It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio Public Service Announcement - Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I was listening to my local Public Radio Station and an interesting public service announcement came on. The announcement stated "The bird flu affects birds, not humans." It then went on to say that is was still OK to hunt and eat birds, but you should wash your hands and knifes after cleaning birds.

Since Alaska is on the migratory path of several bird species comming over from Russia (and China) as well as from the lower 48 and Canada, flu infected birds are expected at any time. I was suprised at the service announce statement and am wondering why they do not acknowledge that humans can contract bird flu.

Since many rural Alaska residents use birds as a subsistance food, I am wondering what effect announcements like this will have on the rural (and mostly native) populations that nay not have the desire to change how they traditionally process animals.

Just an interesting note - I have not seen any humming birds yet this year - usually they are here earlier - maybe they know somethign we don't

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sacrifice

The announcement stated "The bird flu affects birds, not humans." It then went on to say that is was still OK to hunt and eat birds, but you should wash your hands and knifes after cleaning birds.

Oh my. Heating the meat to 165 degrees does kill the virus. But there are a few danger points between the wing and the plate...

Since Alaska is on the migratory path of several bird species comming over from Russia (and China) as well as from the lower 48 and Canada, flu infected birds are expected at any time. I was suprised at the service announce statement and am wondering why they do not acknowledge that humans can contract bird flu.

Since many rural Alaska residents use birds as a subsistance food, I am wondering what effect announcements like this will have on the rural (and mostly native) populations that nay not have the desire to change how they traditionally process animals.

Brings a whole new meaning to the traditional policies of benign neglect. Maybe some ownership issues about the oil?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I wanted to hear the announcement again, so I kept PBS on. The announcement was sponsored and narrated by an Alaska Native group, so I doubt that there are any oil issues. Actually, most of the Native groups in AK want drilling in Northern AK, as they profit from this and have seen the benefits of oil (and the proposed natural gas pipline) in the form or royalities, jobs, an so forth.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Odd.

Alaska Natives likely to be exposed to bird flu

Alaska Natives may be the the most likely people in North America to be exposed to the avian flu virus because they depend for food on wild migratory birds from Asia, a health care expert said Thursday.

Reuters

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacrifice
I wanted to hear the announcement again, so I kept PBS on. The announcement was sponsored and narrated by an Alaska Native group...

I wonder where they get their information.

... I doubt that there are any oil issues. ...most of the Native groups in AK want drilling in Northern AK, as they profit from this and have seen the benefits of oil (and the proposed natural gas pipline) in the form or royalities, jobs, an so forth.

So the oil companies would come out way ahead if the natives all died, right? No royalties to pay, no sharing profits...

new topics

top topics

join