It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman 'hasn't slept for eight years'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Doctors in Romania say they are baffled after examining a woman who claims she has not slept a wink for eight years.

www.ananova.com...

The doctors back-up her claim too. What about sleep deprivation health effects? Like

emotional problems
depression
irritability
anxiety
impaired memory
concentration
sleepiness.
I wonder if this women suffers from any of these things? The article doesn't say.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I've always wanted to stay awake for a week straight and see what happens to me, winter vacation is coming up, I think I'll give it a try then.
I'll let you know if I can stay awake for 8 days let alone 8 years.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i advise against it..i had insomnia for two weeks a few years ago. it sucks. you just want to kill. everyone. although, i did develop a smoking habit, and wrote like an entire film script in 4 days. so insomnia cna be productive. just don't have any weapons arround, and stay away from people.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Last sleep fast I had was about 72 hours straight.

After day one, the ton of bricks.

After day two, refreshed and confusingly energetic.

After day three, delirium, attitude, dropsies, and generally everything is wrong, from my perspective.

Day four...about 14 hours of ZZZZZZZZZZZ

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Guys

There are sound reasons why sleep deprivation is used in the torture of captives for information.

You don't want to do it to yourselves voluntarily. I have had two periods (involuntary) including one around the death of a family member. You don't want to go there yourself experimentally - in fact, you won't be able to, your mind and body will not allow it. It is only other people in your circumstances that would make it happen (that is no hint).

smirkley - by Day 8 you can't sleep. Not good and only medically treatable.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
yes indeedy, insomnia sucks. I can't imagine this woman not sleeping for eight years, a few days and I start to go batty. I have fairly regular bouts of insomnia that last for a few days up to a week. one day without sleep and I feel fine, two is a little crappy, after that all bets are off. I'd be willing to bet prolonged periods of sleeplessness has detrimental effects on the brain. after all, we do sleep for a reason.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I love sleep... I do not have to go to work this week, so I have been getting around 9 or 10 hours every night... I love it.

I do usually wake up around 8am though...then i just go back to sleep and sleep till about 10am

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Last sleep fast I had was about 72 hours straight.

After day one, the ton of bricks.

After day two, refreshed and confusingly energetic.

After day three, delirium, attitude, dropsies, and generally everything is wrong, from my perspective.

Day four...about 14 hours of ZZZZZZZZZZZ

lol had the same!

1st day at the "brake period" very sleepy, after couple of hours, energy, till a little "brake period" again, the third, homer a dull boy! out for the kill! 4th day complete power off!

it's very bad not to sleep, when they torture or brainwash people they usually not make them sleep for some days!

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
What is even stranger is that modern science is not sure why we even have to sleep at all? Notice the varying amounts of sleep the average person seems to require at different stages in their life.

In the metaphysical sense sleep is understood as the connection of the body to the total astral soul or the connection of the body soul remnant to the astral or soul plane.

This is necessary for most people as a type of soul maintenance and a recharging of psychic energy. The bodily advantages are much less from sleeping yet our body creates a great deal of havic if we do not sleep.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I was up for 96 hrs once and at one point was talking jibberish to some guy under a tree, my husband was there with me refusing to let me sleep and all at once I just slipped into this other world in the middle of an argument with hubby that I needed to sleep, after that hubby hushed up and let me sleep. The guy under the tree did not have a problem with me going to sleep.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I know a girl my age (16) who has only had on average about 2 - 5 hours sleep per night since she was about 10. Her dad was killed and I'm pretty sure it traumatised her pretty bad. She has most of the symptoms that were described earlier of insomnia but kind of lives this every day...

Not even really on topic, but interesting nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I for one surely can't do that. Sleeping is one of my hobbies and I love to sleep at least 8 hours per night. Although I often find myself going to bed late at night.

But it's amazing that that woman hasn't slept at all in 8 years. Delta and Theta brainwaves are needed. And I'm sure that she isn't experiencing them while being awake.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Someone who hasn't slept that long is going to have a shorter life-span. She's probably going to start developing all kinds of health problems later on.

I think the longest time that I have stayed awake was a little over 24 hours, and at that time, every funny event seemed very funny and made me laugh.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Forcefully, willing (not in the state of tramua) making yourself stay up isn't all that bad. Make sure you don't have to do anything important or mechanical, like drive a car.

When I've tried, I was able to stay up for three days; first day was fine, second day was funny, third day was getting to me. On the third day I think i went to sleep for "some other reason." I can't remember what it was but it wasn't like I feel asleep by accident. Everybody has a different constitution.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I've been able to force myself to stay awake for up to a week - didn't do it just to play with my mind, actually had important things to do at the time. I can tell you though that things get really weird.

Also, once in boot camp, we were forced to stay awake as part of training and while doing firewatch in the barracks, I fell asleep standing up. The DI came in from a late night jaunt and when I failed to acknowledge him, he kicked me in the chest and sent me backwards into the trash can I happened to be right in front of. Funny thing was, he said that it spooked him too, as my eyes were open.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I used to sleep eight hours a day when I was ten or so but one day I just stopped sleeping that much. I get two hours a day and have been doing it for ten years now and I feel great when I get up -- usually hehe. The world record for a human without sleep is only 11 days by Randy Gardner in 1965. No human has been recorded to die from lack of sleep, but rats die when they go two to three weeks without sleep. www.iht.com...

My personal record was about 7 days. I got to a point where everything started to blend together and nothing really made sense. I actually lost the desire to sleep -- it was like being a zombie I guess in describable words. I'm thinking about trying it again... who knows, you might possibly get to a point that you no longer needed sleep. That would be just about the best thing possible� no more sleeping away 1/3 of your life! WOOT!

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You know, there are a lot of things on the net that state that sleeping long hours actually extends your life - that's assuming that you don't have any serious health issues.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I don't like to sleep. It just seems like a waste of time, however I do get a good 3 hours sleep per night. Just because I think your brain does need to be defraged

You know, there are a lot of things on the net that state that sleeping long hours actually extends your life - that's assuming that you don't have any serious health issues.

Soooooo.... you get a longer life huh? But ya sleep through most of it???

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Thats silly.. cause recently there were studies saying sleeping prolong hours cause health issues.. shortening your lifespan

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Humans can only go 11 days without sleep. After that the person would die due to their body being drained of all energy, but in this case i have no answer unless she is lying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join