It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bermuda Triangle

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Greetings all. i hope you are well.
I would just like to talk about the Triangle.
what do u think it is??
where do u think the ships and planes went?
and questions like that.

thanks

Omega

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think there are many, many possible explanations for those disappearances. In all likelyhood, all those planes and ships are at the bottom of the ocean.

But if there truly is something that has to do with time distortions, really the possibilities are endless. Alternate realities? Maybe they "made it back" but not to this reality. Maybe they travelled back or forward througth time. Maybe they were snuffed out of existence. Maybe they were abducted.

It's one of my favorite paranormal subjects. I remember the Sci-Fi original "The Triangle" and for some reason, I think part of the story had to do with U.S. Navy experiments, the Philadelphia Experiment etc., that created the Triangle in the first place. But that could just be fiction.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
Greetings all. i hope you are well.
I would just like to talk about the Triangle.
what do u think it is??
where do u think the ships and planes went?
and questions like that.

thanks

Omega

Im very interested in the Bermuda triangle! It seems to have been one of those topics that has died down in the last 10-20 years (at least I havent heard about any new dissapearances!).

Personally I think that it is a little more than just bad weather, more like a combination of different factors that when combined, make it a very Dangerous place indeed!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
greetings all.
Yes this is a fascinating subject indeed.
the philidelphia experiment may have something to do with it too.
i wonder what happend to them?
it is as if they went through to a parralell universe .
Wonderouse subject really.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Here is an interesting story if you are interested. This supposedly happened to a tugboat captain as he was towing a barge through to Puerto Rico.

Bermuda story

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
I remember the Sci-Fi original "The Triangle" and for some reason, I think part of the story had to do with U.S. Navy experiments, the Philadelphia Experiment etc., that created the Triangle in the first place. But that could just be fiction.

Spoilers ahead for this movie:

The entire premise of The Triangle was that the U.S. government did start the triangle while working on the Phildelphia experiment. While trying to make the U.S.S. Eldritch invisible, they set off a chain reaction that sent ripples through the space time continium.

This ripple caused planes to appear in a different time, entire bridges vanished, people got their skin ripped off and was sent to the 21st century from the 15th century.

Eventually the ripples fell back upon themselves, fixing everything that had went wrong throughout time, so no one remembered anything aobut the Triangle or any of the events connected to it.

As for what the real triangle, I don't think it's anything special. It doesn't have anymore disappearances than normal for any other area of the world, and a lower number in some cases.

Though there are a few interesting cases, if they can be believed. The one with the tugboat captain, the few planes that have arrived 2 hours late with everyone's watch running behind, and the one plane that arrived 4 hours before it could have.

It's probably just a combination of bad weather, methane gas pockets being released, rogue waves, and the weird magnetic occurances causing most of the "vanishings".

I would love to believe that something paranormal was going on here, but there just isn't much evidence to support it.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen

Though there are a few interesting cases, if they can be believed. The one with the tugboat captain, the few planes that have arrived 2 hours late with everyone's watch running behind, and the one plane that arrived 4 hours before it could have.

It's probably just a combination of bad weather, methane gas pockets being released, rogue waves, and the weird magnetic occurances causing most of the "vanishings".

I would love to believe that something paranormal was going on here, but there just isn't much evidence to support it.

So those examples you listed...... how would you explain those using non-paranormal explanations? How would methane gas, rogue waves, weird magnetic occurences cause a plane to arrive 4 hours ahead of schedule?

I think there is something weird going on out there... but granted, it is not on the scale as what it is made out to be.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Omega85 made a really interesting contribution to the tinWiki website today on this subject. While I am familiar with the methane field bubble theory, and the freak wave theory, one thing that I found very interesting is that within the Bermuda Triangle, all compasses will point to true north, not to magnetic north. According to the US Navy website there it is only one of two places on Earth where that is known to occur.

I think thats really odd.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by William One Sac]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Honestly, I haven't seen anything in any verified Bermuda Triangle story that couldn't be explained by one of the following:

1.) Bad Weather - almost every account details a sudden lack of horizon. For such a thing to occur, it would require an extremely high atmospheric saturation of particulates (namely, water), and a heavily overcast sky (see water vapor). Loss of color definition as well as horizon visibility would make it almost impossible to tell sky from sea without instruments, which brings up the second factor...

2.) Electromagnetic Interference - EMFs are the result of electron flow. Normally it'd be from charged wires, but charged water vapor will work just as well. In case you doubt the ability of water vapor to hold a charge, I invite you to research the origin of lightning. Given the right conditions of temperature, water evaporation, and any source of power, you could end up with something as minor as a wildly fluctuating metal instrument (like a compass, altimeter, or artificial horizon).

3.) Similar Terrain - There are a lot of islands and peninsulas that look a lot alike. In low visibility conditions they can be easily mistaken for each other. If your horizon is missing, your instrument panel has gone haywire, and your only remaining source of navigational data are physical landmarks, it could be quite easy to end up off-course.

Since there's pretty much -nothing- east of Bermuda till you hit Africa, nothing North until you hit Greenland, nothing South till you hit Antarctica, if you end up heading pretty much any direction instead of west, you're screwed unless you've got enough resources to last long enough to figure it out and head back.

Really, if there's any mystery at all, it's what total accumulation of factors are causing such an insane amount of water vapor in such a short amount of time as frequently as it happens.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I know many have already been touched upon above... but I believe it may be a number of reasons:

-Methane bubble theory rsing from the sea floor into the air.
-Strong magnetic interference, messing up compass readings and the like.
- Something supernatural, if my memory decieves me I think there is another mysterious triangle almost exactly on the other side of the globe (I will look into this). I have also heard of a similar Japanese triangle, i'm not sure of the exact position but I am sure it is named after the Devil or something similar.
-Pirates are stil active in surrounding areas which could explain for several missing boats.
-Underwater earthquakes have been blamed for literally swalling up ships
- And of course time displacement/ vortexs'/ aliens are also possible theories!

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Reading up on it now there seems to be a similar account amongst survivors where the sea and air seem to combine in a mass and the horizon is no longer visible and planes flying seem to be engulfed in a thick fog...

LINK

Good reading info on survivors accounts ^^^

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Nice topic, Omega85, and congrats on the TinWiki submission.

Another effect of the 'methane field bubbling' mentioned is this;

www.crystalinks.com...

... methane in the engine throws off the mix of fuel and air. Aircraft engines burn hydrocarbons (gasoline or jet fuel) with oxygen provided by the air. When the ambient oxygen levels drop, combustion can stop, and the engine stalls. All of these effects of methane gas have been shown experimentally.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I am surprised no one has noted some strange reports of 'Crafts' coming from out of the water, and again returning/diving into the water.

I can not recall where I saw this, but it was a NEWS (CNN or Fox) report, and they were discussing observations of some Coloration Changes off one of the Carribbean Islands. The water becomes some different shade of Blue, compared to the rest of the water, and in the middle of these effected areas, people where watching Crafts, (UFO's) shooting out of the water at extreme rates of speed and being gone from view in a few moments.

Likewise, they also noted craft 'incoming' to the same locations. It was 'within' an area suggested to be the Triangle

I note the Following as an confirmation this is the type of reports that are occuring

In the waters off Andros island, strange craft have been seen from time to time which not only resemble UFOs, but which display the same unbelievable swiftness of motion and execute the same incredibly sharp turns. A Viennese businessman told me that, once, when he was yachting off the coast of Andros, he glimpsed, two miles away (it was a very clear day), in waters over a mile-and-a-half deep, a motionless object he thought was a whale. Coming to within almost half-a-mile of the object-which was now gleaming oddly-the yachter observed that it was some kind of man-made craft of ultramodern design.

Suddenly, the craft took off in a southerly direction at what my informant described as a "lunatic speed." It sped along the surface of the water. Then, abruptly, it disappeared beneath the waves, not to be seen again.

www.atlantisrising.com...

Andros is also the site of a US Top Secret Militrry installation of sorts, so who knows. There is quite a bit on this in the link.

I'm not sold in either direction myself, but it makes one wonder what is exactly down there. Portals Opening? UFO's? Military Tech Testing?

Something's going on.

Interesting Post, and hope it finds some answers.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The variance between magnetic north and true north is known as magnetic declination.

Along the Southern California coast magnetic north is 14 degrees west of true north.

The zero line - meaning the compass points at true north and magnetic north - does not require any corrections.
The zero line in the US runs through New Orleans.

Along the east coast near New York magnetic north is 15 degrees east of true north.

You can do coastal navigation without correcting for true north, but if you're a long distance traveler on the world's oceans you need to correct courses to true north to get an accurate dead reckoning picture over the course of several days or weeks depending on the speed of the ship.

The Bermuda Triangle has a magnetic declination of 6 degrees east to about 15 degrees east.

Note that there are things called magnetic anomalies and they're shown on both nautical charts and aircraft sectionals.
Charts and sectionals being the names for what most of us ground pounders know as maps.
Magnetic anomalies will deflect a compass needle anywhere from the maximum anomaly listed to an almost zero point depending on where you as regards outer edges of the anomaly.

There's a magnetic anomaly of about 15-20 degrees west of Reno and another off the Southern California coast that is about 20-25 degrees.

Traveling within these anomalies can get you lost and/or confused for a little while so you need to shoot bearings as well as note the position of the sun and do a little comparing.

I believe there are six places on the earth similar to the Bermuda and Japanese Triangles and they're spaced around the earth the same distance apart.

One of my thoughts about the Bermuda Triangle and possibly others is that there is a large magnetic anomaly that may not always be present.

I note that since the advent of Loran and GPS mysterious disappearances have either quit happening or the number of lost and missing events is smaller than it used to be.

(Loran is sort of an early version of GPS that uses base stations to tell you where you are instead of satellites.)

'Course, as foolproof as GPS seems to be, introduce a little human error and fail to keep a running log of landmarks passed - especially in aircraft - don't refer to charts or sectionals and blindly follow the needle will get you lost beyond your wildest dreams....

(Edited to add a touch more info.)

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Desert Dawg]

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Desert Dawg]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
...I think part of the story had to do with U.S. Navy experiments, the Philadelphia Experiment etc...,

The mythical Philadelphia Experiment' and the 'Bermuda Triangle' are linked in a way.

Both are pure fabrications from the imagination of Charles Berlitz (the same Berlitz of language school fame), who wrote books on these and other topics. He took a few misunderstood (non-)events and wove them with many invented 'facts' and 'incidents' into B grade science fiction tales.

According to Lloyd's of London there are no more unexplained ship disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle than any other comparable section of ocean. They have the records of almost every ship sinking in the world. I will believe their analysis over someone with a book or movie to sell.

The 'Philadelphia Experiment' was most likely nothing more than a routine hull degaussing, which was done on a regular basis to ships all over the world as part of normal maintenance. Still done to this day.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
hmmmmmmm i wonder how someone can fabricate a story into a pure phisical phenomenon? it may explain the ships but what about the plains??

Project Rainbow is no mere mythical subject, it is fact and there are loads of ducuments out there to prove it.
The two subjects may be linked due to similer facts regarding each other but i doubt very much that there is nothing going on here.

Just a thought
Omega

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Omega85]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I ask again... what could cause a plane to arrive 4 hours ahead of schedule?

There are no conventional explanations that could apply to this case.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
That is true, though if it cant be explained, what would u think it is??
Its really interesting this topic.

Omega85

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
oo a topic i love

there have been many mysteries surrounding the bermuda triangle, therer have been a few plausble theories posted here already about it.

one theory that went around was that it was some sort of stargate
explained here

this site is good it goes in detail about the disapearences of planes and where the triangle is situated
here

this site goes on to say that it has something to do with vortices again maybe something different to look in to worth a look
www.deepinfo.com...

this subject has been debated and debated, debunked by some and not others i think that personally the bermuda triangle and other similar places around the world maybe some sort of tear in time if that makes sence they touch on the subject here
discused here

intresting topic to say the least

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The Bermuda Triangle covers an area of vital importance to international shipping, thousands of boats and planes pass through it every year. Some of them are going to get lost, its inevitable.

Because it is such a major area of international shipping it isn't surprising that more vessels are lost there than say, off the coast of antarctica where ships dont go very often.

Now if there was an area of sea of the coast of Antarctica where people didnt go very often and boats always went missing we'd have a mystery.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join