It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Positive Thinking Study (What the Bleep Do We Know)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'd like to start this thread for people who have seen the video 'What the Bleep Do We Know' and are applying positive thinking in order to directly affect the outcome of their lives on a day-to-day basis, to discuss the results of their efforts in a somewhat tangible and measureable way.

I'd like to here about success stories and whether you felt those successes were a direct result of your positive thinking or whether you feel they were just coincidence or not related.

If you haven't seen the video you can see it online here:
Mod Edit to remove link. What the Bleep is a copyrighted movie. It is illegal to view for free.

There are a few threads on ATS on similar subjects at:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for your input...

[edit on 19-6-2006 by mecheng]

1c.) Intellectual Property: You will not post in a message any copyrighted material, material belonging to another person, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of the copyrights have created to make that material freely available to the general public), unless that copyright is owned by you or by this website.

[edit on 24-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I have understood and known most of what was in that movie years before it came out, but it wasn't until I seen the movie that I actually started applying it in everyday life...

I would have to say day-2-day I utilize my thought power in different degrees, if theres something I'm interested in or have a desire for I direct my energy towards it..

But I have to stress, if your not "In the Moment" You will never get what you ask for, because it will hide from you, or pass you by... which is the whole faith thing... You have to be paying attention to EVERYTHING...

Focus is VERY important...

Some drugs accelerate the effects of will/thought..

You have to understand what quantum physics encompasses... its a very "majickal" concept to say the least...

Another thing to keep in mind is, you can almost NEVER create circumstances where you alone recieve your desires... usually what you desire is always given to someone close to you, or around you.. could even be your enemy.
There are reasons behind this, that have to do with loving your enemy and being in the brotherhood of man ....
remembering a kingdom divided against itself will fall.

Well all have to get along before we can utilize a lot of what is said in that movie.. our thoughts are very powerful and extend atleast 20 feet or more away from our body influencing others thoughts and "world"...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
i know by being a catholic that not everything is supposed to be right in your life. i personally have had quite a rough life like others, but i am also in a weird way, feel that has helped.
strangely i seem to always seem to want to be on a downer, it does not really bother me to much. people gain alot from suffering, maybe not the material stuff that the western world needs for people, but deep down you do gain something.

i personally just stay away from what i call new age stuff. this positive thinking just cannot work for everyone, in our current collective spiritual state of our human race. maybe in the future we may all understand we are part of a collective and how we act out our lives have effects on others. this it seems is where the human race is going.

[edit on 19-6-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Being a catholic you need to take Jesus' words more seriously... seriously..
You have to understand what EACH word he says means in ALL aspects of the sense... They aren't applied simply to situations that needed explanations they are truths ALL OVER.

Mod Edit: Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
i personally just stay away from what i call new age stuff. this positive thinking just cannot work for everyone, in our current collective spiritual state of our human race.

This is the main reason humanity hasn't figured it out yet. Too many people are worrying about their children fixing humans, but in the end its up to the current generations to do it. Time is all relative so what makes you think that our grandkids will be able to figure out something that has taken us lifetimes to accomplish? Take your own life into your own hands and only then will you realize what life is worth. You do not have to be unhappy, only if you chose to be. And yes being unhappy is a conscious choice whether or not you will admit to it. Positive thinking can and will work for anyone that is willing to give a new thing a try, be different than the rest of the "debby downers," think for themselves, and love each other (respect and caring is more like it). Staying present is probably the most important thing I can recommend, while it may not be easy it will be worthwhile in the end trust me. And if not, you'll be in a better place than you were when you started...

[edit on 19-6-2006 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dnero6911
I would have to say day-2-day I utilize my thought power in different degrees, if theres something I'm interested in or have a desire for I direct my energy towards it..

dnero,
Could you give some examples of how you specifically used your thoughts to influence an outcome? How do you intially prepare yourself mentally? How do you 'think positively'? Do you do anything special throughout the day to 'follow through' with your initial thoughts to make them happen?

Also, could you explain a bit more about how you said your thoughts usually affect others rather than yourself directly?

I'd also like to discuss the Christian angle to this. To address Andy's concerns, is this knowledge comparable to the apple from the Tree of Knowledge? Does the Chuch approve of using the power of thought to this degree to 'get what you want'?

This is a very intersting subject. I've always believed in positive thinking but have so far never 'used' it to this degree. I'm really interested to hear people's stories. Thanks.

[edit on 20-6-2006 by mecheng]

[edit on 20-6-2006 by mecheng]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng

dnero,
Could you give some examples of how you specifically used your thoughts to influence an outcome? How do you intially prepare yourself mentally? How do you 'think positively'? Do you do anything special throughout the day to 'follow through' with your initial thoughts to make them happen?

Also, could you explain a bit more about how you said your thoughts usually affect others rather than yourself directly?

okay, well first off about the preparation... no... not particularly, nothing is necessary except a desire, and it has to be a real desire (real meaning you actually want to see it to its end).... next is a revision of all the possible ways you could obtain what you desire yourself.... next would be a revision of all the possible ways in our society it would be possible... next would be a revision of everything that could go wrong... or how u might not see this desire though... next would be to "move forward" go past all of it, don't think of the revisions, just think of the desire... and MOVE... just do... another thing to keep in mind here, is I never think that events or things that happen during the are getting me closer or further away from my goal. Everything just is.

... you can hardly ever get your desires for yourself... (unless a desire for understanding, or for something to do exclusively with spiritual developement)
which is kinda IMO Gods way of forcing the brotherhood of man...
Your friends and family will reap amazing benefits from your new-found knowledge and abilities... don't let this anger or make a jealous fool of you... and don't expect things thinking you created it.... sure u did... shutup except it and be humble, let whoever enjoy it and reap the benefits of a happy friend or family member.

Now.. ur take on the whole christian thing.. well.. nothing is bad, no desire evil... Guilt is Sin... The church is no judge worth being judged by.

Even murder can be looked at in duality.
It is evil, in the sense that it takes someones freewill, it hurts friends and family.
It's also good when it saves your freewill... You could argue murder is always evil but you eat murdered animals and plants, I'm sure you would murder if it meant your life, or someones you care about.

Therefore if you find yourself guilty for any desire, condition your mind, find out your internal reasons for the guilt, move the mountain if necessary.

Mod Edit: Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I spend a lot of time, NOT-DOING... or NOT-DESIRING ... in a sense building energy for things that come up that are worth desiring... I exist in my "own" world... like Raja Yoga, I am the center... like crowley Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. DO NOT do things you don't want to do, or don't like doing, that takes away from your person power... your energy. Don't attempt to TRICK yourself into doing things you don't like... You have to actually like it, wholly... like work for some people... don't do it because you like money... u'll be injuring yourself every moment your working, you'll be serving another master while working for another... i.e.... your focus will be on something non-existant while your in the moment supposed to be doing it for the sake of doing it.

We don't (or should I say SHOULDN'T) do things for the end or result... Just like a musician doesn't make a song (a meaningful song / actual music) for the end because it would take the focus off of the rest of it... Focus should be applied like a laser to your every moment... while making everything else a passenger, while your focus drives everything. Keep one focus driving at a time.. a focus is a desire so, the focus is enlightenment....

about enlightenment:

enlightenment isn't something you gain.....
You ALWAYS have it...

enlightenment is contentment in everything, it is peace, pleasantness

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I spend a lot of time, NOT-DOING... or NOT-DESIRING ... in a sense building energy for things that come up that are worth desiring... I exist in my "own" world... like Raja Yoga, I am the center... like crowley Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. DO NOT do things you don't want to do, or don't like doing, that takes away from your person power... your energy. Don't attempt to TRICK yourself into doing things you don't like... You have to actually like it, wholly... like work for some people... don't do it because you like money... u'll be injuring yourself every moment your working, you'll be serving another master while working for another... i.e.... your focus will be on something non-existant while your in the moment supposed to be doing it for the sake of doing it.

That's all well and dandy in theory... but in today's world, that is simply not a viable option for most working-aged people. I don't go to work because I like it. I don't go to work because I like money. I go to work because I have to survive. That's called the REAL world.

There are things in life that we don't like and don't like to do... but we must. That is one of life's basic lessons and one that most people learn at a fairly young age. You don't need enlightenment to figure that one out.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I saw this movie a while back because I used to belong to a spirituality group and all the other members ranted and raved about it. I felt I was very dissapointed. The so-called scientific "evidence" didn't convince me of anything and I actually felt that the film was encouraging viewers to completly deny negative emotions all together which makes people supress those feelings and in turn causes them to build up inside which is never good.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I didn't see the movie, but positive reinforcement is something i've always practiced. I learned it when I was a kid and was told that "some people see the glass half empty, some people see it half full". The negative "half empty" attitude never appealed to me no matter how bad i was acting and I always look forwards to the rainbow after the storm.

Here's something i've taken notice of recently and have been applying into my life a bit at a time.

I was doing a bit of reading on Japanese culture and got to their practice of serving and drinking Tea.

There is a certain way to handle the tea, to present it, to serve it and consume it. What I had read was very explicit in the way this 'rutial' should be performed and I was drawing a blank as to why someone would waste their time on something so simple.

Then it all made sense to me.

The idea is to enjoy the moment at hand; to absorb yourself into the 'ritual' and savor the elegance of the act you are performing. And to do so with such precision and thoughtfulness, concentrating on the moment at hand, you can experience sincere delight from such a simple act.

That's how I interpreted it... and that's a very simple explanation of what i'm trying to put into words. It's a train of thought I can honestly say i've never even considered in my lifetime; that you should take the time to savor each moment you have and treat it with the respect.

I've had a pretty challenging life with all the bad choices i've made and all the things that have gone wrong. While i've always looked for the bright side of things, it's definitely taken it's toll and I do at times find myself struggling with trying to figure out what exactly it is that I want in out of life.

This opened my eyes to the fact that I don't necessarily have to desire any certain thing in life; rather I ought to look at making each moment of life enjoyable in itself with my actions.

To see things in that prespective has added a whole new dimension to the understanding of my existence and i'm glad that it's something i'm learning at an early age.

I definitely attribute the person that I am to the fact that I always look for the better and accept that what's been done in the past, nobody can change.

[edit on 24-6-2006 by vinrock]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat

That's all well and dandy in theory... but in today's world, that is simply not a viable option for most working-aged people. I don't go to work because I like it. I don't go to work because I like money. I go to work because I have to survive. That's called the REAL world.

There are things in life that we don't like and don't like to do... but we must. That is one of life's basic lessons and one that most people learn at a fairly young age. You don't need enlightenment to figure that one out.

It **IS** the 'REAL' world???? I'm afraid it's whatever you choose it to be...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I am so glad this thread was started...
I firmly beleive (and have scientific and evidenciary proof for why) that this process works...

I will gladly share my manifestations thru this process, as a method of building momentum for this project...

First piece of evidence i have is the proof of placebo drugs...
second, is the scientific statement "energy cannot be destroyed, only change forms"
third is the overwhelming evidence that i have recieved all along the path of my spiritual growth...

an earlier poster commented that this doesn't work for everyone...
It does and it doesn't... it WILL work for anyone... but perhaps is not the best way, if someone has already built in boundaries of understanding...

This is why organized religions work better for some people...
i give this analogy...
give a poor man a shiny rock, and unless he can understand that it is a precious metal, and can be exchanged for dollars, then it does no good... makes a great paperweight though

Some people only speak in religious language, and wont hear any other form...
even if it is the same words...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
an earlier poster commented that this doesn't work for everyone...
It does and it doesn't... it WILL work for anyone... but perhaps is not the best way, if someone has already built in boundaries of understanding...

not sure if you were refering to my comment.. but... I meant it doesn't work for the person trying to do the creating.. that is... utilizing thought for money: my friends end up winning the lottery.. it's within my quantum field, and DOES benefit me in a suddle way, if not in a big way..
In my experience things are given to Your Brotherhood... (meaning the people around you) even if it's "enlightenment" or understanding that you seek... ur drops into the pool create concentric patterns.. in other words your thoughts flow into your daily life and hit everyone and everything your involved in.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
well said dnero...

i thought of another related event to the columbus ship instance in the movie...
not so much about what someone sees, but what someone believes to be possible...

In boy scouts, we (without knowing) were tapping into this truth...

A common problem with cooking and sitting around a campfire, is being in the path of the smoke. It is very uncomfortable, but not a little less so, than not enjoying its warmth on a cold night, so a method of overcoming this situation occured.

"i hate cats" (i actually love them, and never associated the saying with "cats") was the magical phrase, that was found to ALWAYS make the wind blow another direction...

One group found this truth, and successive groups employed it with equal belief... and in so doing made a nonsensical phrase, a way of manifesting an actual change in the environment.
It wasn't the words (which were silly)... it wasn't the people...
it was the belief and historic proof that it had worked, that made the wind change direction (often in that campfire area only).

still works to this day... I made some camping buddies (catlovers) sneer when it did... then i told them that the original statement came from a campfire tale, that smoke looked like cats fighting as it rolled away from the fire...
it is all about faith...

and dnero... I think you have a great way of going about this...
What could possibly be better, than to manifest without any selfish wish...
I say this true. Your friends are lucky...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
interesting subject.. Im getting harassed on the theology thread...people dont think quantum physics is religion

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Your life is a reflection of your perspective on it. If you go around seeing things as being terrible than they inherantly will be.

It's up to you.

I was diagnosed and do suffer from depression. It's just a chemical imbalance that I decided I wouldn't allow to control me. I realized that happiness is a choice. Thats all it is. Decide to be happy and you will be.

Your life is your own to claim, or you can run around being the victim of circumstance. It's up to you.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it though bringing the Ramtha channeler into the mix was a bit over the top. JZ Knight is too far out there even for me.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm a Spiritual Anarchist. Free the chains from your mind and the chains on your soul will go away.

Glad I found this thread. I look forward to following it.

wupy

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Back in the 1956 Dr. Norman Vincent Peale wrote a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking" that firmly established the principles involved in such thinking. The Dr. won worldwide acclaim for that book and went on to write two or three other related books. President John F. Kennedy touted the book as a very beneficial influence in his own life.

Much evidence over the years has been collected that firmly establish the value of such thinking and acting. I didn't watch the video you referred to, but it sounds like someone else is trying to cash in on Dr. Peale's work.

[edit on 27-6-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I haven't read Dr. Peale's book. But the "WTBDWK" video tries to tie in the science of quantum physics into the positive thinking theory by explaining it in an easy to understand way. Some of it IMO is a bit of a stretch for me. However I firmly believe in the underlying premis that we can influence our reality by using our mind and thinking in a positive way... at the very least, what's the worst that can come of it. A world full of happy, positive, supportive people? Boy, that would suck

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I loved this movie and it supported a lot of what I've been discovering, learning and participating in over the past 20 years of my life. In 1995, I took a class (a new-thought-type class) and one of the things we studied was what we wanted our lives to look like in the future.

At the time, both my husband (who I also brought into my life with this method) and I were working in the very high tech industry in a large metropolitan city. My vision for my future involved drawing a picture of where I wanted to be living in as much detail as possible. When finished, my picture included a log cabin, mountains, my husband, dogs and cats, a garden, flowers, blue sky and lots of space.

Now, to 2 'techies', this seemed an impossible dream! (My husband did his own drawing and ours were remarkably similar).

But here we are, in our farm house (brick instead of log) at 6000' with mountains all around, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a garden, flowers, the cobalt blue skies on 5 acres outside a small town, living in the drawing. We've been here for about 5 years.

I really wish we could all sit around and talk about this stuff because it's one of my favorite subjects. I guess we'll have to do with a cyber circle instead, huh?

I have more to say but want to read the entries so far. I'll be back.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join