It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Launches Largest Air Raid In Iraq Since 2003

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It would appear that there were far more insurgents operating in the very same area where the US launched air strikes yesterday that may have killed several Iraqis yesterday. This strike new area is approximately 5 miles from the first attack.

Yahoo News

The U.S. military said on Thursday it launched its biggest air offensive in Iraq since the 2003 invasion to root out insurgents near a town where recent violence raised fears of civil war.

A military statement said the operation involving more than 50 aircraft and 1,500 Iraqi and U.S. troops as well as 200 tactical vehicles targeted suspected insurgents operating near the town of Samarra, 100 km (60 miles) north of Baghdad.

The statement said "Operation Swarmer" was launched on Thursday morning and is "expected to continue for several days as a thorough search of the objective area is conducted."

[.....]

"Initial reports from the objective area indicate that a number of enemy weapons caches have been captured, containing artillery shells, explosives, IED-(bomb) making materials, and military uniforms," said the statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Again proof positive there are in fact insurgents in the area contrary to what some claim, since they have located and captured arms and IEDS. Shame on those that lie and say they were not in the area.

I have a suspicion this perhaps is one of the reasons they moved 700 US troops from Kuwait. This is just speculation on my part, but I also think that perhaps when they captured the one individual they also obtained intel on where the stashes of weapons and insurgents are.

[edit on 3/16/2006 by shots]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
How do you tell an insurgent from a local fed up with the war?

Please explain.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Please explain.

The very same way police tell innocents from criminals in the US. They watch their actions and movements.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sorry but everytime the polls drop there seems to be some "event" in Iraq or around the world so this administration can wrap itself in the flag.

Of course there are insugents but I would question how many are terrorist and how many see themselves as patriots.

We never seem to figure that out. Terrorist kill innocents. Patriots attempt to eject invaders. Sadly many Iraqis see us as the invaders.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

The very same way police tell innocents from criminals in the US. They watch their actions and movements.

And when do you know when the police is also involve in the insurgency in Iraq?

Or when do you know when the police is also corrupt and performing assasinations?

In Iraq nobody knows who is who.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

And when do you know when the police is also involve in the insurgency in Iraq?

Or when do you know when the police is also corrupt and performing assasinations?

In Iraq nobody knows who is who.

The question asked was how do the American Military identify them or that was the impression I got. That is why I answered with what I did.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Whoa a bigest air offensive since the invasion.

I guess the new shipment of white phosphorus have arrived in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I understand shots, that is why is so many casualties when assaults like this happen, because truly the way things are with the population in sectarian fight not body can trust no body.

And yes is very sad to know that an assault of this magnitude will be performed.

Because radiation very soon the people in Iraq are going to start glowing like night sticks.

They are still picking up pieces of the bombs and ammo use in previous assaults.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Please explain.

1500 of the forces involved are Iraqi security forces, its their job to know.

And it is really moot anyways, aim a gun at the ISF or coalition and it hardly matters, you are going to be killed.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Operations Shwarma, huh?

I'll take mine with extra cabbage.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
In a situation like Iraq, where there are no clear sides (besides our soldiers versus whoever), there is going to be confusion, uncertainty, and mistakes.

Heads of our security forces are sifting through all the intelligence gathered and trying to make the best decisions on what they know, or believe they know. It's a sad, hard situation.

Then there's the bias on all sides; the political parties, the media, and in American homes. I find myself changing views on the Iraqi war almost daily.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Because radiation very soon the people in Iraq are going to start glowing like night sticks.

Sounds like you have been reading far too many sci fi novels Marg. Contrary to what some want you to think Radiation is not as bad as their propaganda make it out to be.

If the radiation was as bad as you and others think, why then are US forces not affected by it?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

If the radiation was as bad as you and others think, why then are US forces not affected by it?

Actually shots is a nice documentary in Showtime called battleground and it does show how much radiation leaks are affecting certain areas in Iraq.

Perhaps you should watch it, it will not change your mind about the war in Iraq but it will enlighten you as what radiation can do and who in Iraq is going to be affected by it.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Looks like they are moving metal to Iraq in anticipation of the Iran assault. Not sure yet who will lead it if it is Israel or the US. I guess it depends on who is talking the most before the strike.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Actually shots is a nice documentary in Showtime called battleground and it does show how much radiation leaks are affecting certain areas in Iraq.

Perhaps you should watch it, it will not change your mind about the war in Iraq but it will enlighten you as what radiation can do and who in Iraq is going to be affected by it.

Just what does DU have to do with this current series of offenses? Nothing, DU is used against tanks/heavy armour in case you do not know it and insurgents do not have any tanks.

And no I am not watching something made by the Guerrilla News Network

I will leave that for the more gullible types like you.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

And no I am not watching something made by the Guerrilla News Network

I will leave that for the more gullible types like you.

You know shots is very sad that you think this way, the documentary was actually made by Iraqi people that fought alone side American forces to liberate Iraq.

Pity when people just refuse to deny ignorance.

The only gullible person here is you Shots and remember I am not offending you because you posted that first without motivation.

Pity.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

The only gullible person here is you Shots and remember I am not offending you because you posted that first without motivation.

Pity.

No, you see I had watched a portion of it. Then I realized what it truly was and took it for what it was a piece of propaganda.

Now will you kindly get back on topic? Thank you.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It's not exactly

is it?

Tragic.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Latest reports are saying that joint forces have detained approx 40 individuals and no media was allowed to be embedded. Smart move if you ask me loose lips ship sinks and the media is filled with leaks lately.

U.S., Iraq Launch Massive Air Assault

There was no bombing or firing from the air in the offensive northeast of Samarra, a town 60 miles north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said. All 50 aircraft were helicopters — Black Hawks, Apaches and Chinooks — used to ferry in and provide cover for the 1,450 Iraqi and U.S. troops.

The military said the assault — Operation Swarmer — aimed to clear "a suspected insurgent operating area" and would continue over several days.

Residents in the area of the assault reported a heavy U.S. and Iraqi troop presence and said large explosions could be heard in the distance. American forces routinely blow up structures they suspect as insurgent safe-houses or weapons depots. It was not known if they met any resistance, but the military reported detaining 41 people.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now if the operation is really successful, I am willing to bet they will prohibit the media in future operations also.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
We have all seen how he military can behave if the media is present....... Surely it can only mean more civil liberties are going to be swept aside if they are no longer allowed to "chaperone" these "missions"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join