It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manmade Toxins found in everyday foods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Man made toxins have been found in everyday foods such as bread and eggs, in test's run by the WWF (formerly the World Wide Fund for Nature) 352 people had their blood tested over 5 years and all were found to have toxic chemicals within their blood. Although these chemicals were in small amounts and within legal guidelines there is a worry about how these toxins may affect a human over the long term and how the toxins may respond when mixed together within the bloodstream.

www.timesonline.co.uk
TRACES of a cocktail of toxic chemicals linked to cancer and foetal deformities are being eaten even in the healthiest of diets.

Man-made pollutants and chemicals were found in every one of 27 food products, including staples such as bread and eggs, that were tested by experts. In further tests carried out by WWF, formerly the World Wide Fund for Nature, every one of 352 people who provided blood samples over the past five years was found to be contaminated with toxic chemicals. All the contaminants found in the samples were at low levels, well within legal limits, but there are serious fears for long-term health.

None of the contaminants in the quantities detected is thought to pose an immediate, direct risk. There is concern among toxicologists, however, that even at low concentrations the chemicals may represent a serious risk when they mix together in the body.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Isn't it time we got this junk out of our food stuffs? For many decades if not centuries? Illnesses like cancer, fertility problems and many others have been rising, as far as i can see these illnesses have to be linked to our lifestyles and the foods we consume in the modern world? Although our medical knowledge is rising at a great pace as well and we are finding cures for many of these problems, wouldn't it be better to find out what is causing these problems in the first place and eradicate them from our systems? This would not only save many people from having to go through traumatic treatments like chemotherapy but would also save the taxpayers a fortune at the same time.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I totally agree something NEEDS to be done. Its time to take ALL toxins, chemicals, hormones, pesticides and any other crap they put into our foods OUT...
Enough is Enough. Theres no reason for it.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Good find.

even at low concentrations the chemicals may represent a serious risk when they mix together in the body.

No kidding.

Always a good source: Environmental Health Perspectives

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Great, so we have even more to worry about apart from aspertame, fluoride and the other well know additives.

Check what they are doing to babies bottled water now.

www.nurserywater.com...

[edit on 21-9-2006 by Raffles]

apc

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's almost impossible to eliminate everything without returning to the caveman days, but you can reduce much of the unwanted chemical intake by shelling out the extra cash for organically produced foods.

Also switch to cast iron or steel/copper pans. No more Teflon. Teflon bad. Especially for women. Their children will have teflon in their blood without ever even having eaten off a nonstick pan.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The thing with toxins in food products now, is that they have been used in food production so much over the years, that we all have an amount of toxins in our bodies. Even if the toxins were to disappear completely from our foodstuffs today, it'd be several generations before they disappeared (and some may never disappear).

Because of nuclear tests in the 1950s, EVERY American alive (and most people around the world) is slightly irradiated. We all have radioactive material in our systems. That will never disappear, and will continue to be passed between generations for the rest of human existence.

I agree that toxins should be removed from food production, but I also understand that use of these toxins makes food affordable to just about everyone. Food is one resource that I would not like to see become only financially viable to the rich.

It's all kind of a catch .22. We can either have healthy diets and clean food, and go broke trying to feed ourselves, or we can deal with miniscule amounts of toxins, and continue to be able to afford to eat.

Also, irradicating the insects, rodents, and other animals that these toxins are used to ward off would be VERY unhealthy for the world ecosystem as a whole. Imagine a world without rabbits, mice, deer, bears, wolves, and any other number of life forms that prey on mass-produced food. Upsetting the ecosystem is a VERY bad idea, and in my opinion, not an option. This leaves chemical toxins as the best way to ward off these animals, and still keep food production costs low.

Organic food costs so much more, because these types of toxins are not used, and much of the crop is lost to animals grazing in the fields.

It's all about trade-offs and compromise. I'd prefer to spend less, and deal with low levels of toxins in my body. Frankly, a few pesticides is going to be far less dangerous to me than driving my car, the act of which kills thousands of people each year across the US alone. Pesticides in our food kill much less than that.

Put it into perspective.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It isn't only about food production, there was a report on the BBC a while back about drinks in plastic bottles (like cola or lemonade) being stored next to chemicle cleaners in cupboards, it was found that some of the toxins could and did leech from the cleaner bottle through into the drinks bottle and contaminate it

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Nice to see it finally made it to the news section.

I thought I posted a thread on this, but since I can't find it for some annoying reason, it might be a pipe dream.

Will edit it in if I find it.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think someone may have said Water bottles?
Well I do know that re-using a water bottle to re-fill can be bad for you!
Especially if left in the car or heat...plastic.
Also eating of plastic plates........think Picnics!

Teflon, I did hear that in the U.S was having big time 'sueing' on their hands.
In Australia, has not yet come to that.
They are still seling and using the stuff!

Teflon reacts when heated to a certain temperature.....causing fumes to go into the food being cooked.
Same thing would probably be with boiling water in plastic kettles.
It's good to drink boiled water, but bad to boil in plastic kettles.

And as for organic vegies and meats, well, organic is good, but there was a story awhile back on 60 minutes(current affairs program) about seeds mixing with the other organic seeds.The GM crops were upset that their crops were mixing with the organic ones....makes you think it would be the other way around!

It's a no win situation!

helen

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Another thing is that most everything Plastic today can be recycled!
Recycling is good for the enviroment we are told....too often enough!
But,
I dont know how the recycling get's done...I'm assuming that it is heated and made into whatever.
When we buy bottles and anything made of plastic, then we are also ingesting the stuff.
Food in plastic stored awhile, also is a 'no go'....especially when given to babies with their immune systems not yet resistent like an adults!

People should just stop buying everything plastic containing food or to be used for food consumption, then they will stop making them.

Glass is good and although it was introduced here for jams and other food stuffs, it did not take too well.....
People seem to want things all good, but do nothing about it.

helen

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's not just plastic bottles and containers that are bad, there have been reports in the past about polythene (that is often used to wrap childrens school lunches ect) being linked to a drop in fertility, due to the chemicles within the polythene leeching into the food wrapped by it.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Wow. This is all good info. while I have not seen anything to confirm this info, KEEP IT COMING!!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoobdude
Wow. This is all good info. while I have not seen anything to confirm this info, KEEP IT COMING!!!!

Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) and endocrine-disrupting chemicals from normal, everyday plastics are known to cause reproductive damage, as documented in Theo Colborn's book "Our Stolen Future."

source

here's a little info on what plastics can do and how they affect human fertility

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by scoobdude

Hmmm.

As I posted above, Environmental Health Perspectives publishes a fund of general information and hard science about the effects of synthetic (and other) chemicals in the environment.

If it makes you feel any better, Environmental Health Perspectives is published by the US government. Which means that in the current climate much info is "unavailable" and many articles and studies have been censored or removed, but enough remains to give you a good idea of just how mucked we really are.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Not only are man made toxins found in our foods, they are PUT there. There are over 15,000 chemicals that can be added to foods, and NOT be listed on the label.
More and more toxic chemicals are added to our foods every year.
No answers are given as to why these chemicals are put in our foods, but insiders say they are to preserve the food, for taste and texture, to make you more hungry, to make you fatter, to get you addicted to the food, and to cause disease.
The FDA, the FTC, and the drug companies all work together.. A law passed in Congress, 1992, that was supposed to speed up approval for AIDS drugs instead increased the FDAs dependance on drug companies for it's funding.
This according to Kevin Trudeau.

However, Obsidian said "I also understand that use of these toxins makes food affordable to just about everyone.
It's all kind of a catch .22. We can either have healthy diets and clean food, and go broke trying to feed ourselves, or we can deal with miniscule amounts of toxins, and continue to be able to afford to eat."

I understand your point, but realize please that even with the tons of food stuffs America sends out to other nations, we still have tons of grains rotting in silos. We still have tons of dairy products wasting away in the form of cheese.. any one remember Regan cheese?? Butter, and powdered milk.
We have farmers that are paid to let feilds lie fallow, unplanted, and stories of milk being poured down the drain by dairy farmers...
The prices of food stuffs, like any other commodity are artificially manipulated. One can almost predict food prices by natural distasters in food crop regions. Example, bread prices have jumped in my area from 1.89 to 2.29 in a matter of months. Sugar went from 1.88 to 2.26 in the space of one week.
I think that these are reverbarations from Katrina, but how much do you want to bet that the prices do not go down when the regions recover?
Please remember, the producers of food stuffs are in business to make money.
So what a hundred people get sick from eating e.coli spinach. Before the recall, how much spinach did they sell? The gains outweigh the risk.
Civil case pay out? Insurance covers it.
They are NOT in the business to do anything other than make money. Your health is NOT a concideration unless it is as a selling gimmick. No one saw health foods on shelves until it was profitable enough for food companies to produce them. But then we go back to those additives they put in the foods they sell us.
I trust very few news stories about what is good for you, and what is not.
I notcied some years ago, that just when it was found that eggs were concidered good for you once more, there was also a huge advertizing blitz on the benefits of eating chicken. Now I realize that egg producing chickens and meat chickens may not be the same breed. However only about 1 rooster is needed per 1000 hens to produce the next generation. Like bull dairy calves are marked for veal, I have no doubt that rooster egg breed chicks are a likely the source of the broilers we buy, and the producers of all those chicken parts we eat, as well as the source of those chopped and blended chicken nuggets.
Like their sisters, they are fed antibiotics and hormones to increase flesh in the shortest possible time.
Todays children are maturing faster than ever. Girls are developing breasts, and menstruating far earlier than they were 50 years ago.
This is not just tied into the they are eating better theory. Residual hormones from the meat products we are feeding our children are causing our children to mature faster, just as those hormones are supposed to. Only I wonder, it is now being said that this generation is the first in however many that are unhealthier and are likely to die earlier than their parents.
Could it be the accumulated toxins and hormones? Could it be that there are indeed additives to our foods that are making us fatter? Could it indeed be less invionmental, and more addtives in our foods?

top topics

join