It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow - Amazing Pictures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Has anyone seen this site before?

Tesladownunder

It has amazing pictures of science experiments with Tesla coils technology (right here in Australia). The second pic down on the main page with the electricity running in a circle around the car is just mindblowing.

Has anyone else here messed with this technology?

What do you guys reckon? Does this technology have much applicable uses in today's society?

- Naz

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Thank you for the link. Incredible pics.

That guy is Crazy! Even Forgetting the high voltages, I used to work with liquid nitrogen and it's scary stuff. I still can't quite believe he put his hand in some. Unbelievable.

Grey

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey_Pilgrim
Thank you for the link. Incredible pics.

That guy is Crazy! Even Forgetting the high voltages, I used to work with liquid nitrogen and it's scary stuff. I still can't quite believe he put his hand in some. Unbelievable.

Grey

Yeah I saw that one... I think it says it's a trick in the caption. I wonder what he does so it doesn't freeze his hand??

- Naz

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I've seen pictures (shown in Health and Safety lectures) of what liquid nitrogen can do to human limbs with very little exposure. It's not pretty. You should have seen the protective gear we had to wear before going anywhere near the stuff.

He says he only put his hand in for 0.5 second and that the gas surrounding his hand would partially prevent contact with the liquid. All true, but it was still a really stupid thing to do.

Grey

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
That is a great web site. I have it bookmarked.

As for liquid Nitrogen or any cryo liquids; As a firefighter I prefer a good rule of thumb. If you can put you arm up with your thumb in front of it and still see it, Your Too Close!

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Will there be a future headline that says he died in an accident? I hope he is not too cocky about it all. They pictures make good portfolios for getting into photography course at college but i doubt that is his ambition. Good luck to him he could actually make his own documentary hope he does.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I am Tesladownunder.
Just a couple of points. I have a wife and kids. Safety is paramount. This is not a Jackass website and things I do have to be safe as is reasonable. I have more risk riding my bicycle.
The LN2 hand dipping is safe and I have seen many people do it and read up about it. The LN2 will not "wet" your hand. Using a thin glove may even be more dangerous paradoxically and even a thick one if you leave it in for long enough.
What you must NOT do is allow anything solid at LN2 temp to touch you for then there will be no protective gas interface and rapid feezing will occur. This is how skin lesions are frozen on the skin by dipping a cotton stick in LN2.

And sanity??? Most people in my professional day job (not science related) view me as mild mannered and (hopefully) sensible. However it goes with the image. I was once top of the Mad Scientist's webring - an honor worn with pride.

And are Tesla coils useful. Of course not, but I am a lot better known around the world than I ever would have been otherwise with about 30,000 hits to my site in the last 2 weeks.

Tesladownunder

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS Tesladownunder!

I wish I could ask you something,but I dont understand electricity other than it makes the TV fridge PC etc work.

But WOW! those photo`s of yours are mind blowing.Whats your electricity bill like?

Great find nazgarn !

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
hi Tesladownunder great stuff! enjoyed the Eye of Sauron. i have a question..what do you think is the most interesting or unusual fact about Nikola Tesla? btw thanks naz for the link.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Electricity bill is dominated by my soldering iron which is on all the time. Compared with Tesla stuff which has been on for 10 mins max in the last 6 months. Tesla runs tend to be short and in my case just long enough for the photo. Otherwise you tend to burn through the tungsten contacts.
Actually current draw for the Tesla coil is only like two electric kettles, or one airconditioner, or 1/2 electric stove. But energy sparking through the air is a lot more impressive than hot water or cool air.

I am very firmly based in real science. I am not trying to find free energy, debunk conspiracy theories or believe in all Tesla has said. A lot of his stuff has not been shown to be realistic with our advantage of over 100 years of scientific background.
I am impressed that he created such a big Tesla coil with old technology. Of course three phase power and related things rate as his greatest contributions.

TDU

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Wow never thought the actual tesladownunder would be here. Now I sound cheeky the tone of it all has changed. How did you know about us speaking of you here?

All I am saying on safety is be careful, I guess we who see the pictures don't know the whole process and it looks worse than it looks. But even so with the recent crocodial hunter downunder Steve Irwin it's kind of in the forefront to comparisons of risks be it not Jackass-esque even if it was not as bad as it seemed. Hope you make some discoveries or art what ever you like to achieve. In some point in the past my abitions of home science was there and always wanted to make things float like magnets and come up with ideas. But guess you took that route and many have not glad it's a hobby or interest that maybe could go far be it innovation or discoveries.
GOOD LUCK and keep it up maybe you might discover the secrets of Coral Coast or something and anti-gravity.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
My aims are not to discover new science. Really, one has to realise that there are people out there in academia with orders of magnitude more intelligence and funding who properly understand stuff. Academia, however doesn't focus on photography or flashy effects.

What I seem to be evolving towards is to do science and physics projects with photos that are the best (or only ones) on the web. For example:
I have done more than anyone on can crushing and am in the slow process of writing a paper on it. Lots of effects are one off, like crushing frozen cans and other variations.
My TC shots with the rotating rod like "Saurons eye" are new and in the "only ones" category.
My first TC shot on my index page is still one of the best around and one of the few showing sparks three times secondary length. Top of Google TC images for 6 months. I like to have a person in the shot for scale. Even Tesla did this.
The shots of Tesla coil sparks with a high speed rotating mirror were also a first on the web.
The use of LED's as a TC spark/polarity monitor, frozen ferrofluid, and ferrofluid with HV sparks, sparks under liquid nitrogen are also unique.

In some respects I am focusing on the art of science more now.

None of this however, is new science though so I think of myself as an experimenter that publishes to the web rather than inventor. I don't have to get too serious about it as I don't have to publish or perish or stick to one area if it doesnt pan out.

And how did I find out about your site? Go into my hit counter and you can see who hits the site and a lot more details than you imagine like screen resolution, operating system etc.

TDU

top topics

join