It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing Voices in Your Head is Now Normal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
A new survey and psychological study has put forward the idea that hearing voices, or Auditory Hallucinations in classical Pyschiatry is actually not the sign of a Mental Illness, but is now to be classified as "Normal"

news.bbc.co.uk
Hearing voices in your head is so common that it is normal, psychologists believe.

Dutch findings suggest one in 25 people regularly hears voices.

Contrary to traditional belief, hearing voices is not necessarily a symptom of mental illness, UK researchers at Manchester University say. Indeed, many who hear voices do not seek help and say the voices have a positive impact on their lives, comforting or inspiring them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I have never had this experiance myself, though it may be nice for anyone who does when you are wrangling with difficult choices in life, or even just bored! have a conversation with yourself!

I would say though that personally from a little experiance of Care Work when I was younger that it would be best if you do hear voices, that try and guide you as to do actions in the real world, to consult your local Doctor quickly to just make sure that it is of the "normal" variety

Related News Links:
www.manchester.ac.uk
www.medicalnewstoday.com
www.asylumonline.net
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Whats that i hear???
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-9-2006 by MischeviousElf]

[edit on 19-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I dont hear voices and i know of no one who does. I suppose the difference would be what the voices say to you.

Are they helping you make decisions? Are they asking you to murder someone?

I think this study has a lot of empty loopholes in it.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
hmm it depends what the voices say!

if they say "oi help that old lady across the road" niceone, why change that?

but if they say "KILL, kill them ALLLLLLLL" - then thats not normal and that person should require the electric shock treatment or maybe an exorcism.

[edit on 20-9-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
possible psy-ops? i wonder if the powers that be have some mind control experiments in the works. could it be possible they're trying to condition everyone to keep their mouths shut about the impending voices? or Maybe it really means 25% of the people are just really crazy?

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

WHEW!

That's all I have to say.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yeah it's obviously psy-ops, not. Doh!

I get voices in my head as I fall asleep. They come from behind and to the left of me. I never get them when I'm fully concious. If I did, I'd be gaga...

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It could be since Bush hears God's voice, that this is now acceptable.

God would not have a thing to say to HIM.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think dg that as long anybody said that is Gods voice in the head is nothing to be worry about. Right?

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I hear what sounds like my name being called, probably once a week. I guess I'm normal now?!?!

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm new here even though I've been reading posts for several months. I had an experience with voices in my head when I was about 7 years old. I was on vacation with my family in Florida. I got an ear infection, from swimming in the gulf, along with a high fever. I woke up one morning with this voice saying my name over and over and over again. Needless to say it really freaked me out! And to myself I just kept saying stop, stop, stop,and cried! I never told my parents or very few other people for that matter. That was almost 40 years ago, and I'll never forget it. Does anyone have any idea what or who it might have been?? I've often wondered if it was God and I was too scared to answer!?

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Many people who hear voices are experiencing the auditory version of pareidolia (I forget what it is called now, but there is a name for it). It basically means that our brains try to make sense of input. Our brains try to organize the input into something we can recognize. Sometimes you can make out bunnies in the clouds, sometimes you can make out voices in the sound of your vacuum cleaner. This is perfectly normal.

I have heard noises that my brain has interpreted as voices, naturally I can't understand what they say. It sounds something like a group of people talking at once or sometimes one voice making nonsense words that don't go together to form a complete sentence. Some people's brain are more effective at organizing the input and so they might hear complete sentences.

Having full auditory (or visual) hallucinations is also normal during extremely high fevers. These are the kinds of voices you can carry on full conversations with or they can be the scary kind that you can't turn off. I was seriously ill as a child and I experienced these.

With this in mind, I can see how many people could report hearing voices and it could be called a normal experience. I know several reasons one can hear voices, and no doubt, the experts have found more. Given that only 1% of the population is ever diagnosed as schizophrenic, it sounds reasonable to me that others who have heard voices may really be normal.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dangermouse
I hear what sounds like my name being called, probably once a week. I guess I'm normal now?!?!
If you hear your named being called, do not answer.
Its someone from the other side and you should ignore it. They say if you answer you could die.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe They say if you answer you could die.

Thats odd. because when I was younger I used to hear a woman,s voice constantly calling my name..

Then a guy,s voice shouting

''If you don,t answer when your mother shouts I,m gonna kill you!!!''

Sometimes you just don,t know what to do for the best

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Mwaha hahah ahha ha ha ha!!!

Yes, well, there's a difference if your mom is calling you and you dont answer.

But if its not mom, and you're alone....
......they say not to answer because its coming from beyond and someone wants YOU.

*Evil laugh*

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Seriously.One of the freakiest experiences I ever had was with my ex fiance in Eilat.It was about 3.am,both asleep when the television kept turning on and off.

She got seriously freaked out which in turn put me into that trance like state I,m sure you,ve all experience.When you listen for something so hard your whole body aches.

After a few more flashes on and off I came to the conclusion that it was a fault in the hotel power supply and told her.

I lay for only a few seconds after and heard a DISTINCT voice..worse still so did she so I knew it wasn,t imagined.

Now she,d had numerous poltergeist experiences before and she was practically in a fit by this stage so I took her over to our friends' appartment and returned to our suite.

Not only was the voice still there it was praying/chanting in Hebrew..I,d only been there a couple of months so I,d only picked up a few words but wrote down what i could make out or was repeated..

I took them to my friend Moti the next day to see if they made sense.
Not only did it make sense to him but he asked where I,d heard these spoken as it was in a dailect practically redundant in modern Israel..

1999 in Eilat sport hotel.. Next day there was a huge explosion as a 5ft oxyacetylene gas bottle exploded in a contruction site next door..

These words I made out were her name(forgotten it but old old name) ''fire'' ''death'' and ''crash/bang''(no real clear modern translation) from Hebrew.

100% true story.. Cool or what??

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Interesting stories all,

looking into this as I am intrigued I came across a very unusual story. One of Americas premier post traumatic Psychiatrist and Disaster mental health expert, herself was diagnosed with schizophrenia when in Medical School. She was hearing voices.

She had been hearing voices. Sometimes the voices told her to kill herself, and she came close to taking her own life.

She was placed out of medical school and sought with her family some treatment. She tried an untested and controversial treatment where her blood was cleansed, a bit like dialysis:

Desperate for some sort of help, North and her family turned to an experimental therapy in which her blood was filtered in a process that might be compared to kidney dialysis.

Now what the amazing thing is that it seemed to cure her!

"They never demonstrated that the treatment was generally effective," North says. "There were problems with the research, which eventually was abandoned."
However:
She received the treatment for 20 weeks. During the second week, the voices suddenly stopped. That was more than 20 years ago. North hasn't required any medication or had any symptoms of schizophrenia since.

Wow an amazing therapy that seemed to work with schizophrenic symptoms whilst not leaving the person with all of the side effects of powerful meds was abandoned!

She later went on to finish her med school and became a psychiatrist! and one of much standing as well.

Link

What I also find interesting with this topic is the US and Soviet research into the ability to "place voices" into peoples heads to make them do what they want. This is truly scary indeed as apposed to the organic natural voices

Microwave Mind Control Symptoms & Published Evidence
Reported Symptoms
1. Microwave hearing
2. Transmission of specific commands into the subconscious
3. Visual disturbances, visual hallucinations
4. Inject words, numbers into brain via electromagnetic radiation waves
5. Manipulation of emotions
6. Reading thoughts remotely
7. Causing pain to any nerve of the body.
8. Remote manipulation of human behaviour from space
9. Harassment, stress symptoms such as helicopters flying overhead
10. Seeing, as in a camera, through your eyes, i.e. to see what you see exactly
11. Control of sleep patterns.
12. Computer-brain interface, control and communication
13. Complex control of the brain such as retrieving memories, implanting personalities

Now look at the source!

The following report from Cheryl Welsh provides a listing of some of the reported symptoms of electronic microwave mind control technologies, published evidence of their existence, and demonstrated military interest and/or funding for these technologies. Many of these electronic mind control developments were perfected at Montauk, Long Island in the 1960's, 70's, and 80's in a privately funded operation known as The Montauk Project

Source

Seems very legit and from other reading on this subject and also other sources this ability seems to be present in the US and Soviet Union.

This really does make me question this study, or maybe this study just highlights a change in experiences due to the above factors.

Making a tin foil hat (double layer!)

Regards
Elf

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dangermouse

pssst....dangermouse??...PSSSTT!!!...DANGERMOUSE!!!!...yeah, you're totally normal, man.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Lets not confuse the term 'auditory hallucinations' and it being an indicator of organic mental defects with 'my dog told me to kill my neighbhor'. The latter is an extreme auditory hallucination, but simply thinking you heard something could, i think, be considered an auditory hallucination.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Oh good. I was afraid it was the government trying to control me.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well that's a helluva relief.

I think...

Of course, the idea that 1 out of every 25 people is a schizophrenic is a bit disturbing, but hey, at leat I'm not alone anymore... not that I was before.

Anyway, I'd be curious, since apparently 4% of the population hears voices, how well that 4% also corresponds to the number of people who were abused as a child, since typically that is when the first personality splits begin to occurr.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join