It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean vortex 'death trap' discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Ocean vortex 'death trap' discovered

A MASSIVE ocean vortex discovered off the West Australian coast is acting as a "death trap" by sucking in huge amounts of fish larvae and could affect the surrounding climate.

A team of scientists from The University of Western Australia Murdoch University, CSIRO and three American, French and Spanish research institutions announced the discovery of the vortex after a month-long research voyage in the ocean just west of Rottnest Island.

Led by Dr Anya Waite, a biological oceanographer from UWA, the 10-member team found the vortex – 200km in diameter and 1000m deep – spinning at speeds up to 5kph just off the Rottnest Canyon.

More...

Fascinating!

The world is an amazing place indeed.

[edit on 3-6-2006 by loam]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Have there been any pics of this vortex floating around? That would be a cool thing to check out. Video would be nice tooo.

Pie

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Could this work with Berumda Triangle?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Fascinating, indeed. It says this thing is visible from Space!

I doubt a vortex plays any major role in the 'Triangle' because if there were such a vortex in the area, I think they would've found it or at least developed it as a possible explanation for some of the weird things going on down there.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
Fascinating, indeed. It says this thing is visible from Space!

I wonder if anyone who has Google Earth can actually see this thing or when they say see it from space do they mean using infra-red or some other means of viewing it?

Pie

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Well, you can't really see a vortex, but it looks like it would be a good place for one. . .

Maybe it's a super sneaky fish stealing machine.

The article says the climate above the vortex is noticably different, resembling the tropics, that would weird me out a bit if i sailed through it without knowing about it.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Amazing man,
Nice find

How long has this thing been there for? is it stationary or dose it move?
Very very interesting the reply about the bermuda triangle spins in my mind aswell.

Omega

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Agreed. Excellent thread. Very interesting development.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The vortex is travelling around 5 km/hr and is just off the coast of Rockingham.

The interesting thing is that the satellite photo shows an island at the dead centre of it.

Sorry, can't show the photo - I only saw it on the news tonight.

Cheers

JS

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace

...The interesting thing is that the satellite photo shows an island at the dead centre of it.

JS, Can you provide coordinates?

B.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
One word: HARRP Maybe this is how they want to start off the new hurricane season?

I would also like to see pictures also.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

The vortex is travelling around 5 km/hr and is just off the coast of Rockingham.

Did they say in what direction it was heading?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Loam, you are excellent providing information.

Is this vortex unusual?

And if it is not a common event, it sounds as if we have a kind of hurricane in the sea...

Something to keep a close eye on.

Thanks for your post,
Ptolomeo

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have been checking around, and look at this!

During a pole shift and the days preceding a pole shift there are many forces affecting the oceans which, when applied to the atmosphere, create tornadoes. As any child watching water run down a drain can note, a swirling vortex is created in the center of rapidly dropping water...
Cold arctic water may have been thrust on top of warmer water, and as with tornadoes, when the thrust that caused this situation stops, the cold water will suddenly drop, creating a vortex.

Source: Zetatalk

(Please, follow the link to read the whole note.)

I thought I had to share it with you, because it is the first information I have found on an ocean vortex...

[edit on 3-6-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Excellent find, Ptolomeo!

*loam looks for his seat-belt*

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thank you, Loam.

The first thought I had about the vortex was a hurricane... But an ocean vortex during or before a polar shift is really amazing.

I have never checked what might happen if a polar shift occurs, but it seems we should take a look... Possibly we can find a clue for all this - unusual - events.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's some info if it helps... AAC

www.nepanewsletter.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
intresting find
anyone got a picture of a vortex? would love to see one

this actually kind of freaks me out a bit, does it move across the ocean or is it stationary?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Have you read the full article about the ocean vortex?

Have I read right?

300 km. wide and 1 km. deep ?

Visible from Space
Changing climate, sucking fishes, lobsters... Changing environment...
And they say it cannot cause any harm for humans sailing on that location?
Come on.

I also wonder if it is stationary or not... I would love to see a picture...

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The interesting thing is that the satellite photo shows an island at the dead centre of it.

Couldn't it be a seamount (underwater mountain if anyone doesn't know) that has been exposed, if it is a kilometer deep.

What could provide enough energy to move that amount of water like that?

Doesn't a pole shift basically turn off the protection from cosmic rays and all solar radiation?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join