It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JAS 39 Gripen-N. Sweet Upgrade

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Adapted to use Kongsberg NSM. Two extra centerpylons. NORWAY

More fuel tanks.

Normal GRIPEN

Modified GRIPEN with LANDING GEAR MOVED

GRIPEN DENMARK

www.gripen.com...
This little plane just keeps getting cooler and cooler.
A Gripen loaded with four Meteor, two ASRAAM, and three (or four I guess) tanks is indeed a mean machine.
Maybe typhoon engine with some added ooomph!!!!!!!
Maybe new designation of Gripen E/F in the long term.

[edit on 27-5-2006 by Jezza]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
looks good but i have to say that i couldnt see the difference betweent he old landing gear configuration and the new.

I always thought that the gripen was a light weight multi role fighter, is it still a lightweight fighter? if it isnt lightweight anymore then is it now competing with 2 engined planes such as f/a-18, eurofighter, rafale and f-15.

justin

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
looks good but i have to say that i couldnt see the difference betweent he old landing gear configuration and the new. justin

Look at the strut relative to the intake. They are further out now.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
ahh my mistake i was looking at the bit highlighted in red.

justin

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
not half bad. For a light multirole this thing is pretety impressive. What's the price tag on one of these?

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
I always thought that the gripen was a light weight multi role fighter, is it still a lightweight fighter? if it isnt lightweight anymore then is it now competing with 2 engined planes such as f/a-18, eurofighter, rafale and f-15.

justin

It is set to compete against the JSF, particularly for the Norway contract. It will still remain in the F-16 class though.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The griphen sure is a sexy and good plane.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
In my opinion, that Conformal Fuel Tank should be fitted on upper side, just like F-16 block60

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
nice, even though I think the Norwegians will choose the JSF... A nice plane though...

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Now I'm in love...

Our AF just last year got first Gripens and now we operate twelve C plus two D... Ahem, still just with AIM-9L/M's as our genial ministry forgot to buy some decent misslies
THere is some deal for AMRAAM's but AFAIK they aren't here yet...

But this upgrade...

Yummy!

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I must say that the plane is very sleek and rubust at the same time kinda like the avenger looking a little bit like it, as well. The Danish version looks cool love the mix of blue in there reminds me of the planes of ww1 and the italian planes of ww2 beautiful colors.

saab should make a bomber a fast bomber or a bombbus

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t

saab should make a bomber a fast bomber or a bombbus

Maybe a twin engined much strengthend and lengthend gripen ?

Would this be a feasable plan? not the need in the sweedish AF im sure , but if the costs could be kept down , im sure it could sell.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Cost of the modification would probably make it much more expensive than for example F/A-18.

Much more economicaly effective solution to smaller countries airborne dirt moving needs would be a subsonic plane in the size of S-3 Viking..

But the Norwegian variant looks cool, i'd trade our F-18 for that anytime

[edit on 29-5-2006 by northwolf]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Cost of the modification would probably make it much more expensive than for example F/A-18.

Yeah , I had the F/A-18 in my head when I was thinking of a twin engined gripen.

I suppose the ej-2000(correct designation of typhoon engine?) engine and a lengthening of the fuselage would be a more sensible plan.

I must agree that I love the look of theese proposed gripens I am a big fan of the SAAB aircraft , and always have been.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
that would amount to reinventing the Typhoon and Rafale though and I don't think the world is crying out for a third aircraft in that class. France can't even sell the Rafale to anyone.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
that would amount to reinventing the Typhoon and Rafale though and I don't think the world is crying out for a third aircraft in that class. France can't even sell the Rafale to anyone.

Wasn't seriously proposing it waynos just speculating is all , more powerful engines for the Gripen have been considered have they not ?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
installing more powerful engines is a bit different from the complete redesign and scale-up that would be necessary to accomodate two engines though. I wasn't criticising the idea so much as pointing out why SAAB wont be doing it.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
According to me teh F4140G-400 is gond choice of Sweden because it is similar to RM012 but most powerful.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
i like this plane alot. and i hope Denmark will buy this plane instead of JSF

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
link

On April 26, 2007, Norway and Sweden signed a Memorandum of Understanding on co-operation in development work on the future versions of Gripen, worth NOK 150 million (currently about $25 million) over 2 years, with the option to further extend the agreement.

There was also a Letter of Agreement (LoA) signed between Norway and Saab subsidiary Gripen International that will enable Norwegian companies to undertake advanced development work in a range of high technology areas, such as composites, communication systems, studies and integration work for Norwegian weapon systems, ammunition, logistics and data systems connected to the development of the future JAS-39 Gripen.

The JAS-39N proposed for Norway as a replacement for its F-16s represents an improved Gripen variant. Gripen International's January 2007 presentation to Norway promises:

A heavier aircraft with more fuel capacity (empty weight +300kg to 8,100 kg, max. takeoff weight rises from 14,000 kg to 16,000 kg, but internal fuel rises 38%).
Weapons pylons increase from 8 to 10.
Extended range due to increased external and internal fuel capacity.
New engine in 22,000+ pound thrust class; presentation touts "supercruise" though this would likely be in near-clean condition only if at all. GE's F414, produced in partnership with Volvo Aero and in use on the Super Hornet, would offer a 25% power upgrade but requires a number of design modifications.
AESA Radar, probably based on Saab Ericsson's "Nora" project.
New and repositioned landing gear
Improved computing and avionics, including satellite communication, improved datalinks, and improved electronic warfare via jammer pod integration and other measures.

Seems like Norway is keeping its options open.
A bit like aussies getting rhinos as bridging fighter

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join