It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higgs Field... How matter is formed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is a very interesting theory. It's about how matter is formed out of "nothing". The Higgs field is a field which permeates space and time. Theoretically, when "particles" of this field interact with the "Higgs boson" they gain mass and become matter.

hepwww.ph.qmw.ac.uk...

www.sciencenetlinks.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   
www.space.com...

This sites makes the idea of something coming from nothing not necessary, singularities probably don't exist, and therefore E=MC2 can be maintained...

Nice links though

[Edited on 28-11-2003 by LeenBekkemaa]

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Nice one Leen,

I'm reading it right now...

And this is one about how matter was formed in the Big Bang.

www.pparc.ac.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Also thanks for that one

But look at the following of that site:

In the era between 10 -43 and 10 -34 seconds, matter and energy (which can be interconverted via by Einstein�s E = Mc2 relation) were unified and squeezed into a space smaller than the size of a subatomic particle.

They already say that it was unified... saying it was a singularity... these calculations however are made with the fact that they know gravity but not the anti-gravity after a certain stage of surpression from that gravity...

So the unification might not exist at all...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Nice stuff, guys. This one's a keeper!

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The Large Hadron Collider at CERN is being built to finally detect this particle if it exists.

CERN LHC

I know a few guys who worked on ALEPH (one of the experiments at the old LEP which the LHC is replacing) and he showed me some candidate events which may be the Higgs - although the statictics aren't good enough to draw any provable conclusions....

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Nice post Bandit,
Yeah I read about this in Scientific American and the LArge Hadron Collider at CERN is going to be set up to confirm this theroy. If they do then it would be incredible and also if they are able to determine the field strength and why it is at its present value then it would truly be the next step in human understanding. I have a decent idea of this Higgs Boson and its interation by the 8 particles so I understand the significance of the LHD being set up.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Shouldn't we have already have detected the Higgs Boson by now? We've been searching for a while and we theoretically have the technology to replicate it but why havn't we seen it yet? The only reason I can come up with is that it doesn't exist.

[edit on 16-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The collider technology to see the Higgs Boson at significant enough statistics to confirm its existence does not exist yet. The Large Electron-Positron Collider (LEP) had a few candidate events when it was ramped up to 100GeV near the end of its life, but those events have a high enough probability of being background events to be put in the "maybe, but not sure" box.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Alright, I just found this nice picture that shows the Higgs field so that it is very easy for a lay person to understand. I thought this might be a good addition to this thread:

This comes from a BBC article about the LHC, GOD PARTICLE

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't think the Higg's particle exists. Dreaming up another particle is not the solution to explain the origin of mass. I personally think mass is electromagnetic in origin. My theory is not ready yet but I am working on it!

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
From the article of the first link:

for example if H is near an electron, there is a force between the two.

What is this 'force'? what is it composed of? why does it exist? how it is formed?

Why is it wrong to suppose that there is another level of foundamental particles below the Higgs Boson level, let's say 1 trillionth smaller than 1 cm, that make up this force?

EDIT: on the other hand, such a particle may offer us a chance to make Star Trek -like energy to matter converters. Earl Grey, hot anyone? :-)

[edit on 18-1-2006 by masterp]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well Strings could be below the Quantum level. In fact according to String Theory all matter is made up of vibrating strings in various configurations. Gravity is supposed to be a closed loop string which is String Theories explanation as to why Gravity is so weak,..

[edit on 18-1-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

join