It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems on ISS greater than we thought?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
From the NYTimes:

www.nytimes.com...

One wonders, in the event of an accident that forces the abandonment of the station, if the military might turn over more of its tech to the public(?)

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing the article OIMD. To put this in perspective, it appears that they have a defib machine on the blink, one of their exercise machines is broken, and the IV fluids for emergency situations are nearing their expiration date. The article hints at air, water and radiation monitoring devices either being "ailing" or broken at the beginning, but only mention this claim one other time ("environmental monitoring systems"..."were not working properly"), but really don't get specific as to what monitoring devices they are alluding to.

I wish that there had been more detail on the monitoring devices. The exercise machine, defib and IV fluids don't concern me (though this is not the optimum situation), but if there really are monitoring devices going on the blink, that would be a concern in my eye. It would also lead me to ask why this devices are going bad after so little time? What's with that???

Be sure and update us if you read more on this.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Actually... in a way little, seemingly trivial, problems bother me as much as major ones... because many maritime and aviation accidents have been caused by a sudden build-up of 'minor' problems which, at first, were just shrugged off.

Also, throughout history there have been exploratory expeditions (for instance, Robert Falcon Scott's mission to antarctica) that started off fine, but, due to a buildup of small problems which ,on their own, were non-threatening... resulted in fatalities.

Yeah, the loss of exercise equipment poses only a (possible) long-term threat to their health, but if this is indicative of the maintenance standards of their medical/health... I'm a bit worried that if there were an accident along the lines of the Progress/Mir collision a few years ago that we might have problem.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Only,

LOL so true a host of minor problems will in time become a major problem!

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
... I'm a bit worried that if there were an accident along the lines of the Progress/Mir collision a few years ago that we might have problem.

Yeah, I believe the collision event itself would inherently be a problem. That said, it wouldn't be exacerbated by the treadmill or the exercise bike being down
Remember, the ISS has a Soyuz escape vehicle at the ready at all times. The only real concern here is the implication that environmental monitoring devices are not working properly. You can't exactly know you need to take action if your devices aren't functioning to tell you you need to take action. That's the part that concerns me, but I also find it very suspicious that there was little to no detail put behind generalized statements concerning this part of the article. The only meat I saw was that some of their exercise equipment was on the blink and they need refreshed IV fluids stores. Again, I wish the article had gone more into detail about the substantial claims.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Nasa employees advised against latest mission:

www.newscientist.com...

Val,
yes, certainly the lack of a treadmill, in and of itself, is harmless... but my point, which I admit I didn't drive home well enough, is that minor, inconsequential problems often occur in an environment (work, maintenaince, etc) that engenders itself to major problems. There's a Navy saying, I believe, to the effect of, "Rust on the mess hall bell comes with rust in the bilge pumps" (or something like that). The point is that, in a ship/plane... and I imagine spacecraft... minor problems often appear alongside major ones.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm in agreement OIMD. As I stated before I wish that more detail had been provided on the environmental monitoring devices because that is the one flag brought up in the article that makes alarms go if my mind, AND makes me wonder what the hell happened to the QC on these things???

The article you just posted also doesn't mention a damned thing about these devices after lumping them with exercise equipement and "medical equipment" (IV fluids). In fact, that article looks like a rewording of the first...with nothing new in it.

I hope we get more meat on the monitoring devices. I personally believe that is the meat to this story.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I can't read the article, could someone copy and paste?

I hope that if a major problem arises, the government will release more information.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Read the article in the last post OIMD made. It is basically the same article as the Times...you really won't miss anything and we can't post copyrighted material.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Read the article in the last post OIMD made. It is basically the same article as the Times...you really won't miss anything and we can't post copyrighted material.

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I wonder if this is not spin put out in order to close down the station. There has been a strong push to retreat from space after the last disaster, and this might be the excuse they are building to do that.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
NC

I believe that is the whole point I was trying to make for a couple of posts, and then gave up. The article is hyperbole. The only REAL problem it lists is the brief mention (with no follow up, no substance) of monitoring devices not functioning properly.

If the monitoring devices are not functioning correctly, AND there are not replacements on their way, THAT is a serious issue. And I find it curious that since that is a REAL story, it is not followed up in either article posted so far.

I understand OIMD's insinuations, but comparing the exercise bike going on the blink to poor maintainance of the brass on a ship is not an applicable metaphor.

I'm still waiting to see if something real comes of this off-handed statement by these reporters of monitoring devices being on the fritz...then I'll start paying attention.

p.s. And I don't buy for a minute that replacement IV fluid didn't go with the new crew. That's ludicrous.

p.s.s I'm not saying that OIMD is implying that the fluids aren't being replaced. I'm saying the reporters are implying that. As if it is an incorrectable situation...for pete's sake.

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Valhall]

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
sounds like the ISS is the projects of space accomidations. they're all minor problems, but hopefully they don't point to lax maintainance in other, more critical areas.

and you're right Val, when/if they release the problems alluded to in the control systems, that'll be the real problem.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
ADD Another Problem...

when the trio returned to earth yesterday....someone pushed the wrong button...

see complete story on this page::

www.spacedaily.com...
~~~~~

also of interest-->the 'BUSH may announce Return To Moon, at Kitty Hawk" article>>>
...which may infer, the ISS is a 'White Elephant' and is doomed to financial decay as well as orbital decay?!!?
...or will be relegated to a 'third world' hi-tec Space Camp, to 'flatter' the unsophisticated, earth bound, nations...with a sanctioned ride into heavens, provided by 'Uncle Sam'

ISS might find a renewed life, only when civilian & commercial space enterprise is advanced...

I think that's what the BUSH agenda ia all about...
having NASA & Military, doing the BIG PROJECTS...and commercial markets created for sub-contractors & 'out sourcing' to provide spaceservices & a 'rear escholon' supply/support for both NASA/MilitarySpaceCorps

Anyways the (www.spacedaily.com) address provides a list of related links-->>ie;space.wire/ space.war/ terrawar.com/ among many others...Enjoy your Journey

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
was the space station ever such a good idea to begin with. I mean sure in the begining it was but in the long run...

-Dagger

new topics

top topics

join