It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Move Of Liquor Store Brings Protest From Local Mosque

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Possible Move Of Liquor Store Brings Protest From Local Mosque

Source Link: media. www.dailypennsylvanian.com

For students living on Beige Block, the potential move of the liquor store closer to the area may be a godsend.

But to Ahmed Rushdie, the news is nothing less than "insulting."

The Masjid Al-Jamia Mosque is located at 4228 Walnut St., while the Penn-Alexander school is at 4209

Rushdie, a professor in Penn's Near Eastern Language and Civilizations Department and a board member of Masjid Al-Jamia, says the move raises serious issues for Muslims in the area - under Islamic law, it is illegal for Muslims to consume alcohol.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/23/2007 by shots]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You post failed to mention, as was detailed in the article, that the proposed move would also bring the liquor store closer to a K-8 elementary school.

Great idea, let's bring potential drunk drivers and innocent children into even closer proximity!

And I suppose the fact that making liquor even more accessible to university students, many of whom are likely underage for alcohol consummption, is not worth your mention?

Or does it just not jive with your agenda?

[edit on 23-2-2007 by Bhadhidar]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

Or does it just not jive with your agenda?

I have no agenda and for your information there already is one liquor store near the school. The only differance as I understaqnd it is this one is state owned and the Muslims are not happy.

The year of the pig apparently is bring out the worst in them. They are terrorizing girls in the UK who will not Convert to Islam while forcing other demands on the government run school system that they want them to conform to more demands.

[edit on 2/23/2007 by shots]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
In Pennsylvania, all the liquor stores are owned and operated by the state government, not by for-profit companies or individuals, therefore I think the risk of selling to underage or already intoxicated persons is quite small. Obviously, those concerns are just a ruse brought up by the mosque, that apparently doesn't think their religion is strong enough to withstand the temptation of a liquor store across the street.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You post failed to mention, as was detailed in the article, that the proposed move would also bring the liquor store closer to a K-8 elementary school.

Great idea, let's bring potential drunk drivers and innocent children into even closer proximity!

Hang on... So someone who pop's in to buy a few beers after finishing work is now a "drunk driver"? Jeebus... he hasn't even consumed them, yet he is automatically a criminal because he bought some beer... How anal is that?

And I suppose the fact that making liquor even more accessible to university students, many of whom are likely underage for alcohol consummption, is not worth your mention?

What? University student's are underage? What kind of backward thinking is this? You can go to Uni yet you cannot drink.... Bloody hell....

I bet they can buy a gun though.....

Go figure..

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The article referenced in your post makes no mention of a liquor store pre-existant in the area.

Nor does your original post.

In fact, the gist of the article, as I read it, has less to do with an objection based on religious grounds than on the standards and welfare of the community.

But this normal and justifiable concern is not really reflected in neither the title nor content of your original posting.

Thus, I am lead to infer an ulterior motive for the posting.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The article referenced in your post makes no mention of a liquor store pre-existant in the area.

Nor does your original post.

Do not blame me because you failed to read the comments section. I told you there already is a store go to the original link. Follow thru to the comments section and read it.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Nobody is going to hold the Muslim community down and pour liquor down their throats, so any sort of religious objection seems a little overboard.

But....

Muslim groups are just as entitled to speak up on this as anyone else. There's all sorts of people that attend community planning meetings that I think are complete nutjobs, but that doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to their opinions.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well, the Muslims need to get over it and shut the F up.

If it's against your religion to drink, than simply don't drink.

Seriously though, I am really getting sick and tired of alot of these Muslims trying to change our culture when they moved here in the
first place.

new topics

top topics

join