It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle mission STS-108: cosmonaut freaking out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't even remember where I read it at this point, but I have read during the Space Shuttle STS-108 mission, a Russian cosmonaut that was with the shuttle crew went to do something outside the International Space Station and started to freak out for some reason. Going so far as to even begin to cry. Mission control from the ground was overheard saying something like "Don't worry about it, we're in control of the situation.".

I've been trying to find some kind of reference to this online, but have been unable to do so. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong mission, but I think I'm remembering the correct one. I'm sure this happened though.

Now, a lot of people could assume that what the cosmonaut was going nuts over was due to being out in space and the likely fear of being in such an odd situation. However, this was a guy trained to do these kinds of things.

[Edited on 19-9-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
He could be on drugs , who knows he might of been smoking weed up there. Probally tripped out off of all the stars .....lol

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sounds like he saw UFO's or something like that to me.
Was he crying from fear or joy? How could he be sad? Maybe he saw something on the earth that saddened him?

Interesting story heelstone, it is exactly this kind of incident that NASA don't like to talk about.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Maybe just the sheer fright of hanging in open space above the earth in a spacesuit freaked him out. It would freak me out.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Was this the shuttle disaster mission?

If so that was one crazy mission. I hears different things from all over the place. Like they were doing weather modification research. Then there was the whole thing with the "lightning" at 200+ miles up (yea right). I really wish I knew some more details on that mission. Maybe it was STS-107, can't remember. But the purple beam of light right before it broke up?!? Talk about scalar weapons. They probably seen the multiple alien bases orbitting the planet.

I think space would be cool with some w33d but not if there are earth conquering aliens chillin out there drooling over our succulant soft carcases. I'd have to go with a railgun and play me some Doom. Seriously, what was all the "killing alien games" practice for anyway?

"Here's your civilian issue railgun soldier, god speed. Oh yea, smoke this before you go it will help you concentrate on the task at hand"

"Yes Sir, I'll kick me some alien butt. I've been practicing for over a decade. Thank you Quake and Doom."

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Well, something is messed up about this story because no Cosmonaut participated in an STS-108 EVA, only two US astronauts.

The 3 man ISS Expedition 4 crew at the time was composed of a Russian commander (Onufriyenko) and two US astronauts (Walz and Bursch). ISS EVA's are always done with two people out. The first EVA was Walz and Bursch, so unless the Cosmonaut was freaking out INSIDE the ISS, this isn't it. The second EVA for the Expedition 4 crew was on January 25, 2002 and did include Onufriyenko. The third was Walz and Bursch again.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by uIVIa
Was this the shuttle disaster mission?

If so that was one crazy mission. I hears different things from all over the place. Like they were doing weather modification research. Then there was the whole thing with the "lightning" at 200+ miles up (yea right). I really wish I knew some more details on that mission. Maybe it was STS-107, can't remember. But the purple beam of light right before it broke up?!? Talk about scalar weapons. They probably seen the multiple alien bases orbitting the planet.

I think space would be cool with some w33d but not if there are earth conquering aliens chillin out there drooling over our succulant soft carcases. I'd have to go with a railgun and play me some Doom. Seriously, what was all the "killing alien games" practice for anyway?

"Here's your civilian issue railgun soldier, god speed. Oh yea, smoke this before you go it will help you concentrate on the task at hand"

"Yes Sir, I'll kick me some alien butt. I've been practicing for over a decade. Thank you Quake and Doom."

Where's T'ealc when you need him????

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Well, something is messed up about this story because no Cosmonaut participated in an STS-108 EVA, only two US astronauts.

The 3 man ISS Expedition 4 crew at the time was composed of a Russian commander (Onufriyenko) and two US astronauts (Walz and Bursch). ISS EVA's are always done with two people out. The first EVA was Walz and Bursch, so unless the Cosmonaut was freaking out INSIDE the ISS, this isn't it. The second EVA for the Expedition 4 crew was on January 25, 2002 and did include Onufriyenko. The third was Walz and Bursch again.

Yup. Like I mentioned, I may have gotten the mission number wrong.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 06:49 AM
link   
In Onufriyenko's list of EVAs it shows two EVAs during the Expedition 4 mission. So, there are now 2 possibilities for this.

Onufriyenko has a LOT of time in space and a LOT of time on EVAs.

www.spacefacts.de...

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I saw a program on Techtv called Secret,Strange and True.They were showing different former secret military space programs the Russians were conducting during the Cold War.In one of the programs 2 cosmonauts were sent up to a space station to do surveillance or something like that.Due to the heavy work schedule they were under one of the cosmonauts started to freak out.He radioed down to earth saying that he wanted to open the window to let fresh air in,also he started to believe his co-cosmonaut buddy was going to murder him.He was immediately sent back to earth for phsycological treatment.

new topics

top topics

join