sharper the black-white transitions are, the better the resolution is. Credit: Washington University in St. Louis

www.physorg.com...

[edit on 1-3-2007 by melatonin]

top topics

join